Ivy Lofts: Condominium High-Rise At 2604 Leeland St.

So, they are going to open a Sales Center in April, sell all 550 units in two months and break ground in June?

60 days. 550 units. ~ 10 units a day, every day, seven days a week.

Though I cannot see this happening, I wish them luck. Harkens back to the sales office at Levittown

I can't imagine a developer being overly optimistic. I'm pretty sure that never has happened.

• Like 1

22583125038_4945141eb6_o.jpg

I like this render better - looks really nice.  I see how they'll sell these - no one wants to buy a tiny condo, but people will want to buy "The Tokyo" or the "The Barcelona"  I could even see with decorating the interior with nightlife scenes, landscapes, etc of the appropriate city.

I agree, now that I see the interior renderings I'm reminded of my time in Tokyo.  The units are small, but every square inch of space is designed with a purpose.  And a bed is one of the most useless spaces in a home when you're not in it.  My only hope is that the doorways are higher than the Japanese standard, as that was a constant pain in the forehead.

http://www.papercitymag.com/interiors/new-mini-condos-to-rise-in-eado-smaller-living-trend-finally-reaches-houston-in-a-big-way/

If the micro-unit concept works, Dinh says, the developer plans to build two larger projects in Houston, “building more than 1,200 condo units with even more ‘affordable’ price.”
  • Like 3

I think this would do much better in downtown. This needs to be in a walkable area with mass transit. 

This is 10 (not particularly pleasant) blocks from the nearest light rail station. It's hard to get much further from light rail than this and still be in EaDo.

That said, CoH will require them to put in 700 or so parking spaces no matter how walkable the neighborhood is.

It will take a lot of development around this building to make it worthwhile. If i were going to live in a place like this, i would want to be able to walk to restaurants, bars, a grocery store, shops, etc... There's really nothing out here. Im well aware that this will change, but why not build this in prime location. 

It will take a lot of development around this building to make it worthwhile. If i were going to live in a place like this, i would want to be able to walk to restaurants, bars, a grocery store, shops, etc... There's really nothing out here. Im well aware that this will change, but why not build this in prime location. 

Because prime locations cost a lot more money.

• Like 1

It will still cost more? If they have the same amount of units at the same price then they wont make as much.

If they *sell* the same number of units at the same price they won't make as much. But if they sell no units or don't even get it built because of the location, they make significantly less than if they invested in a desirable location.

Edited by Alec
  • Like 1

"Desirable location" is all relative. I've lived in the area for 10 years and plan on reinvesting in it simply because of the potential the neighborhood has.  The person interested in this type of property is more willing to bet on a less established part of town. In my opinion, there are plenty of people looking for something like this, whether it be for their primary home or as a rental unit.

• Like 4

Many restaurants and bars, that already exist or are in the works sit just 3-6 blocks away. Only 2-3 blocks away, plans for a massive grocery store are in the works. The hike/bike trail is only a few blocks East. A lot is planned for this area that I believe will yield good results for this type of development.

• Like 1

For the money they are charging, they might even have their own little bus, like a hotel does, that basically just shuttles back and forth to the closest rail station every 15 minutes.

And while we're talking about amenities they should offer, a bike room, each person gets a little space to park a bike, maybe even an onsite service to maintain owners bikes.

Many restaurants and bars, that already exist or are in the works sit just 3-6 blocks away. Only 2-3 blocks away, plans for a massive grocery store are in the works. The hike/bike trail is only a few blocks East. A lot is planned for this area that I believe will yield good results for this type of development.

Please tell me more about this massive grocery store 2-3 blocks away? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

Edited by samagon

For the money they are charging, they might even have their own little bus, like a hotel does, that basically just shuttles back and forth to the closest rail station every 15 minutes.

And while we're talking about amenities they should offer, a bike room, each person gets a little space to park a bike, maybe even an onsite service to maintain owners bikes.

Please tell me more about this massive grocery store 2-3 blocks away? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

The bike storage/maintenance is starting to become more common I believe. About time..

Is this near the fabled East End streetcar route? Speaking of.. Is that proposal completely dead or is it moving forward behind the scenes?