Ivy Lofts: Condominium High-Rise At 2604 Leeland St.

Unfortunately there hasn't seemed to be much news on the streetcar in a couple years.. Hopefully they still plan on building it. Does anyone know more about the plans?

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/East-s-End-s-desire-named-streetcar-3848947.php

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/11-02-12-its-full-speed-ahead-on-streetcars-in-eado-public-transit-plans-routes-are-revealed/

That area definitely needs a grocery store. Thats one of the biggest reasons I decided not to buy in Eado. Im in midtown and am within a quick drive from three Krogers, Heb, Randalls, Whole Foods, Phoenicia, Walmart, Target, Trader Joes, Sprouts, and Fiesta.   There's a Fiesta and a crappy little Kroger on the east side, thats it...

• Like 2

Midtown Randalls is crappy. In fact, I rate kombat kroger (the one on polk and cullen) higher than the midtown Randalls. They have a consistent stock of things. I can't tell you how many times I have gone into midtown randalls looking for something they had last week to see the shelf empty. Always random. Making me end up with an extra trip somewhere else to get what I need.

I'd be so bold as to make the statement that the midtown randalls is the worst grocery store inside the loop.

The gulfgate HEB is just as close/far as the montrose HEB, timewise, if not distance.

Target, Sprouts, those are both equidistant from midtown or eado. time and distance.

Walmart, I'd say the one on wayside is closer to eado than yale is to midtown. time and distance.

Phoenicia is definitely closer to most of eado than midtown. time and distance.

So trader joes is the only thing that isn't absolutely as easily accessible from eado as midtown?

Not that I'm saying it wouldn't be awesome if there were a better grocery store in the very near east end, I'm just saying that currently Midtown isn't some panacea of food when directly compared with the very near east end.

Edited by samagon

Much of that is only true by car. I genuinely don't understand the point of living in the central city and then driving everywhere. 

They are also building a Whole Foods in Midtown, and while the Randalls and Fiesta aren't fantastic, they're a whole lot better then nothing. 

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 2

Much of that is only true by car. I genuinely don't understand the point of living in the central city and then driving everywhere. 

They are also building a Whole Foods in Midtown, and while the Randalls and Fiesta aren't fantastic, they're a whole lot better then nothing. 

Fair enough.

There's houses, but nothing else. Its not an urban neighborhood. If you have to drive to get everywhere, you may as well live in the suburbs.  Also, keep in mind, I am not referring to Navigation/ Harrisburg, I am speaking of the area south of the railroad. 

Not sure if you have even been over here....BBVA compass....new apartments, bike trails, gyms, restaurants, breweries, clubs - it's not as dense as Midtown but to say there is "nothing else" is just not true - I routinely walk or bike to all those "nothings"

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 5

There's houses, but nothing else. Its not an urban neighborhood. If you have to drive to get everywhere, you may as well live in the suburbs.  Also, keep in mind, I am not referring to Navigation/ Harrisburg, I am speaking of the area south of the railroad. 

What are you talking about!? It's an inner city neighborhood. Yes it's an urban area. 

I have lived in EaDo for almost 2 years now (moved from Midtown)....I have no trouble getting food....traffic is non-existent compared to Midtown

I've lived near telephone and Lawndale for about 7 years. Traffic is non existent because people don't use it as a way to get somewhere else. People drive through midtown, so many roads in the near East end aren't through roads. McKinney goes through, Polk goes through, Leeland goes through. Midtown east/west/north/south, every street gets through somewhere.

Eado will grow into what midtown is, but it will be better because there will always be less through traffic for people who want to be there to deal with.

• Like 2

Butt hurt much? People don't go down telephone and lawndale bc they don't want to get robbed. Maybe in 20 yrs...

Based on your replies in this thread, I couldn't care less what you think. At first your response about the grocery stores being why you chose midtown to buy a home was factually incorrect, so I spent the time correcting you, cause them's facts. Then you said the entirety of the east side sucked. You're entitled to your opinion, I hardly agree with it, but whatever. 

Why would I get butt hurt over your opinion? And a clearly jaded opinion at that. 

Personally, I like the lack of traffic.

I like that people like you stay away from the east end. 

I like grocery shopping at the fiesta on wayside.

I like that I can get on my bicycle and ride down telephone road without worry that some guy who feels he is entitled to more of the road than me decides to 'teach me a lesson' me, and I wake up 3 months later in a hospital bed from said lesson.

I weep for the day that people like you decide that the east end is the place to live.

I'll have to deal with traffic.

I'll have to deal with pretentious self absorbed beings who will think they have more of a right to declare to me what I do with my property than I do. 

Simply put, I like that you and people like you don't like my neighborhood, so I am the exact opposite of butt hurt, I am ecstatic.

I must confess though, I am butt hurt, if only just a little bit, that eado is actually catching on as a name for the near east end. I feel like part of my soul is dying each time I hear its utterance.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 8

Eado, East Downtown, or as I like to call it O-Chi (Old Chinatown) as well as the Greater East End has far less crime than midtown. I'm with Samagon .... less traffic is better. People will feel safer walking and biking around the neighborhood. The odds of getting hit by a drunk bro in his leased entry level luxury ride is far too high in Midtown  :D

• Like 5

I was on Telephone last night. I didn't get robbed but I did get fed. Oh, Kanomwan, how I missed you. Love it when out of town guests make that request.

I always plan on going there, but never remember, I have put a reminder in my phone to go there next Wednesday, seems like the perfect place to eat the day before thanksgiving!

You guys are effin delusional. They are CATTERING to the Midtown crowd. The crowd that is douchy and drives that leased bmw is what they want. Do you think people who care about traffic and the drunk bros are people that r going to be buying micro units of 400 sq st. Its the douchy drunk bros who buy those type of units.

This project will fail, theres nothing walking distance, you can call 3 to 6 blocks supposedly walking distance but people who want that city life and micro units want to walk a block to bars and restaurants.

No one in midtown complains about the randalls there, we all love it.

• Like 2