Blossom Hotel Houston: 16-Story Hotel For The TMC

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder how much of a drop off it has to be before they require a handrail. Looks from 4"-14" to me. Someone leaving the bar might misstep and sue. Not sure if they are open yet but they did have a crane setting up to fly up what looks like a galvanized ductwork.

sl1opw8.jpg

gUoEqpq.jpg

• Like 5

are-you-kidding-me-title-slide.png

^^^ those very shiny chrome numbers in the upper illustration, are rife for a quick lightning strike.  texas thunderstorms can be really dangerous.  also, they need to hurry-up and turn on that fountain in the lower illustration.  those very ugly plants are dying fast...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/3/2021 at 2:15 PM, hindesky said:

I wonder how much of a drop off it has to be before they require a handrail. Looks from 4"-14" to me. Someone leaving the bar might misstep and sue. Not sure if they are open yet but they did have a crane setting up to fly up what looks like a galvanized ductwork.

sl1opw8.jpg

gUoEqpq.jpg

IBC 2018 Chapter 10 Section 1015 Guards:

Guards shall be located along open-sided walking surfaces, including mezzanines, equipment platforms, aisles, stairs, ramps and landings that are located more than 30 inches (762 mm) measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36 inches (914 mm) horizontally to the edge of the open side.

So no, guards are not required in that area you show in that first pic.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

On 10/9/2021 at 4:21 PM, monarch said:

^^^ those very shiny chrome numbers in the upper illustration, are rife for a quick lightning strike.  texas thunderstorms can be really dangerous.  also, they need to hurry-up and turn on that fountain in the lower illustration.  those very ugly plants are dying fast...

How are they any more dangerous than a street light? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmitch94 said:

How are they any more dangerous than a street light? 

^^^ i am not at all certain of "CHROME" street lights.  however, these huge chrome address numbers are at a hotel site featuring a high level of pedestrians/workers/officials all over the place.  normally, street lights are situated upon the streets.

however, the level of "danger" would be subjective...

Edited by monarch

1 hour ago, monarch said:

^^^ i am not at all certain of "CHROME" street lights.  however, these huge chrome address numbers are at a hotel site featuring a high level of pedestrians/workers/officials all over the place.  normally, street lights are situated upon the streets.

however, the level of "danger" would be subjective...

All of the street lights on Post Oak are chrome and are on the sidewalk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

All of the street lights on Post Oak are chrome and are on the sidewalk. 

^^^ huge difference between "sidewalk on post oak" vs hotel property.  i would consider this a huge liability...

9 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ huge difference between "sidewalk on post oak" vs hotel property.  i would consider this a huge liability...

Do you not think there is metal on top of the building? Lightning finds the quickest path of least resistance.  That's why you see so many pictures of tall buildings being struck.  The odds of that chrome address sign being hit are going to be the same as any piece of sidewalk along any building in town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brijonmang said:

Do you not think there is metal on top of the building? Lightning finds the quickest path of least resistance.  That's why you see so many pictures of tall buildings being struck.  The odds of that chrome address sign being hit are going to be the same as any piece of sidewalk along any building in town.

7kqDZqj.jpg

^^^ @brijonmang here you go, now, let's look at it again.  "metal on top of the building" is just that... "metal on top of the building.  normally, during a dangerous TEXAS lightning/thunderstorm, people aren't sitting around chilling out in the open... around metal conduits on TOP of the building.  however, my chief and very initial concerns here, are the direct placement of these HUGE/GARGANTUAN polished chrome numbers located right in the front of a pedestrian area of a hotel.  upon how many times have we seen/witnessed/heard-of people getting struck/killed/harmed via dangerous lightning strikes?  please take a good close look at the provided illustration.  see the door directly behind it?  someone could very easily walk right out of that door during a lightning strike and get seriously hurt or even killed.  why on earth, do you think that officials stop football games during lightning storms and the such?  (they are extremely dangerous)  actually, i think that these shiny chrome polished numbers are very elegant, indeed.  however, there are very deadly venomous snakes that can be equally beautiful as well... 

4 hours ago, brijonmang said:

I've always approached the world in this way: There is no such thing as a stupid question, but there is such a thing as a stupid statement. Understandable if someone asked this Chrome thing as a question, but as statement...if this person wants to believe that Chrome on a street lamp next to a 16 story building is going to be priority one for lightning over a tall building then I say let them be. Especially if they don't want to take advice from either people in the business or a photographer that flies drones. Best let them believe what they want to believe.

@monarch You are totally right. I totally believe that those letters are dangerous, and so shall be struck by lightning to have them rid from the earth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

I love hotels. Always have.  But, this place?  This place does absolutely nothing for me.  I'm not even curious to inside and check it out.   

Are you saying that those absurdly, laughable, pathetic excuses for cornices don't tickle your fancy?! How dare you...

• Like 1