Museo Institute For The Medical Arts In The Museum District

Urbannizer

The developer is actively meeting with folks in the neighborhood regarding the project.  The hope is, per the developer, to be as transparent as possible to forestall the type of opposition we saw with the Ashby High Rise.   Dr. Mann of the Mann Eye Institute owns the three parcels underlying the project, and so he would need a new facility before the other two phases could commence.  I know the residential tower is really the star of this attraction, and construction on that is a little bit further off.  The initial design details were very preliminary, and a lot could get changed depending on how things shake out over the next couple of years.   Most of my details came from the most recent meeting between some folks in the neighborhood and the developer, which happened a little more than a week ago (tip of the cap to Cranky for getting things organized on that front).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, houstontexasjack said:

Dr. Mann of the Mann Eye Institute owns the three parcels underlying the project, and so he would need a new facility before the other two phases could commence.

So will Mann Eye Institute be one of the tenants in the Phase I - Medical Office Building?

• Like 2

"The City of Houston requires all new developments along Southmore to add another lane for traffic. Therefore, the Oak Trees on the north side of Southmore will be removed to make way for the City’s new traffic lane."

Seriously? The street is two lanes for another 6 blocks going east, and dead-ends at Main Street. Why is our city dumb?

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

"The City of Houston requires all new developments along Southmore to add another lane for traffic. Therefore, the Oak Trees on the north side of Southmore will be removed to make way for the City’s new traffic lane."

Seriously? The street is two lanes for another 6 blocks going east, and dead-ends at Main Street. Why is our city dumb?

Southmore is designated as a "major collector" street that is projected to have 4 lanes from South Main to Scott.

• Like 2

I wonder how many major collector streets this neighborhood has and/or needs. I remember in Chicago's urban neighborhoods there was a major street every eight blocks, exactly one half mile apart (so 55th, 63rd, 71st, etc.). It worked pretty well, in a city with higher density.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
49 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

The last meeting with the neighborhood was back in 2016. At the time, we were told the shorter medical office tower would go up first and would start in 2018. I’ve heard nothing since then. 

Yeah with the medical office yet to begin we're still a few years off from the residential high-rise. 

• Like 2

I called the Mann Eye Institute out of curiosity on this one, since the Trammell Crow rep who spoke with the neighborhood had moved to Atlanta. Happily, staff there were at least familiar with the medical office building portion of this project and let me know that, although they had not yet broken ground on the office building, the plans for the office building were still moving forward. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, houstontexasjack said:

I called the Mann Eye Institute out of curiosity on this one, since the Trammell Crow rep who spoke with the neighborhood had moved to Atlanta. Happily, staff there were at least familiar with the medical office building portion of this project and let me know that, although they had not yet broken ground on the office building, the plans for the office building were still moving forward. 

Great news !  Thanks so much for the update on this seemingly stationery project.  Good to know it may still happen.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 0:09 AM, HNathoo said:

Came across this article and didn’t know what project to tie this to. Maybe some HAIFers can get to the bottom of this.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/editorial/editorial-council-drops-ball-crowne-plaza

Is the intent of inserting this article here to suggest you 'think' that Operadora de Servicio Para Hoteles de Lujo is involved in the hotel component of Museo Plaza? Or did you truly not know where to place this info? If the latter is the case then perhaps we should create a separate thread for this. However, if the former is true, then please share what makes you think the two are connected, other than the fact that both names are rooted in Spanish.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...