Kirby Mansion: Proposed 15-Story High-Rise At 2000 Smith St.

Urbannizer

I really hate that the Kirby Mansion is in danger ........and regret that some one at COH didn’t come up with the idea years ago that Houston may have been ready for a Mayoral official residence. I think I remember Lee Brown toyed with that idea.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why can't a non-profit buy this for their offices? No taxes to pay since they'e a non-profit, great for employee retention. My cousin works for a non-profit in Boston that offices in an old mansion. Where are the creative people in this town? There's a huge upsurge of interest in living and working in central Houston as well as growing appreciation for history, but you still have these little episodes that remind you of the old, philistine Houston.

• 1 month later...

The Tudor-revival mansion that sits along the bend in I-45 at 2000 Smith St. has been sold to the owner of several car dealerships, including Central Houston Nissan on the S. Loop off the South Main/Buffalo Speedway exit and Central Houston Cadillac off McGowen St. between Travis and Main. Prior to the closing earlier this month, Preservation Houston reported that the buyer didn’t plan to keep the house standing.

Nine blocks away from it, the new owner Ricardo Weitz also has all 3 of the parking lots that surround his Cadillac dealership to the north, east, and west. He purchased the mansion through an entity he owns called Central Houston Auto Properties II.

http://swamplot.com/midtown-kirby-mansion-sold-to-midtown-car-dealership-owner/2018-08-20/

4 minutes ago, Timoric said:

What if we get this?

1.jpg

So what? There are plenty of other empty Midtown lots such a project could be built on. 

Tearing down the Kirby Mansion is downright criminal. The “historic preservation” in this city is completely laughable at this point. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:42 AM, trymahjong said:

I really hate that the Kirby Mansion is in danger ........and regret that some one at COH didn’t come up with the idea years ago that Houston may have been ready for a Mayoral official residence. I think I remember Lee Brown toyed with that idea.

I agree, like the Gracie Mansion in New York City, the Kirby Mansion could serve as the "official residence" of the mayor. That doesn't mean he or she has to  sleep there but it would be wonderful for official receptions, special ceremonies, and visiting dignitaries' overnight visits.

IIRC, former New York mayor, Ed Koch (a bachelor at the time) was the only NYC mayor in modern times to actually reside in the Gracie Mansion. I doubt Michael Bloomberg, Rudy Giuliani, or Bill de Blasio even considered living there.

Forty, thirty, even twenty years ago it made sense to have auto dealerships in Midtown. There was a lot of vacant land and not much demand for it.
They have definitely worn out their welcome. Surface parking lots are bad enough, but at least they provide a service to the community. I don't care if they are Cadillacs and BMWs - they're eyesores, and dead spots in one of the few walkable neighborhoods in Houston. 
And now some douchebag thinks he needs to demolish one of the most unique, historic, and beautiful houses in Houston to provide parking for even more of his yahoo-wagons? 
(BTW, I'm already aware that Houston has no zoning laws, that people have the right to do with their property what they wish, that it's all about the Benjamins, etc. Save it.)

edit: Let's not forget that Midtown Advantage BMW demolished the Rice mansion (Beyoncé's house) just last year. Has this turned into some sort of bizarre contest?

What a feature this gorgeous, one of a kind, old home would make, once the Pierce Elevated is removed.  It is distressing to think that a car dealership will have such a prominent location along the new Pierce Parkway...or whatever it will be.  It's "F"ed up. 

Maybe the silver lining is that the dealerships will start building vertical, freeing up many blocks of prime real estate in midtown for development.

I don't think these guys paid what they (probably $100+psf) to build a surface lot.

This is the original house of John Henry Kirby? There was a remodel I read.

Edit:

The mansion was built in 1894 by businessman J.S. Price and was sold to lumber magnate John Henry Kirby two years later. Kirby remodeled and enlarged the house twice; the second remodeling, an extensive addition and reconstruction designed by architect James Ruskin Bailey and completed in 1926, resulted in the 36-room Tudor Revival-style building that stands today.

http://www.preservationhouston.org/news/2018/6/20/kirby-mansion-in-midtown-could-be-demolished

11 hours ago, Specwriter said:

I agree, like the Gracie Mansion in New York City, the Kirby Mansion could serve as the "official residence" of the mayor. That doesn't mean he or she has to  sleep there but it would be wonderful for official receptions, special ceremonies, and visiting dignitaries' overnight visits.

IIRC, former New York mayor, Ed Koch (a bachelor at the time) was the only NYC mayor in modern times to actually reside in the Gracie Mansion. I doubt Michael Bloomberg, Rudy Giuliani, or Bill de Blasio even considered living there.

Bloomberg was the only NYC mayor in recent history who did not live in Gracie Mansion. De Blasio and his family live there now (although I believe they kept their house in Park Slope and rented it out). 

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/gracie/about/about.page

39 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

Bloomberg was the only NYC mayor in recent history who did not live in Gracie Mansion. De Blasio and his family live there now (although I believe they kept their house in Park Slope and rented it out). 

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/gracie/about/about.pageI sho

Thanks for the clarification. I guess my recollection is not very good. :(  When the mansion was built in 1799 by Archibald Gracie it was five miles from "town."

Archived