Looking To Buy 1980s Style Contemporary Home

Lord Fairfax

Hi all! Long time lurker on HAIF and former Dallasite here.

I am going to be relocating to Houston in the next year (April-May). Since this will be a rather permanent relocation for at least the next 5-10 years (fingers crossed), I am looking to buy/renovate somewhere as convenient as possible to both IAH and US-59 SW corridor (I’m sure your laughing right now!). Furthermore, I absolutely love the contemporary home styles of the 1980s – large windows, soaring ceilings, courtyards, and geo-metric facades. 

Meeting all of this criteria, I’ve identified Fondren Southwest, Westbury, and Briarforest areas with a large stock of these home types and the convenience to my workplaces. Would you have any suggested neighborhoods of localities to check out beyond these areas – perhaps closer to IAH? I am certainly not limited to Houston’s municipal boundaries. I would say the only other parameter is I have a home budget of 315k including renovations.

I realize there is another forum going about this subject but the identified neighborhoods seems limited. Appreciate your words of advice!

I'd look in Jersey Village.  It has some late '70s / early '80s contemporary houses in your price range.  Jersey Village is actually a separate city, so that has helped it remain more stable than the other areas mentioned.  Access to IAH would be easy via Beltway 8.

The main drawback to the area is the construction on 290 makes getting into town difficult.  However, this project will eventually be completed.

Really? He included "Briarforest" which I am assuming is the road out by beltway 8 -- inside the beltway. Is there a crime problem there too now?

This area is a square bounded by Beltway 8 to the east, I-10, Westpark Toll road, an Grand Parkway. https://goo.gl/maps/MyLXsJJ8Km32I've found a lot of these home types on HAR. If home values are any indication of the neighborhood quality (over a million $$$ in some areas), I'm not sure crime is a problem around those parts  <_<

Regarding Fondren Southwest and Westbury, I've definitely seen home listings in places clearly in decline, but nothing to indicate the area is a "crime infested cesspools" Perhaps some clarity here? 

As for the other suggestions, thanks all! I'm certainly going to be checking out Oaks of Inwood and Jersey Village.

• The title was changed to Looking To Buy 1980s Style Contemporary Home

Archived