The White Heron Building: Mixed-Use At 241 North Milby St.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

there's 4 coffee shops in/around east end that aren't called starbucks.

Tout Suite

Ahh Coffee! (near soccer stadium)

Bohemeo's (Telephone and Lockwood)

The Nook (right off UH campus)

I recommend the Nook, cause I own it (and it's really good too, I'm not being biased about that, it's really good. besides, there's no other independent 3rd wave coffee shop in Houston you can get whipped cream, it's like no one else has heard of Viennese coffee?), but Tout Suite makes a good coffee, and they have excellent pastries (they are actually our pastry suppliers too, as cougar alum and tasty pastries, they made sense).

Tout Suite and Ahh Coffee! are in the east end, since EaDo is part of the east end. My point was, they are close by, in cycling distance, if not walking distance. You'll eventually have something that is more centrally located (and is better than Bohemeo's), but the neighborhood just can't support a high end coffee shop that isn't near downtown, or UH. I wish it could, cause I'd have already opened it.

If you want to know the truth, I've looked, the guy from Greenway has done a popup shop next to cutthroat (when they had their grand opening), and I know others (Doshi) have considered, but the facts are unfortunately the facts, none of us have created anything here because it doesn't make sense yet. That's not to say someone won't take a chance and open a shop right in the heart of the east end, and take a loss for however long it takes for the area to establish itself with more people that want a 3rd wave style coffee shop.

So yeah, it needs a 3rd wave coffee shop, but it can't support one yet.

there's 4 coffee shops in/around east end that aren't called starbucks.

Tout Suite

Ahh Coffee! (near soccer stadium)

Bohemeo's (Telephone and Lockwood)

The Nook (right off UH campus)

I recommend the Nook, cause I own it (and it's really good too, I'm not being biased about that, it's really good. besides, there's no other independent 3rd wave coffee shop in Houston you can get whipped cream, it's like no one else has heard of Viennese coffee?), but Tout Suite makes a good coffee, and they have excellent pastries (they are actually our pastry suppliers too, as cougar alum and tasty pastries, they made sense).

I'd say Nook and Tout Suite are high on the recommended places to go, especially for college students who need a good place to drink some coffee to keep them awake while they study. Problem with Nook is it's relatively small size compared to Tout Suite and the problem with Tout Suite is it's relatively higher prices compared to Nook. Both have great flavors. Honestly wish the Nook would bring it's 12am hours to the Heights area... only place I can think of is Antidote that's chill enough to study at 12am. Haven't tried Ahh Coffee! yet since it closes at 7pm but I'll be trying it soon. Not a college student anymore but certainly would appreciate a late hour coffee place. I've never understood Boomtown and others that close so early.

I'd say Nook and Tout Suite are high on the recommended places to go, especially for college students who need a good place to drink some coffee to keep them awake while they study. Problem with Nook is it's relatively small size compared to Tout Suite and the problem with Tout Suite is it's relatively higher prices compared to Nook. Both have great flavors. Honestly wish the Nook would bring it's 12am hours to the Heights area... only place I can think of is Antidote that's chill enough to study at 12am. Haven't tried Ahh Coffee! yet since it closes at 7pm but I'll be trying it soon. Not a college student anymore but certainly would appreciate a late hour coffee place. I've never understood Boomtown and others that close so early.

Check out Southside Espresso. It's not in The Heights, and if you think The Nook is small, this place is positively tiny, but it's closer to The Heights than either Suite, or The Nook. It's right behind Uchi on Westheimer near Montrose. Bonus is, I think they have the most consistently good espresso in town.

Check out Southside Espresso. It's not in The Heights, and if you think The Nook is small, this place is positively tiny, but it's closer to The Heights than either Suite, or The Nook. It's right behind Uchi on Westheimer near Montrose. Bonus is, I think they have the most consistently good espresso in town.

Yea I've tried it. Great coffee but haven't gotten back since, as you said, too small but the parking was worse. It's probably cause of the times that I go. Much prefer Siphon on West Alabama. More chill atmosphere and great seating. Will admit though, everyone seems to know each other at Southside Espresso which is kinda cool. No, I'd still rather go to Tout Suite or the Nook. Since I live at N Main and I-45, both are relatively close to the highways, have late hours (which is a must have for me), good seating for laptops, and great tasting coffee. Agora's is probably open the latest but I absolutely HATE the way they force people to sit in there... most uncomfortable and the parking situation is just as bad as Southside (and yes, I know there's complimentary parking next to Uchi but it is maxed out anytime I go). I'd say that's probably the critical combination missing in the Heights right now... Antidote is the closest one but not perfect. I think a coffee place needs a somewhat moderate amount of space, good coffee, late hours, good seating positions for laptops and work, and good atmosphere. It's difficult to find that but I think both of the ones I stated come real close. Tout Suite just needs to work on their ridiculous pricing, in my opinion. They've introduced a plan where you get a free drink after 5 drinks or something like that, but it's still too expensive.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to 241 N. Milby St.
  • The title was changed to The White Heron Building: Mixed-Use At 241 North Milby St.

Archived