El Expresso Bus Station At 2201 Main St.

terra002

Are the Greyhound or El Expreso bus stations ever going to move out of midtown/downtown? I realize its conveniently located near the downtown bus terminal, but now that the bus routes are not so centered around the downtown station, I dont see why it couldnt find a new home. Maybe closer to Amtrack or northeast of downtown? 

Why aren't all intercity bus lines unified at the Downtown Transit Center? Operate much like the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC. Does METRO prohibt such a set up? Wouldn't using METRO's terminal be much more financially responsible for Greyhound and the like instead of owning it's own?

The downtown transit center doesn't really have a waiting room really.  The small size of the Greyhound waiting room probably causes a lot of the current problems at the current location.  It would be nice to see an integrated station though

There's obvious problems with the current station. I've never been inside, but I can only assume there are no waiting areas. There's way too many people sleeping outside of the building, getting into fights, harassing people walking by, etc. There's nothing wrong with taking the Greyhound, its a great way to travel, but this station needs to be cleaned up or moved out.  

• Like 1

I know I've heard they own the land. I guess when someone offers them a good enough deal, they'll take it. Until then, probably not, and where would they go that makes as much sense as where they are (from a connectivity to transit sense)? Sure, people in midtown may be afraid of the clients of greyhound, but that's not going to be enough to compel them to move.

I know I've heard they own the land. I guess when someone offers them a good enough deal, they'll take it. Until then, probably not, and where would they go that makes as much sense as where they are (from a connectivity to transit sense)? Sure, people in midtown may be afraid of the clients of greyhound, but that's not going to be enough to compel them to move.

Just ignore them and move on. A lot of people are just scared of blacks and Mexicans. Like quivering scared. It boggles my mind.

Edited by Slick Vik

• 2 weeks later...

There's obvious problems with the current station. I've never been inside, but I can only assume there are no waiting areas. There's way too many people sleeping outside of the building, getting into fights, harassing people walking by, etc. There's nothing wrong with taking the Greyhound, its a great way to travel, but this station needs to be cleaned up or moved out.  

Did you think about doing some investigation before you made assumptions? Of course there are waiting areas inside for passengers. The people loitering outside aren't passengers. I live in the area and I'm pretty sure Greyhound isn't the cause of the issues you cite. In fact, they've been keeping their block under control lately. It's the combination of other things in the surrounding area (Pierce Elevated, McDonalds, convenience stores) that are the real draw for vagrants.

• Like 3

Its really not that bad. Its a typical inner city block near a bus station.

are you effin kidding me? theres people doing meth and crack right there on the block of the greyhound and the mcdonalds parking lot. dont even attempt to fool yourself or anyone else saying its not that bad. its the worst damn block in the city

• Like 2

are you effin kidding me? theres people doing meth and crack right there on the block of the greyhound and the mcdonalds parking lot. dont even attempt to fool yourself or anyone else saying its not that bad. its the worst damn block in the city

If that were true, don't you think there would be police set up to catch everyone? I think we might be stepping into stereotypes here

• Like 1

If that were true, don't you think there would be police set up to catch everyone? I think we might be stepping into stereotypes here

Much drug use, prostitution, and fighting go down here. It often provides entertainment for my buddy and me while drinking beers on his 2016 Main balcony.

I've seen some crazy stuff.

I'll never forget (maybe 2 years ago in the middle of the day) the prostitute standing against the newspaper stands in the McDonald's parking lot leaning over with her "back" to main. Let's just say her skirt was non existent as well as any underwear. There was plenty of cellulite though. I'll never be able to shake that image. The COH should sue Greyhound as a nuisance or something.

• Like 2

I walk that area every day, an it's not as bad as you claim. Not fooling myself one bit but my God get a grip. You act like every city block should be a nice clean suburb when in reality this is nothing compared to parts of Chicago or NYC. 

• Like 1

I'm almost positive that the police do care. Like, they really care in 2015...

