Transrise: Mixed-Use Development At 4802 Caroline St.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/02/02/exclusive-museum-district-boutiquecondos-in.html&num=1&strip=1&vwsrc=0

Urban Flat Builders has several projects underway in the Museum District. In April 2017, it unveiled the Oaks on Caroline, a six-story, 28-unit midrise condo at 4820 Caroline Street. Click here to take a tour of that project. The developer's currently planning the Ridge on Caroline at 4802 Caroline St. These residential projects will be marketed as "sister projects" to one another.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

It looks like there are two owners for the parcels involved here.  A recently created entity, MayaHouTex, LLC, which acquired the Park and Ridge on Caroline lots in February of this year, and a gentlemen by the name of "Milton A Frost III."  Avishai Sivan appears to an owner of MayaHouTex, LLC.  I'll see if I can get more information on this.

As always, excellent work @Urbannizer.  This looks like it could be quite exciting.

• Like 6

Mixed-use development (need access to article) @houstontexasjack, @CrockpotandGravel

Also - disregard the 'rendering' HBJ uses for the article. It's more so of a placeholder to give a rough idea how tall the towers will rise.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/06/13/site-of-104-year-old-houston-business-to-become.html?iana=hpmvp_hstn_news_headline

A real estate developer is preparing to build a new mixed-use project on the site of one of Houston’s oldest businesses, which is closing June 29.

southern-importers-mixed-use-development

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Site of 104-year-old Houston business to become mixed-use development

Real estate developer Texas Group is preparing to build a new mixed-use project on the site of one of Houston’s oldest businesses.

Texas Group Principal Danna Sivan said her firm is about three weeks away from closing on the property occupied by Southern Importers, which has provided theatrical supplies and costumes to the Houston community for the past 104 years. Southern Importers announced June 13 that it will cease operating from its shop at 4825 San Jacinto St. in Houston’s Museum District on June 29. The store is in the process of liquidating its inventory.

Sivan declined to comment on how much Texas Group is paying for the property or the cost of the mixed-used development. However, the Harris County Appraisal District has valued the land and the building at $1.7 million combined.

Sivan said the mixed-use project is still in the planning phase and that details about the mix of office, retail and multifamily residential space was not yet available. The firm is also in the process of hiring a team to handle general contracting, design and engineering for the project.

The property is being replatted, she said, “in order to tap into transit corridor ordinance benefits.”

Once those steps are completed, Sivan said Texas Group wants to break ground on the project as soon as possible.

“The Museum District is going through a transformation, and we are excited to partake in shaping the upcoming neighborhood,” Sivan said.

Southern Importers has been a fixture of the Houston performing arts scene for the past century. Founded in 1915, the company was originally located on the second floor of the former Prince Theater at 320 Fannin St. Four of the company’s five employees have worked for Southern Importers for more than four decades.

“To sustain a family business for more than 100 years is pretty amazing. There’s nothing I love more than hearing customers come in and say how much they have enjoyed coming to the store over the years,” third-generation owner Mickey Frost said.

The list of celebrities the company has worked with reads like a “Who’s Who?” of the 20th century pop culture scene. Southern Importers has provided props and costumes to stars such as Beyonce, Phyllis Diller, Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, Gwen Verdon, Jo Anne Worley of "Laugh In," Tommy Tune, Patrick Swayze and ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons.

Frost, 78, took over the store from his parents in 1975 after working on aeronautics and spacecraft projects for Virginia-based General Dynamics Corp. for 10 years. He earned a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from Rice University.

“When my parents retired and I took over the store, it was before Halloween really took off as a big deal among adults,” Frost said. “We rode the crest of a wave for a good long while. But so much has changed in recent years.”

Internet retail shopping has taken a toll on Southern Importers' business and keeping the store open became “unsustainable,” Frost said.

Frost said he will miss working at Southern Importers but “the time has come” for it to close.

“We will be welcoming customers up to closing time on June 29,” he said. “So it’s a perfect time to come walk down memory lane with us and pick up some great bargains, too.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Southern Importers announced June 13 that it will cease operating from its shop at 4825 San Jacinto St. in Houston’s Museum District on June 29. The store is in the process of liquidating its inventory.

(a.k.a., The Real Headline Here....) 😢

This is a little selfish of me but I guess the flower districts days are numbered.... and I wish they weren't but I know the city is changing. I love going to Rosewood Flowers because the prices are so good there and I guess it has a special place in my heart since I was going to these flower places so often after my mom had her stroke (hospitalized frequently) but I guess things can't last forever... especially in that area. I know the flower places aren't going away now, but once these type of developments go in, they can only afford so much in higher property taxes.

• Like 6

For all the new mid and high rises going up in this part of the Museum District, the restaurant/bar/coffee offerings are plenty slim.  With Chelsea Market closing down, it's only gotten slimmer. Hopefully this project can be a catalyst for more dining options to complement the beautiful museums and churches and esplanades in the area.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, talltexan83 said:

For all the new mid and high rises going up in this part of the Museum District, the restaurant/bar/coffee offerings are plenty slim.  With Chelsea Market closing down, it's only gotten slimmer. Hopefully this project can be a catalyst for more dining options to complement the beautiful museums and churches and esplanades in the area.

Yeah, was just thinking that the other day. If you count all the apartments by Hermann Park, and then just keep going North, its becoming pretty dense, what with the Southmore and the new million dollar Condos that are right next to it. Wish more food/drinks stuff would open.

Thaaaaat said, we gotta support the jewel that is Lucille's. And Java Lava Brew cause theres nothing quite like it in the neighborhood as of now. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Urbannizer said:

Mixed-use development (need access to article) @houstontexasjack, @CrockpotandGravel

Also - disregard the 'rendering' HBJ uses for the article. It's more so of a placeholder to give a rough idea how tall the towers will rise.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/06/13/site-of-104-year-old-houston-business-to-become.html?iana=hpmvp_hstn_news_headline

Disappointed that this rendering is just a placeholder. Would love to see Allen Center come to the Museum District.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Store Closing Sale banner has been posted.

1z8ujYT.jpg

I get the realities of "progress" and I hope for the best with whatever replaces Southern Importers but it is sad to see this one go away. What fun we had buying costumes here for various parties and other events.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

I’ve heard the buyer isn’t really a developer. They owned an adjacent tract and are creating a larger development site. I wouldn’t be surprised if this hit the market soon. 

Thats interesting actually because the "render" isn't really anything, and instead it looks like merely a placeholder to advertise or reel in a potential developer for the site. You could be right on the money. Hopefully, the presentation will reveal the actual developer and architect involved.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Transrise: Mixed-Use Development For The Museum District
  • 7 months later...