Museo Institute For The Medical Arts In The Museum District

Urbannizer

I did a little checking from some of my sources, and it is something that was being planned, but it's on the shelf for a while.

It might get built down the road but don't hold your breath. Sorry but I would love to see this also.

I also wonder whats going to happen to the proposed building for the Van Loch site on Milam.

• Like 1

Don't forget the rest of the cached quote that says with a "200 room hotel and retail lifestyle center on 3 full city blocks".

where are y'all seeing that? i don't even see the mention of the 54 story segment Urb quoted? is my Safari not loading all of the text under Marko's profile?

i wonder what hotel flag could be doing the hotel/lifestyle center. and are we sure that portion will be the short buildings, not the tower? i saw that mentioned on SSP.

I also was wondering about a project of this scope and its lack of a tram station in close proximity.

I know theres a station at Binz and one Ensemble. Both of these are more than three blocks away from this project.

Would metro consider adding more stations as density levels mushroom along the rail.

With that question I was trying to think how they could even add a station without closing the total line for months which isn't going to happen. Anyone have any thoughts?

where are y'all seeing that? i don't even see the mention of the 54 story segment Urb quoted? is my Safari not loading all of the text under Marko's profile?

i wonder what hotel flag could be doing the hotel/lifestyle center. and are we sure that portion will be the short buildings, not the tower? i saw that mentioned on SSP.

#20's link to a Google search, first result click the green down arrow for cached. Middle of third paragraph.

I also was wondering about a project of this scope and its lack of a tram station in close proximity.

I know theres a station at Binz and one Ensemble. Both of these are more than three blocks away from this project.

Would metro consider adding more stations as density levels mushroom along the rail.

With that question I was trying to think how they could even add a station without closing the total line for months which isn't going to happen. Anyone have any thoughts?

Interesting question.

I don't think adding a station is feasible, they are placed strategically equidistant from eachother, adding a platform would disrupt the flow not to mention the huge cost and construction.

Three blocks isn't a lot in other fair weather cities, but in Houston, three blocks in 90% humidity in the middle of August with a 115° heat index is brutal, enough to ruin your day and your outfit.

New Orleans is just as hot as Houston and people walk around there every day all day. I was just there not too long ago and no one seemed to care how hot it was. Houston just needs more walkable and pedestrian friendly districts. It's easier to complain about the heat when you are walking by 5 blocks worth of parking lots as compared to stores, shops and cafes. We will get there.

• Like 7

New Orleans is just as hot as Houston and people walk around there every day all day. I was just there not too long ago and no one seemed to care how hot it was. Houston just needs more walkable and pedestrian friendly districts. It's easier to complain about the heat when you are walking by 5 blocks worth of parking lots as compared to stores, shops and cafes. We will get there.

Go to Houston Tomorrow meetings the third Thursday each month at Rudyards.  That is what we are discussing. 

Three blocks isn't a lot in other fair weather cities, but in Houston, three blocks in 90% humidity in the middle of August with a 115° heat index is brutal, enough to ruin your day and your outfit.

In certain (all?) districts, we need to incentivize property owners to plant or maintain shade trees along public sidewalks. Shaded streets would encourage walking in Houston more than anything else, imo. They also look nice.  ^_^

• Like 5

Anyway, back to this building. The rendering reminds me a lot of Transco....big shoulders. Anybody else see the comparison; especially if it was standing along in the Museum District. I just hope they don't scale it down any. Sigh...

Yes! I thought of it looking like a Transco-ish design, isn't this building designed by Phillip Johnson's firm or something? 

• Like 1

Museo Plaza is beautiful, and does indeed compliment Transco/Williams Tower. The finer new buildings in America are often inspired, at least in part, by other great works. For example, 432 Park Avenue in Manhattan, looks like a taller version of J. P. Morgan Chase Tower in Houston.

Ugh, 432 Park Avenue is just way too minimalist for me. It's beautiful on the inside... not so much on the outside. People mainly like it cause of the height.

• Like 2

Would the FAA OK something this high in the flight path to Hobby? I seem to recall they didn't want an ultra tall in downtown many years ago.

Expensive insurance for tall buildings. Blah blah blah.

But I've seen Southwest fly quite low around my hood, giving passengers a good view of San Felipe Plaza/Marathon Tower, bank south by the Williams Tower, and then bank left towards midtown. They seem even lower over Midtown (In-between Downtown and the Museum District). It would be interesting to know how low they are, and if there is a height limit over midtown/museum district.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 2

http://nypost.com/2014/06/26/faa-wants-to-lower-building-height-limit-near-airports/

The above article helped explain the FAA issue to me. In short, the FAA does not have veto power over the height of a building. However, a building deemed a flight hazard becomes far more expensive to insure (I think that might be to what Montrose1100 referred).

• Like 3

http://system.gocampaign.com/file/512363

Looks as though, under section 9-706 of the city's air hazard area ordinance, any structure over 200' is in an air hazard area and a building permit shall not be issued if the building is deemed to be an air hazard.

http://system.gocampaign.com/files/file.asp?f=242320

The Museum District appears to be out of the general air hazard perimeter in the link above, but a structure this tall might actually need to be deemed "not an air hazard" in order to move forward.

Edit: For anyone interested, here is a copy of the form that must be filed with the FAA for structures above 200 feet:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/FAA_Form_7460-1_2017.pdf

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 2

I never understood this ridiculous ordinance in Houston that basically puts a hard ceiling on our skyline. I've lived in downtown/midtown for years and I have NEVER seen a plane come "dangerously" close to any of our buildings, the flight path to hobby misses downtown altogether.

What makes it utterly ridiculous is the fact that when I fly into NYC-Laguardia, I can practically see people waving at me on the Empire state buildings observation deck. Houston ALWAYS has some stupid rule or person or backwards way of thinking holding it back, I swear. Go figure.

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 5

Uhhh....this is getting into ssc levels of conspiracy...

I like architecture as much as you guys but no one really gives a crap if some city has more/bigger/taller phallic figures that another. I'm almost positive there's not some random person of power sitting in a dark room jerking it to pictures of Chicago and New York while burning candles over pictures of suburban Houston, but what do I know? 

I mean, you're right, there isn't any reason Houston hasn't built as many towers as New York or Chicago...if we ignore the population density of both cities...the flat cheap land that spurs urban sprawl...

• Like 6

Uhhh....this is getting into ssc levels of conspiracy...

I like architecture as much as you guys but no one really gives a crap if some city has more/bigger/taller phallic figures that another. I'm almost positive there's not some random person of power sitting in a dark room jerking it to pictures of Chicago and New York while burning candles over pictures of suburban Houston, but what do I know? 

I mean, you're right, there isn't any reason Houston hasn't built as many towers as New York or Chicago...if we ignore the population density of both cities...the flat cheap land that spurs urban sprawl...

Or is the Illuminate really an organization built around the distribution of tall buildings to select few cities?

The world may never know...

• Like 1