Safest Place To Lock My Bike Downtown

So my office is moving downtown (yay for me!), I live at telephone and lockwood, about 3 miles east of downtown. 

As a result I am going to plan on riding my bike a lot instead of driving.

Is there anyplace downtown that would be considered 'safe' to lock my bike? Covered? Maybe even a bike valet for a few bucks a day? Should I just buy the cheapest bike walmart has and expect to replace it every time it gets stolen (still cheaper than driving and parking) off the rack in front of the building? I can maybe just bring it up to my office until someone tells me I'm not allowed to do that.

I have a few months before the move happens, so I'll have time to ride around and explore my best route, and the area around the building (chase tower, texas commerce tower, tallest tower in Houston, 2nd tallest tower west of the mississippi, etc). 

Looking forward to this move, but I need to find a safe place to store the bike!

So my office is moving downtown (yay for me!), I live at telephone and lockwood, about 3 miles east of downtown. 

Is there anyplace downtown that would be considered 'safe' to lock my bike? Covered? Maybe even a bike valet for a few bucks a day? Should I just buy the cheapest bike walmart has and expect to replace it every time it gets stolen (still cheaper than driving and parking) off the rack in front of the building? I can maybe just bring it up to my office until someone tells me I'm not allowed to do that.

I have a few months before the move happens, so I'll have time to ride around and explore my best route, and the area around the building (chase tower, texas commerce tower, tallest tower in Houston, 2nd tallest tower west of the mississippi, etc). 

Looking forward to this move, but I need to find a safe place to store the bike!

Check the McKinney/Travis corner of the 919 Milam building. It has a garage in the base, and I have seen a bike rack through the glass right at that corner. How to access it is another question, and a good one because it is not obvious how to get to a bike locked up there.

Not sure if property management would have a problem with that, but I've only seen one bike there, and it was high end so it caught my eye.

Also check with your new building, there may be some space inside around a loading dock.

I think the covered bike racks on the 800 block of Louisiana were removed earlier this year. Maybe they were just moved, but if so, I can't find them.

Many buildings now have safe places for bike parking. Try asking your building management (or even the security desk) and maybe they can help. My building has a room dedicated to bike storage, complete with a repair stand and pump, in the basement.

You need one of these...

230_kryfg6_0.jpg

I use one on the beat-up huffy I ride around on for errands.  I think the lock itself cost more than what the bike cost 25 years ago when I bought it.  I figure no one's going to bother trying to get through this thing just to steal an old bike.

Check some of the parking garages near your work place. Several of the garages that I am aware of have bike racks. Technically, those racks are kinda, sorta supposed to be for the employees of some of the businesses that they service but, frankly, there is no real way for them to know that for a bike rider.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I have a pretty hefty chain. I won't relish carrying it every day because it weighs about 15 lbs on its own. 

I suspect I'll probably end up with a ulock due to convenience and weight, but I don't think they're as secure as a big chain.

I rode by the Chase tower on Monday and asked one of the security guards about bike facilities, he said none at the Chase tower, and no, I can't bring my bike up to my office.

Our office has a contract with 601 Travis garage, and I tried to find someone around that location to ask about it, but there was no one there that looked at all tied to the building.

I suppose that you have already seen the racks in the picture blow along Travis, but it might make you feel better about using them to know that the bike messengers downtown use the little parklet/smoking area up on the elevated portion behind the racks as a staging/waiting area pretty much all the time.  You might ask them what they think or if they have good ideas for a safer place. Most of them ride decent bikes.

dDxo37T.png

• 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Safest Place To Lock My Bike Downtown?
  • The title was changed to Safest Place To Lock My Bike Downtown

Archived