The Highbank: Multifamily At 8877 Frankway Dr.

AREJAY

Hey guys,

Wasn't sure where to put this, so please move if it's in the incorrect place.

I was browsing recent permits in my zip code and came across what looks like permits for a new apartment complex:

Which appears to be on this 3 acre plot for sale:

http://www.read-king.com/property/frankway-braeswood-blvd

So my questions to you guys are, how can I find out any more information on this project? Does the fact that permits are going through mean that these apartments are being built? Do you guys have any other means to dig up some more information?  Do the numbers within "NEW APARTMENTS 1-5-3-R2-A (MASTER OF 5) 100% SPR 2006 IBC" hold any information? 

Thanks, this is mostly for my curiosity's sake. 

So far I have found the builder, Allen Harris as well as a small blurb that it will be "284 units of urban mid-rise apartment homes" to break ground in May 2016

http://www.allenharrisonco.com/allen-harrison-2015-summer-update/

AHC-Summer-Update-2015-New-Size1.png

Google Earth/Maps  is awesome, sometimes when I am bored I do two things.

1. Map the longest drive in the world - so far South Africa to Siberia is a winner.

2. Find trailer homes inside Loop 610, you can still find them.

Funny you ought to mention the trailer homes. Last week, I saw a trailer home in the subdivision on Cullen between Griggs and Yellowstone.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the permits, looks like there are 4 separate building going up? 

Foundation / Sitework - $ 3,500,000

Garage - $ 1,899,975

Building 'A' - $ 6,310,821

Building 'B' - $ 6,369,121

Building 'C' - $ 2,376,442

Building 'D' - $ 4,543,640

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.mhb-magazine.com/index.php/sections/builders/2122-allen-harrison-company

Although the "five-story high-rise" ... is a bit interesting. I guess my house is a mid-rise then, cool!  

The Highbank is Allen Harrison’s much-anticipated five-story high-rise that is expected to be completed in 2017. It will be the first project of its kind for the company as a collective. “We are very excited about the opportunity to finally work together as a company on a project such as this,” Merrihew says. “I could see why some might look at it as something we haven’t done before, but I disagree. Within our team, we have a wealth of experience and knowledge on a variety of projects. Being able to pool the ideas and resources we have within our own walls on The Highbank is something we are eager about.” 

The Highbank will join 13 other properties managed by Allen Harrison. Situated at 8877 Frankway Dr. in Houston, the community will include 284 units and offer state-of-the-art amenities, including a 24-hour fitness center and yoga room, outdoor fireplace and grill, a Wi-Fi-enabled e-lounge, as well as a wine bar. The living spaces will feature details such as walk-in showers, natural stone countertops, kitchen islands, subway tile accents and full size washer and dryers.

The surrounding area is unique because it offers a wide array of amenities, activities and employers in close proximity. Less than one mile away is a retail plaza with various big-brand stores, while Bray’s Bayou – also less than a mile away – offers a great outdoor space for running, biking and other activities. 

Just three miles from The Highbank is NRG Park, which is home to NRG Stadium. Although it is the home to the NFL’s Houston Texans, NRG Park is also a venue of year-round entertainment. Events include the world-famous Houston Rodeo, chili cook-offs and concerts. 

Even just five miles from the property, residents will find a lot to see and do. The Texas Medical Center (TMC) is one of the best medical complexes in the world, Merrihew say, and its 106,000 employees see 7.2 million visitors a year. 

The area has the largest concentration of life sciences professionals in the country. TMC backs up to Rice University, Hermann Park, Miller Outdoor Theater, and Houston’s impressive museum district. Residents of The Highbank will be perfectly situated to take in a majority of the signature places Houstonians frequent. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Units will be available 04/17/2017? That's around the corner!

Date came from their portal to select a unit..

https://ahpm.myresman.com/Portal/Applicants/Availability?a=1238&p=dde4ece7-6924-442d-a166-4265e0cf4c02

Still no mention of a smoking ordinance. Their website has a pet policy statement, so I'm going to assume smoking is permitted.  What a waste!

http://www.thehighbank.com/

The Highbank | Luxury Apartments in Houston, Texas

"Luxury" if you want cigarette butts littered every 2 feet.   They can supply ashtrays around the complex, but from my experience, smokers ignore ashtrays.

ZhVUuge.jpg

"Luxury".

I hate to beat a dead horse, but why are all smokers so oblivious to putting their butts where they belong. Do they have some theory that after a certain amount of time they will simply disintegrate., or do they think that the cigarette butt fairy will come behind them and suck them all up with her magic vacuum.

Is it that they just don't care. Do they not see the growing pile of butts they are adding to. Is it a stigma of smokers or do they just like 

flicking their butts. They throw them out of their cars, onto the sidewalk, in parks anywhere but in the cans that are provided. They throw them in lakes, ponds gutters and yards. 

