Museo Institute For The Medical Arts In The Museum District

Urbannizer

7 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

5001 Main street has been issued a demolition permit.  Not sure if the space is still related to this development.

crew were out there today clearing the building. Pretty quick turn around from permit to demolition. 

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

So do we have any updated renderings for what will be going up here? As well as a timeline?

Isn’t phase one a medical office building to replace the Mann Eye Institute on the adjacent block?  If memory serves me correctly, any residential high rise was way down the road.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

"Physician ownership/investment" opportunities means HCA isn't the sole lessor in the building because they don't offer those types of investments for physicians. So it must mean this PE/IB company has some relationships in the med community they are looking to use. Those type of guys wouldn't build a single floor unless there have been other significant commits. 

So we're at least getting the MOB's. If built nicely, those are somewhat of a game changer because now they'll occupy what are now empty lots. But what a game changer a tower with GFR would be, jeez. And I guess they are making a mini green space? Thats cool. 

• Like 5

The renders showing the building from the west show Palm St. as having been abandoned. There was previously opposition to that from the neighborhood, although I think the concerns stemmed from concern the street would be abandoned without guarantees the space would be open to the public as proposed. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

The residential high-rise can be seen in the background. Design looks the same.

https://www.faithgraphicdesigns.com/img/PDFS/Museo_Medical_Brochure.pdf

Financing was obtained in Jan. 2019 for the office building. Link below mentions the residential tower as 58-stories.

https://www.greenwichgrp.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Austin-and-Houston-Deals-January-2019.pdf

Z4Nsamd.jpg

HIRzFM7.jpg

8omrWph.jpg

Bummer that they waited so long.. by the time this is ready to go we’ll be in a recession and it’ll be shelved.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

58-story residential tower with 300+ luxury units

If this gets off the ground could there be a potential new tallest pure residential tower in texas? I know the independent is 58 floor at 690', but I got a feeling this might past the 700' mark from the looks of it. Hoping this gets built especially with how the midtown skyline is expanding. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 7

I'm guessing this is why it took so long to get this off the ground. I bet it took awhile to get the capital and land together for the vision, but knowing that its under one vision and one person is great to hear. Thats more promising than it being with some development company that can change anything on a whim.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 7

Mann owns all that space? However long he's had it, he's going to get a heck of a pay-day. New, state of the art medical space close to the the med center but not directly in it so their patients can find parking a bit easier and it has #views? He's going to to be fighting off tenants who have been rotting away on south Fanin and other "close but not quite in the med center" office buildings with a stick. The asset and land only goes up as the Ion development matures. And incredibly he actually cares about what he's building and what it looks like. Like @Luminare said, having one consistent, maybe a little vain, vision that actually cares is exciting. 

The one thing is that the museum district, outside of Zaza and that motel/hotel across 288 on binz, doesn't really have a hotel space. Which is an intriguing part the proposed tower. I always wondered why the MD didn't have more hotel/motels. When I have friends visit and they stay in that area or in Midtown, its usually through Air BnB at the Southmore or townhouse in Midtown. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Mann owns all that space? However long he's had it, he's going to get a heck of a pay-day. New, state of the art medical space close to the the med center but not directly in it so their patients can find parking a bit easier and it has #views? He's going to to be fighting off tenants who have been rotting away on south Fanin and other "close but not quite in the med center" office buildings with a stick. The asset and land only goes up as the Ion development matures. And incredibly he actually cares about what he's building and what it looks like. Like @Luminare said, having one consistent, maybe a little vain, vision that actually cares is exciting. 

The one thing is that the museum district, outside of Zaza and that motel/hotel across 288 on binz, doesn't really have a hotel space. Which is an intriguing part the proposed tower. I always wondered why the MD didn't have more hotel/motels. When I have friends visit and they stay in that area or in Midtown, its usually through Air BnB at the Southmore or townhouse in Midtown. 

What would be interesting is if he entices Metro to build a station i that area. The redline passes that entire district only stopping at the edges. They really should put a station right between the museums and wheeler.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

I'm guessing this is why it took so long to get this off the ground. I bet it took awhile to get the capital and land together for the vision, but knowing that its under one vision and one person is great to hear. Thats more promising than it being with some development company that can change anything on a whim.

Or, conversely, an iconic mixed-use project driven by one person who is not an expert in real estate development could wind up with unforeseen pitfalls that threaten the dream.  Time will tell.  I hope @Luminareis right!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Luminare said:

What would be interesting is if he entices Metro to build a station i that area. The redline passes that entire district only stopping at the edges. They really should put a station right between the museums and wheeler.

there's a stop at Park Plaza. Doors open right. puertas abiertas a la derecha.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

a0a796b609f4aa1bad8fbd02aa9c72c9.gif

MuseoTower_Cam1_062217-1.jpg

^^^ we are all certainly aware that the MANN EYE CLINIC has been around for decades.  however, does DR. MIKE MANN along with his investors, really have this much money?  if the bottom front entry of this prospective MUSEO TOWER is any indication of the full tower itself, then this place if going to cost HYPER MILLIONS.  the bottom half of this prospective edifice is not something that we in houston are normally accustomed to.  this is TOP FLIGHT/HIGH END LA style or even MIAMI style luxury.

should all the phases of this prospective and magnificent development project come together as proposed, along with the newly planned X-HOUSTON TOWER... then the houston museum district shall become a showplace for the entire nation.  it shall become a stylized architectural powerhouse.

is houston, tx, really ready for this type of ultra posh and ultra high-end development?  DAMN, i think that we may have finally arrived...

• Like 6

I'm not an architect, so I wondered if anyone can answer this question.  When the developer says, "Architecturally, it would be significant. The buildings would be timeless, not ready to be torn down in 30 years."  ...and then I look at the render and there isn't a single design element from more than 5-10 years ago (to my eyes). What confidence can he have that this building will be timeless?  Is it quality of materials?  Notoriety of the designer?  The only 30-year+ office building in Houston that I hear people note is the 700 Louisiana building which is an obvious homage to much older elements.  I'm not saying he's wrong, but how can someone predict this?

• Like 2