Kirby Mansion: Proposed 15-Story High-Rise At 2000 Smith St.

Urbannizer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that this a baby version of the one by DG and it wouldn't be so bad except for bland design.  At lease the original incorporates the podium better and, in my opinion, it's because of the way they break up the face with contrasting brickwork.  It may be harder to achieve a desirable look on this one since half of the damn structure is a garage.

The other building for reference:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7537955,-95.35783,412a,20y,270h,41.64t/data=!3m1!1e3

I for one think this is a very nice design. Houston needs more buildings with a more classical look such as this one. Modern buildings will look good for a few years but a few years down the road, they will look outdated and sort of bland until they come back in style much later(and if they even do). The feeling I get with a bunch of the brutalist styled architecture around town. I for one am happy with this and that it will have ground floor retail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

https://www.chron.com/business/article/Fears-mount-as-rumors-spread-that-Kirby-Mansion-13008528.php

Looks like this one was canned and now the mansion is in danger of being demo'd

In 2015, Houston venture capitalist Dennis Murphree briefly contracted with the owner to buy the building and renovate the mansion as part of a larger development that included a high-rise.

“We love the Kirby Mansion and tried to restore and redevelop the site but the financing markets just weren’t ready for a development in Houston at that time,” Murphree said Tuesday. “We decided to drop the project and still hope for someone else to make that block what it can be.”

The future of the Kirby Mansion, a 1920s English-style manor on the cusp of downtown, is in peril as a buyer seeks to purchase the historic property, according to people familiar with the sale.

Just now, AREJAY said:

https://www.chron.com/business/article/Fears-mount-as-rumors-spread-that-Kirby-Mansion-13008528.php

Looks like this one was canned and now the mansion is in danger of being demo'd

It hasn't even been sold yet so no it's not in danger of being demo'd. I think everyone involved with the building are trying to designate it as a landmark to prevent a future owner from demolishing it. I feel all of this is just precautionary. 

5 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It hasn't even been sold yet so no it's not in danger of being demo'd. I think everyone involved with the building are trying to designate it as a landmark to prevent a future owner from demolishing it. I feel all of this is just precautionary. 

Not my words, just summarizing what is in the article... 

The future of the Kirby Mansion, a 1920s English-style manor on the cusp of downtown, is in peril as a buyer seeks to purchase the historic property, according to people familiar with the sale.

Preservationists fear the two-story red brick estate at 2000 Smith, developed just before the Great Depression, could become the latest of the city’s dwindling supply of historic and architecturally significant properties to vanish.

“It’s fair to say the building is potentially in danger,” said Minnette Boesel,a longtime preservation advocate who chairs the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission.

Just now, AREJAY said:

Not my words, just summarizing what is in the article... 

“It’s fair to say the building is potentially in danger,”

In other words, whoever buys the property has the potential to not care about its historical significance and demolish it. I'm also crossing my fingers but IMO the trend so far tells me there's a good chance of preservation. 

5 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Damn, source?

http://swamplot.com/what-chance-does-the-kirby-mansion-stand-to-stay-standing-under-new-ownership/2018-06-20/

The demolition watchdogs over at Preservation Houston report that a buyer has the 36-room Midtown mansion on the corner of Pierce and Smith St. under contract and “does not intend to retain the building.”

Sounds like it's in danger 

I will chain myself to this beauty before I let this get torn down willingly...

I learned my lesson with that crappy hotel by the Alley Theater... It got some of it's due justice... being flooded... Although the family who ran it and sold it may not have been affected. I don't know how they can sleep at night.

8 minutes ago, Avossos said:

I will chain myself to this beauty before I let this get torn down willingly...

I learned my lesson with that crappy hotel by the Alley Theater... It got some of it's due justice... being flooded... Although the family who ran it and sold it may not have been affected. I don't know how they can sleep at night.

I imagine they sleep just fine on their mattresses filled with money.

The Kirbys took in a cousin of mine that was abandoned by her mother and raised her as their own. If I owned this place and could make more money by pushing it down and building a high rise or selling it to someone else to do the same thing I would. Keeping this building is going to cause someone to lose a lot of money. I wouldn't sacrifice a few million for other people to be able to drive by and say "Neat... an old house."  You'd have to pay me for that luxury. 

Looks like the appraised value is about $4 million. I bet it will go for more. If we want to see how much people really care about this building someone should start a fund raiser to buy it. That’s the perfect mechanism for finding out if people really care or if they just like to b**ch.

23 minutes ago, jgriff said:

Looks like the appraised value is about $4 million. I bet it will go for more. If we want to see how much people really care about this building someone should start a fund raiser to buy it. That’s the perfect mechanism for finding out if people really care or if they just like to b**ch.

I think you're missing the actual point. This has nothing to do with just some house. This is a foundation piece of the city. With so many empty blocks surrounding this property, why does it have to be this one to be threatened by another developer? When you destroy every little thing a city is made of, it's like building a new city every time and you begin to lose who you are. Houston is just now starting to build smarter but great cities add to what they have, they don't destroy what they have in hopes of the grass being greener on the other side, because it isn't. You lose history which is very important. 

8 hours ago, jgriff said:

The Kirbys took in a cousin of mine that was abandoned by her mother and raised her as their own. If I owned this place and could make more money by pushing it down and building a high rise or selling it to someone else to do the same thing I would. Keeping this building is going to cause someone to lose a lot of money. I wouldn't sacrifice a few million for other people to be able to drive by and say "Neat... an old house."  You'd have to pay me for that luxury. 

You can apply that same logic to national parks. Should we cut down all the trees in Yellow Stone and start strip mining the land to make more money? Why not tear down the Esperson building down town and replace it with some soulless glass box that will surly be more profitable? 

I'm all for historical preservation, and in fact I've worked on projects/repairs at the Esperson building. I have a nice set of the architectual drawings Ive been trying to restore. 

Anyway, I dont really find your national parks and city architecture metaphor to be equitable. Perhaps youre being intentionally hyperbolic, and thats fine. In my opinion, with cities I think theres a balance between preservation/restoration/and demolition/new construction. This balance allows a city to remain dynamic, competitive, and grow. 

To be fair, I'm speaking a little bit of ignorance here. I'm aware of the Kirby Mansion. However, I'm unfamiliar with the historical significance. My opinions on that specific building are neutral at best. 

Archived