Is it that smokers could care less about themselves, others or the environment. I just don't get it.

It's a good thing my dog is not interested in cigarette butts because she stops and sniffs everything else on the sidewalk when walking.  If she wanted to sniff the cigarette butts we'd never move.  Maybe they figure since it's paper and a plant that it's biodegradable?  I wonder how they'd like me throwing orange peels on their porch

22 hours ago, bobruss said:

I hate to beat a dead horse, but why are all smokers so oblivious to putting their butts where they belong. Do they have some theory that after a certain amount of time they will simply disintegrate., or do they think that the cigarette butt fairy will come behind them and suck them all up with her magic vacuum.

Is it that they just don't care. Do they not see the growing pile of butts they are adding to. Is it a stigma of smokers or do they just like 

flicking their butts. They throw them out of their cars, onto the sidewalk, in parks anywhere but in the cans that are provided. They throw them in lakes, ponds gutters and yards. 

Is it that smokers could care less about themselves, others or the environment. I just don't get it.

because they are mostly of that crowd that will say something like "because this is Amurica and I can do what ever the hell I wannado without your damn permission!  I don't want no gubment in my bizness so go away you hippie librul" !  I've literally heard people speak like this all over this country lately.  Sad state of affairs.  Can't imagine where it comes from.

On 3/16/2017 at 11:46 AM, ArtNsf said:

because they are mostly of that crowd that will say something like "because this is Amurica and I can do what ever the hell I wannado without your damn permission!  I don't want no gubment in my bizness so go away you hippie librul" !  I've literally heard people speak like this all over this country lately.  Sad state of affairs.  Can't imagine where it comes from.

Littering has no political affiliation or conceived state of education or rhetoric. Some people just don't care, period.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:46 PM, ArtNsf said:

Yeah, I know plenty of liberals who smoke too.  What a joke of a post.

This is the type of people I live with.  I really wonder what makes a litterer. Parenting I'd say has a big part of it. How you are influenced.  Not caring about the surrounding environment because you do not own it. 

Cigarette 6 inches from the ashtray bucket!

iRTbN0e.jpg

This yellow tall ashtray, there is a cigarette butt right at the bottom! People simply refuse to put it in a hole right in front of them. This ashtray is actually more level to your smoking hand than the ground is.

6B0Uvp1.jpg

Bonus,

The tenants do not own the field behind us, so they throw their cheap beer cans over the fence.  It's not their property and not their problem.

4wvRVce.jpg

Not everybody smokes, but everybody has to deal with their litter.

On 3/15/2017 at 2:41 PM, bobruss said:

My personal belief is that many smokers, in the US, where education about the dangers of smoking is EVERYWHERE, simply have an "I don't care" attitude.  I truely think that the smokers who toss cigarettes from cars or onto the street or parkland is really  just exhibiting the same tendencies that led them to begin to smoke to begin with.

Personally, I would support a city ordinance that allowed a police officer to write a $1,000.00 ticket for anyone tossing a butt onto public spaces.  A second offense would be $4,000.00.  And warrants for arrests would be issued for failure to pay.

It upsets me as much, but this would be very costly for municipalities for the process of adjudication  and incarceration.

There has to be some means of getting these peoples attention with some sort of signage with a clever incentive to make people think before they flick. A street art project to bring public awareness. A gorilla art program. Anyone interested in a charette type competition to create something? Its time we make some stands for the good of the community. They might actually get some traction with some TV and news attention.

It never hurts to try to make a difference.

Just a thought.

being a person that doesn't drink soft drinks I am hyper-sensitive to seeing empty soda bottles and cans everywhere.

I also don't drink energy drinks, so again, I am hyper-sensitive to seeing empty energy drink bottles.

I'd be happy to take pictures of this specific litter on our streets, and next to trash cans everywhere.

I get it, smoking is a nasty habit. I think current stats are that less than 15% of Americans do it (and the numbers are dropping). Both of these things highlight cigarette butts littering the ground, but singling out a specific subset of people that litter over another is silly. Anyone that liters is disgusting and needs to have fines levied the first few offenses, and then they need to do a few hours of community service picking up litter for future offenses.

I'm all for highlighting that smokers have always and continue to just toss their butts anywhere and that it's not cool, and as far as an art project, someone should collect and glue cigarette butts to a car for the art car parade. That would be stinky, but cool.

While I do believe that cigarette butt pollution is disgusting to look at, plastic pollution is way more harmful to the environment, and our food chain, since plastics end up being eaten by all sorts of things we eat, we essentially end up eating plastic. I'm not aware of animals that eat cigarette butts. So as a type of litter to be affronted by, you should probably focus on plastics (styrofoam too!) above all other forms of litter.

(former smoker, I can't say I never threw out a butt, but I can say if there was an ashtray available, I used it)

Archived