Sign in to follow this  
cloud713

B-Cycle expansion and improvements are on the way!

samagon    2,204

They are expanding cause it's working. I see so many people riding them. For recreation, or for a quick trip. I'll grant that I mostly see them being used for recreating, but that's cause it's where I usually am to see them. On a BBP trail, or in Hermann park, people usually don't ride through these places on their way to the grocery store for a loaf of bread.

OkieEric    452

Are the 71 new stations on a map anywhere?  The only map I can find is the one where they were trying to solicit input for potential locations

Texasota    983

Why not both?

I actually think it's useful to think of bikeshare as somewhat distinct from having your own bike, though they both benefit from the same infrastructure.

Bikeshare, at least when it's fully built-out, has one big advantage: no planning ahead is required. You just hop on, drop it off, and never worry about that particular bike being messed with or stolen, or where to lock it up, or having it with you whenever you need it. It's really not a replacement for owning your own bike; it's another option for short to medium distance trips (like Uber, bus, light rail, or potentially even walking) that you can take advantage of without having to plan ahead. And yes, it can also integrate incredibly well with longer-distance transit. Maybe you take park-and-ride in from somewhere in the greater suburban hellscape,  but the bus drops you off a mile from your office. You jump on a BCycle and you're there in no time.

Again, this is all predicated on there being enough station density that you never have to wonder where the nearest station is or worry that there won't be a station close enough to your destination, but, assuming that level of density, bikeshare can be incredibly convenient. 

• Like 2

terra002    121

I have found them to be more trouble than they're worth. If you're with a few people and you're only making one short trip, uber is a much better alternative. It costs $5 for each bike, or you an do an uber, with a minimum charge of about $6. I rented one a while back to take up to the art car parade. We spent more time trying to find a check in station so we wouldnt get charged extra than we did watching the parade. 

kylejack    849
3 hours ago, terra002 said:

I have found them to be more trouble than they're worth. If you're with a few people and you're only making one short trip, uber is a much better alternative. It costs $5 for each bike, or you an do an uber, with a minimum charge of about $6. I rented one a while back to take up to the art car parade. We spent more time trying to find a check in station so we wouldnt get charged extra than we did watching the parade. 

$65 for an annual membership, unlimited checkouts for free (while still following the time rules).

Texasota    983

Yeah, the annual membership makes a huge difference, and, again, it's hard to get a feel for what these systems are really like from the Houston BCycle system as it exists now. There just aren't nearly enough stations for it to be terribly convenient. 

Edited by Texasota

august948    700
On 10/30/2016 at 7:14 PM, hindesky said:

Owning a bike or two is good, but you have to plan ahead to take it with you.  Having bike share stations that can help you go the last mile using public transit is a plus.

• Like 1

I'm trying to purchase a one-month Houston membership online, but can't seem to do so.

When I try to log into Houston's system, it tells me to log into Fort Worth's system instead (where I purchased a previous membership). The problem is, I can't purchase a Houston membership there.

When I try to create a new account on Houston's site, it won't let me because I already have a B-cycle account.

What gives?

samagon    2,204

I'm sure they have a feedback or questions section of the site, but I'd venture to guess that what might be happening is that if you have a b-cycle account it's good anywhere that b-cycle works?

Apparently, when you create an account, it's only good for one city. If you want to purchase a membership in a different city, you have to create a new account with a different email address (though there's a little work-around to that).

My previous 24-hour Fort Worth memberships have long since expired, so the above link doesn't apply to me.

------------------------------

Anyway, I rode B-Cycles around Buffalo Bayou Park this morning. It's a very nice park!

I'll be sure to try it again this December when it's much cooler outside. :o

Edited by PeopleAreStrange

samagon    2,204

I'm sure it will be much less hot, I don't know if it will be much cooler ;)

There is a new b-cycle station at Cullen north of 45 at the new apartments intended for UH students.