Museo Institute For The Medical Arts In The Museum District

Urbannizer

To play devil's advocate, while downtown is not directly under the "normal" pattern for HOU, I do recall being on a flight that came in really late and flew literally right over downtown.  And the buildings were quite close to my recollection. 

That being said, I agree that there shouldn't be a height limit/restrictions at all downtown, it is hardly necessary to go over downtown to get to HOU. 

• Like 2

Short version:

Downtown doesn't affect the flight paths as much as a tower in the museum district.

Long version:

Downtown is partly inside the surface segment of Hobby's bravo airspace (the restricted airspace for just controlled traffic arriving or departing), which starts is usually 8 nm from the airport (about 9.2 miles). West of Louisiana and North of a east/west line from Rusk @ Louisiana to Ruiz @ Chenevert, Downtown is not in the surface airspace.

The museum district fully inside the airspace, and it's also on the extended center-line from runway 12.  The proposed tower would only be 4 blocks away from where an ideal approach would guide a plane in from the northwest.  

I suspect the FAA is much more inclined to modify the turning approaches coming into the runway (the ones that curve around downtown right now) compared to a straight in approach; that is the kind that might have to be done with a plane that doesn't have as many instruments

• Like 1

Short version:

Downtown doesn't affect the flight paths as much as a tower in the museum district.

Long version:

Downtown is partly inside the surface segment of Hobby's bravo airspace (the restricted airspace for just controlled traffic arriving or departing), which starts is usually 8 nm from the airport (about 9.2 miles). West of Louisiana and North of a east/west line from Rusk @ Louisiana to Ruiz @ Chenevert, Downtown is not in the surface airspace.

The museum district fully inside the airspace, and it's also on the extended center-line from runway 12. The proposed tower would only be 4 blocks away from where an ideal approach would guide a plane in from the northwest.

I suspect the FAA is much more inclined to modify the turning approaches coming into the runway (the ones that curve around downtown right now) compared to a straight in approach; that is the kind that might have to be done with a plane that doesn't have as many instruments

This is still dumb, neither should affect either.

If countless airliners a day can fly right over Manhattan with its 1,776 ft tall freedom tower why can't our planes just do the same and fly OVER any tall buildings we build?

Key word, OVER. As in, even if the proposed skyscraper is DIRECTLY IN THE FLIGHT PATH TO HOBBY, you still simply fly OVER it, I can think of no reason why any craft would have to dip as low as 1,000 ft (our tallest building) and below to land in Southeast Houston.

It's nonsensical.

• Like 1

This is still dumb, neither should affect either.

If countless airliners a day can fly right over Manhattan with its 1,776 ft tall freedom tower why can't our planes just do the same and fly OVER any tall buildings we build?

Key word, OVER. As in, even if the proposed skyscraper is DIRECTLY IN THE FLIGHT PATH TO HOBBY, you still simply fly OVER it, I can think of no reason why any craft would have to dip as low as 1,000 ft (our tallest building) and below to land in Southeast Houston.

It's nonsensical.

First off, when you're landing in New York and do the beautiful flyover of Times Square at night, you're still 11 nautical miles from JFK.  You're only 5 nautical miles from LGA though, so I'm sure the FAA makes a fuss in NYC too.

Second, when you approach for landing, you can't drop down too fast (passengers would complain) so you typically approach at 3º.  When you're a fast jet, that means that you're descent through the last 2000 feet can take a surprising amount of time.

According to the published approach for Hobby's runway 12R (the one that the museum district is on the center-line of) you have to maintain 2000 feet above sea level until 5.9 nautical miles out from the runway threshold.  This point is over TSU, so theoretically, a tower in the museum district wouldn't affect that glide path - that 2000' should be more than 1000' above the tower top.

That does explain why the FAA complained about a proposed downtown tower taller than 1000' - they would have to modify their approaches to have a different step down procedure.  No one likes change I guess.

So to summarize, yes a plane can fly over a building, but you need to do so by at least 1000' usually, and the FAA errs on the side of safety.

I was wrong thinking that this tower would interrupt the glide path at the proposed height though.  But at least I found a place online to find approach plate for free 

• Like 4

New Orleans is just as hot as Houston and people walk around there every day all day. I was just there not too long ago and no one seemed to care how hot it was. Houston just needs more walkable and pedestrian friendly districts. It's easier to complain about the heat when you are walking by 5 blocks worth of parking lots as compared to stores, shops and cafes. We will get there.

Nola is hotter than Houston

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any way I can help bank YIMBY's to counteract them?

I suppose you could write the councilman (District D Dwight Boykin) to express support of abandoning Palm St., just like the folks who are writing him to express opposition. He may only be interested in feedback from only Museum District residence. But please go ahead and give it a shot :)

I suppose you could write the councilman (District D Dwight Boykin) to express support of abandoning Palm St., just like the folks who are writing him to express opposition. He may only be interested in feedback from only Museum District residence. But please go ahead and give it a shot :)

Will do. I live in his district and will rally my neighbors.

Edit: At least I will try to drum up support.

Edited by houstontexasjack

• 2 months later...