CenterPoint Energy Upgrading To LED Streetlights

BeerNut

Has anyone else had Centerpoint upgrade pole lighting in their neighborhood?  I was out of town for a few days and noticed the street lighting was much improved near my home when I returned.  My gf didn't notice the change from the orangish light to crazy bright white led but that was the first thing I saw when I got home.   They didn't change all of them her near my Third Ward home but the one across the street and a few down the block are new.  

Centerpoint been doing this since about May. That's when I first started noticing them going up. They have had most of the street lamps along Jensen and in the Trinity Gardens and Kashmere Gardens areas upgraded to LED since the summer.

Overhead street lights along Harrisburg seem to have been upgraded to LED lights as well within the last few weeks. The inner neighborhood street lights are still the same orange tinted ones. Is this being done on major corridors only or will all streets eventually be replaced with LED?

I'd expect all streetlights to eventually be replaced with LEDs. They recently started swapping out the old lights in my neighborhood. 

This thread reminded me of an article that ran in the Sunday Times a little over a week ago discussing the same transition in NYC and objecting to the perceived ills of blue-spectrum LED lights:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/opinion/sunday/ruining-that-moody-urban-glow.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1&referer=

• The title was changed to CenterPoint Energy Upgrading To LED Streetlights

Archived