Blossom Houston: Hotel At 7118 Bertner Ave.

Urbannizer

http://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/23113-nine-story-hotel-proposed-in-houston-medical-center.html

Houston (Harris Co.) - Zhejiang Blossom Tourism Group Houston LLC of Missouri City on Sept. 17 to request a variance needed to construction a high-rise hotel.

The Blossom Hotel and Suite is proposed to be a nine-story structure that will include a six-level enclosed parking garage. The site is three blocks south of the MD Anderson Mid Campus Building 1 at the corner of South Braeswood Boulevard and Bertner Avenue.

Houston Planning Commission is being asked to allow the partial replatting of an existing single family restricted subdivision into an unrestricted reserve. This property falls within the ordinance governing the Medical Center; this allows for mixed use development in residential area

s.

"As a MAC (Major Activity Center), the city encourages development with a mix of land uses, street patterns and non-residential development. It is intended to replay just the lots necessary to meet developmental and space requirements," the department staff report said.

The proposed hotel boundaries are Lehall Street, Bertner and St. Agnes Street. Access to the hotel would be from St. Agnes, about 150 feet from the nearest neighborhing townhouse. It is also east of, but does not reach Fannin Street.

"The hotel will be a state of the art facility, serving the needs of the Medical Center, and aesthetically complimentary to its surroundings. The hotel will be built to serve adjoining large scale projects, such as the hospital and related medical buildings," the staff report said.

"On the block the hotel is to be located on, seven townhouses, an auto body shop and a medical supply center remain. The development will actually lift a large portion of the block up to the standards of the rest of the new, ongoing medical center development."

In justifying recommendation of the project, department staff said that if the variance is granted, it will allow the development of a large budget hotel site servicing the Medical Center across what is now mostly unimproved lands, adding, "the owners of the remaining subdivision lot--the house is vacant and unoccupied--have not been locatable, with all attempts at purchase by representatives of the hotel meeting in dead ends."

• Like 2

Heritage Home Builders has a luxury residential project(Aria at the Medical Center) planned on the same block. I believe where the above mentioned autobody repair shop sits.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/32174-proposed-luxury-rentals-near-texas-medical-center/?hl=%2Bheritage+%2Bmedical+%2Bcenter#entry500678

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A new variance sign posted yesterday with "Blossom Hotel" on it and (I think?) another building was cleared next to the site. So, some kind of progress...

edit: this was on the last plat agenda:

II. Establish a public hearing date of June 9, 2016 a. Blossom Hotel and Suites replat no 1 and extension

Edited by corbs315
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I walked to 1MC today from OST--wanted to try the cafeteria again because I can't eat at Luby's every day.  Pickings are slim in the area.  

The sign for this place certainly caught my interest.  There will be food!  Still no construction, but it will improve the area.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaggieMay said:

I walked to 1MC today from OST--wanted to try the cafeteria again because I can't eat at Luby's every day.  Pickings are slim in the area.  

The sign for this place certainly caught my interest.  There will be food!  Still no construction, but it will improve the area.  

But the cafeteria here sucks! :)

• Like 2