I mean, did you see the drug? What kind was it? Pretty sure drug dealers are smart enough to not do a deal in front of police lol

Yeah I was about to say that as well... and besides that, so much focus is on one damn block yet we got half of the 3rd Ward, 5th Ward, and other areas that aren't getting any better and I don't see the public outcry there. My point is that this is one block that seems to stand out in Midtown, but sooner or later it will change and clean up as the city grows and gentrifies, everyone chill out already.

I'm almost positive that the police do care. Like, they really care in 2015...

I mean, did you see the drug? What kind was it? Pretty sure drug dealers are smart enough to not do a deal in front of police lol

I've also seen Houston police in uniform doing drugs. They know exactly where the drugs are being sold. They can round the people up anytime they want.

• Like 1

I've also seen Houston police in uniform doing drugs. They know exactly where the drugs are being sold. They can round the people up anytime they want.

So instead of alerting other officers, like calling 911, or getting their badge numbers to report them, you just watched them "do drugs" and determined the entirety of the HPD is getting high on the clock and not catching criminals?

I'm really not sure where you're going with this. Like, I know you're lying, and I don't care tbh, but I wanna know why.

• Like 1

So instead of alerting other officers, like calling 911, or getting their badge numbers to report them, you just watched them "do drugs" and determined the entirety of the HPD is getting high on the clock and not catching criminals?

I'm really not sure where you're going with this. Like, I know you're lying, and I don't care tbh, but I wanna know why.

Why the hostility? Why would I lie? I'm not going anywhere with it. It seems to have gotten a rise out of you though.

I'm not being hostile ("I don't care tbh"). You're making lofty claims and expecting anyone to believe it on hearsay, and considering those claims are "the police do drugs with the vagrants who sell the drugs on the streets", I'm inclined to think ur full of crap.

Besides, you never answered my question.

Edit; I guess what I'm trying to say, without sounding like an a$$, is why did you see these officers do these things and not report it? If you dislike cops because of the 2015 narrative cops have written for themselves, then say no more. I totally get that and agree with you. But if it's something else then I'm curious to hear.

Edited by BigFootsSocks

I'm not being hostile ("I don't care tbh"). You're making lofty claims and expecting anyone to believe it on hearsay, and considering those claims are "the police do drugs with the vagrants who sell the drugs on the streets", I'm inclined to think ur full of crap.

Edit; I guess what I'm trying to say, without sounding like an poopy head, is why did you see these officers do these things and not report it? If you dislike cops because of the 2015 narrative cops have written for themselves, then say no more. I totally get that and agree with you. But if it's something else then I'm curious to hear.

I never said I dislike cops.

I will not tell you why I didn't report it.

I don't really care if you believe me or not. You are the one arguing with me. I just put my experience out there. If you have a problem with it, I suggest that is your problem, not mine. I've not said that you are full of crap or a liar, you are the one insulting people here. 

Edit; I guess what I'm trying to say, without sounding like an poopy head, is why did you see these officers do these things and not report it? If you dislike cops because of the 2015 narrative cops have written for themselves, then say no more. I totally get that and agree with you. But if it's something else then I'm curious to hear.

I also never said "the police do drugs with the vagrants who sell drugs on the streets". You are reading a lot into my comment that is not there. You really shouldn't do that. Just read the post, take nothing more from it than what is said.

I also never said "the police do drugs with the vagrants who sell drugs on the streets". You are reading a lot into my comment that is not there. You really shouldn't do that. Just read the post, take nothing more from it than what is said.

I'm so very confused by these contradictory statements. You just said you've seen police do drugs on a discussion about the drug activity by homeless people on this block. So, if you didn't mean the police were doing drugs with/by/near them, I get that, but why bring it up in the first place if it has nothing to do with your argument?

Anyway, if you can't tell me why you didn't report it, then I have no reason to believe you.

I am done with this, if you wanna talk further you can PM me.

I had forgotten what my argument was after being interrogated. After looking back through the posts now I remember that it was this post. You are accusing people of stereotyping, in what way is a mystery to me. It seems that you are very naive as to the nature of drug and prostitution activity in Houston. I brought up a couple examples and you seemed to get ticked off by that. I'm sorry I touched a nerve here. People accusing others of "stereotyping" touches a nerve with me.