Explain your HAIF username

Howard Huge

The origin of my username goes back to the year Dickety seven. We had to say Dickety because the kaiser had stolen the phrase "two thousand". I chased him down and got the phrase back, but he stole my beautiful and exquisite username while my back was turned, so I had to replace it with some gibberish. ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanith: character from star wars strip comic back in the 70s.  I thought it was unique so it was my character name all through my dungeons and dragons years, is my avatar name whenever I play Fallout or Elder Scrolls or any other rpg type game, and when the internet came of age it was only appropriate that it carry over into the digital world.  27 is my birthday, so thats that.

My name is Sam, I used to play lasertag competitively where they made you adopt a 'code name' while playing. I chose Paragon, because well, as it pertains to lasertag, I am (or was) a paragon (and I was sure of my ability).

So anyway, other people started playing regularly and we all started hanging out as friends and playing competitively together. (two time national champion, five time regional champion, and plenty of 2nds and 3rds, and other tournament wins as well, not to brag or anything...).

We felt it was in our mutual best interests to learn each others real names. Cause what worse than admitting you play lasertag competitively, than to see one of your friends that you play competitive lasertag with in a mall and yelling out "Hey Capri Sun!" (capri sun being another name used by one of my friends). So we chose to learn each others real names so if we ever met in a mall we could call each other by our real names. This was all back in our late teens/early twenties when we seemed to think it would matter whether random people knew. 

Someone at some point during this whole process of attempting to mask our dorkiness, decided to smash Sam and Paragon together, thus the name Samagon was born. Now, 20 years later, friends still call me Samagon, and I chose to adopt it as my online persona for all forums.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with misspelled Russian moonshine.

I was thinking "Hey, didn't we have this username thing before? I'm sure I've explained mine before."

Turns out I was right, though the discussion in question was 7 years ago. http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/17332-what-does-your-haif-name-mean/page-3

seven years ago some of these members were just learning to read.

I was thinking "Hey, didn't we have this username thing before? I'm sure I've explained mine before."

Turns out I was right, though the discussion in question was 7 years ago. http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/17332-what-does-your-haif-name-mean/page-3

Some HAIF nostalgia in that thread.  I had forgotten a lot of those members.  Interesting to think at some point they signed off and then never signed back in.  I guess I haven't been able to kick the habit.

For those wondering about the other thread, I think I concluded that I got my nostalgia mixed up, I think I was thinking of the Luby's corporate building in retrospect. Other than that, the SimCity-based idea was the one that got it started. Plus that was the time when I was trying to think of a new "Internet moniker" that I could use for things. What ended up happening was IronTiger became completely unique to HAIF, and tbh, I'm happy that way.

My original username on HAIF was Lunatic Fringe. I don't know. Just the first name that came to mind when I joined several years ago. Must of had that song in my head at the time.  Song is older than a lot of HAIFers, which tells you how old I am.  Later I shortened it to just Fringe. i figured that fit since I live out on the fringe of the Houston area. 

Originally my username was "UpuPUp!". Wacky, but it was the only thing I could think of as I was excited to see projects going up. I joined HAIF when I was 14 (I'm 20 now).

Being a fan of the song womanizer and urban development, formed my current username a few years later.  :)

Originally my username was "UpuPUp!". Wacky, but it was the only thing I could think of as I was excited to see projects going up. I joined HAIF when I was 14 (I'm 20 now).

Being a fan of the song womanizer and urban development, formed my current username a few years later. :)

I had a guess that was the inspiration. Not only because I would sing it in my head but your avatars of female pop singers gave it away.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is a nod to our family's trucking company that was started by my Grandpa's brother in Paterson NJ in the 60's. In the mid to late 70's, he decided to open another terminal in Houston, and appointed my Grandpa to run that one. So that is how my family got to Houston as well (before I was born). My dad drove for them as did 2 of my uncles. The Houston terminal started out in the warehouse district at the East Loop at McCarty behind the Wendy's, then moved to Mesa Rd off of Wallisville, and wound up off of Hwy 90 just outside of Liberty in Ames. That was the last terminal when we were bought out by Quality Carriers in the early 200's.

Side note, this the only online application that I didn't use my usual username of Frito-Bandito, lol.

Mine is a nod to our family's trucking company that was started by my Grandpa's brother in Paterson NJ in the 60's. In the mid to late 70's, he decided to open another terminal in Houston, and appointed my Grandpa to run that one. So that is how my family got to Houston as well (before I was born). My dad drove for them as did 2 of my uncles. The Houston terminal started out in the warehouse district at the East Loop at McCarty behind the Wendy's, then moved to Mesa Rd off of Wallisville, and wound up off of Hwy 90 just outside of Liberty in Ames. That was the last terminal when we were bought out by Quality Carriers in the early 200's.

Side note, this the only online application that I didn't use my usual username of Frito-Bandito, lol.

What a missed opportunity mate. That's pretty great.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My name is the same from my profiles on ClutchFans & BigSoccer.

I first used the name on Clutchfans 14 years ago when I created my profile there. It's origin is from a piece of jewelry containing a Tiger's Eye Quartz that was gifted to me. It didn't have any particular significance at the time and I don't know what I was thinking about then when I came up with the moniker. I don't even know what happened to the jewelry lol

The name bestowed upon my first car, a 1972 Dodge Demon. It's my favorite, so it received a cool (to me) name.

Although, "the Boss" is a pretty good name for my convertible, but that one's the sole courtesy of the Ford motor company.

Archived