Museo Institute For The Medical Arts In The Museum District

Urbannizer

17 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

It wasn't meant to be a slam. Portland and Austin are two of my favorite cities but they are much smaller, less cosmopolitan, and don't have multiple skylines. That's simply a fact and not a matter of opinion.

Oh I don't care if you were slamming them, just poking fun at you for listing cities like Pitbull does on every song.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From Aprils meeting, Trammell Crow is the developer. Also, the approval to abandon Palm St. for a pedestrian plaza/green space has been revoked by the COH due to neighborhood concerns.

More here: http://www.museumparkna.org/resources/ Documents/MPNA.MPSN%20Meeting%204.27.16.pdf

The project is presented as a unique, one-of-a-kind mixed use neighborhood development on three city blocks bounded by Main St., Fannin, Southmore and Wichita. The project will include a hotel at the current site of Mann Eye clinic with 150-180 keys, a residential tower with 300 units north of the hotel, and a medical office building east of the hotel. All will be linked by a pedestrian plaza/”green space” replacing Palm Street. A restaurant is planned on Palm St. along with a Performance Pavilion on Palm St. facing Main. Green space is considered the primary driver for success because a successful green space gives more opportunity for restaurants and retail to succeed. Parking will be above ground and Southmore will be required to be widened by the developer for the length of the project. Private ownership should deter the transient population.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

I'm glad this is a legit project moving in the right direction. I also agree with the neighborhood concerns 100%. I see no reason they can't make a great project without closing off a street. Houston needs MORE connectivity, not less.

• Like 2

The chevron station to the north of the Mann Eye Institute has become a homeless hangout at all hours of the day (can't imagine why the station allows this, but they do).  Good call by the "neighbors" protesting this new development.  Perhaps instead, the greyhound station will relocate to this property.  Would serve the "neighbors" right.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Really don't understand the motive behind opposing the abandonment of Palm Street; it ends at Main Street so it's not like they're asking to abandon a thoroughfare

I completely agree.  Palm ends at Main  and it is blocked off from through traffic one block east, at Fannin, because of the light rail.  It's essentially a one-block-long dead street that wouldn't be missed if it were gone.  Boneheaded move on the part of the neighborhood and city.  I hope this doesn't jeopardize the project. That would be a big loss to that area, which would see a huge improvement if this development is realized.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Really don't understand the motive behind opposing the abandonment of Palm Street; it ends at Main Street so it's not like they're asking to abandon a thoroughfare

An argument can be made that abandoning streets is at the expense of creating a less automotive, more pedestrian and bicycle friendly city.
This is evident in Midtown, where 'superblocks' of apartments have intruded on the street grid, and force pedestrians to walk a considerably further distance.
I have no problem with closing Palm St. to automotive traffic, but we need to open up the city for pedestrians instead of creating barriers.

• Like 1

I can see the members of HAIF frothing at the mouth for this development. Not only does it have all of the bells and whistles of an exciting mixed use multi leveled residential / office / hotel, mix with Ground Floor retail and a nice green space. 

Not only that it looks really exciting design wise, and it also fills in a big gap between downtown and TMC almost fulfilling everyones dreams of a continuous skyline from I-10 on the North side down through the med center to 610 south. Add in a few midrises in midtown and the TMC3 and bingo its there.

It sounds like the neighborhood association has also been worked up into a frenzy by someone who took lessons from Afton Oaks during the Richmond Rail debate.

They also seem to have created a lot of fear and anger using Mr Trumps method of scaring people with not always the most accurate information. Hence the dumb questions.

Like the homeless argument, the green space privacy, the loss of a major thoroughfare, more rail lines. These are all manufactured arguments that would normally bring more questions as to the validity of this vote against the development. It would be interesting to see who the main players on the against side are an find out their true motivation.

This isn't in the most heavily trafficked areas of the museum district and I don't find their argument standing up, although they did get the city to say no for the moment. 

Hopefully things will change. This isn't Trammel Crows first rodeo. I for one hope it eventually gets final approval. Besides the rail will never create development!

• Like 9

Even with road cutting though it, there is still some green space and this development remains flawless. I'm salivating for this development either way. If having that tiny narrow street to nowhere keeps the neighbors happy and shuts them up so the project can move forward, I'm all for it.

I will still be happy if the development goes through without the abandonment of Palm. But... to me, it's more sensible/usable if the street is closed to automobiles and bikes because it would be safer for customers, pedestrians and especially for families with young kids.

I do strongly support bike lanes but wouldn't want a bike lane where Palm would be abandoned. The distance between Wichita and Southmore is 0.1 mile, seem inconsequential especially on bike.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...