I-45 HOV/EXPRESS LANE EXTENDING FUTHER NORTH?

Going North on I-45 today past the HOV/EXPRESS exit, I noticed the concrete wall has been removed in last few days on inside/fast lane.  Is the HOV/Express lane being extended in near future?  Hope so!  But where will Woodlands exit be located?  I know 242 was mentioned in past as the extension point, but seems there would be exit @ Woodlands Parkway.  That would make more traffic congestion:(.  Anyone in the know?

Going North on I-45 today past the HOV/EXPRESS exit, I noticed the concrete wall has been removed in last few days on inside/fast lane.  Is the HOV/Express lane being extended in near future?  Hope so!  But where will Woodlands exit be located?  I know 242 was mentioned in past as the extension point, but seems there would be exit @ Woodlands Parkway.  That would make more traffic congestion:(.  Anyone in the know?

There will be two soft HOV lanes added to each side, rather than a hard single reversible lane in the middle.

Wow!  Can't wait for 2 on each side!  Being in my 70s & remembering here to Dallas 2 lanes, this is a "big thing::).  Hope I don't sound dumb, but if you could explain the difference between soft & hard lanes, I'd be most appreciative.  Thank you for sharing your information.  Let's enjoy the extra lanes!

I think it would be more like the US 290 HOV extension, for years it had a third lane between the two mainlanes, fully separated by concrete.

At some point in the early 2010s, the HOV lane was "extended" by making the inner shoulders HOV lanes and narrowing the existing lanes slightly.

Wow!  Can't wait for 2 on each side!  Being in my 70s & remembering here to Dallas 2 lanes, this is a "big thing: :).  Hope I don't sound dumb, but if you could explain the difference between soft & hard lanes, I'd be most appreciative.  Thank you for sharing your information.  Let's enjoy the extra lanes!

Sorry, I meant one lane for each side, two total.

Soft HOV lanes simply have a double line separating them from local traffic - there is no physical barrier. Hard HOV or express lanes usually have concrete Jersey barriers or metal barriers separating them from local traffic.

It appears that they're going to convert the current emergency lanes on each side to the HOV lanes, and then construct a permanent barrier in the middle.

Get ready to be infuriated by selfish single-occupant drivers who back up the new lanes, all before they start passing you in the parking lot that is I-45 Rush hour traffic.

Don't worry though, at least once a month METRO cops will patrol up and down and pull everyone over to satisfy you with a temporary feeling of justice and revenge.

Archived