Urbannizer

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a joke.  Why even put up a fight against the look for fake windowless store fronts?  I would have preferred them to require the retail but if you aren't going to then just let them build whatever.  This does not blend in any better.  

3 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

This is a horrible look for the entry into downtown

The renders that get posted don't even show the blank wall rivaling the Marriott Marquis that will face traffic coming in from the Katy and 45 north - solid concrete panels with filled firestop joints.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 1:52 AM, JoninATX said:

Well atleast it's better than a parking lot, and on the plus side it's not a bland parking garage. So It could have been alot worse. lol...

No offense intended, but what could possibly be blander than the ten story tall blank wall this thing is going to present to anybody driving towards it on Milam on their way into downtown?  If there's been a proposal to do some sort of tromp l'oel mural like what was on the Memorial City garages or the blank Travis side of the older building down near Bell, it hasn't been publicized too well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2016 at 3:55 PM, mollusk said:

No offense intended, but what could possibly be blander than the ten story tall blank wall this thing is going to present to anybody driving towards it on Milam on their way into downtown?  If there's been a proposal to do some sort of tromp l'oel mural like what was on the Memorial City garages or the blank Travis side of the older building down near Bell, it hasn't been publicized too well.

On 11/17/2016 at 3:55 PM, mollusk said:

Apologize for the late response. But imo this garage looks to me 100x better than a normal bland parking garage. Take for instance that monstrosity that they built next to the convention center recently. A ugly garage with no detail or design to make it look different. I agree, it is sad that it's another parking garage but I'm excited that developers atleast put some effort into it other than looking bland like most garages these days. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Update.  This thing is a looker.

If this turns into a giant mural, cool.  If not, pitchforks.

IMG_0497.JPG

I do not know why, but for some strange reason I like that... I agree though that a mural would be great!

Yuck!  I know that Houston developers, in keeping costs down, tend to build the cheapest garages possible.  However, I wonder if they overlook possibilities to distinguish their product that don't add much to the budget.  Like the vine-covered trellises I've seen on garages in other cities.  Perhaps there are one or two here that I can't recall?

1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I don't blame the developers. They care only about the bottom line. It is up to the City or at least the historic district to implement some design requirements. Very few cities would allow this to go up. 

And even fewer cities would allow historic structures to be bulldozed.

welcome to Houston, Y'all.  The city of "we don't care what it looks like as long as it meets fire code.

Archived