Grace United Methodist Church At 1245 Heights Blvd.

goastros

My mother in law recently moved to the Heights area and I'm trying to help her find a new church home.  She's a senior citizen and I'm looking for a church for her that has an active senior's group that goes on trips, goes out to eat together, etc.  She's open to just about any religion except Catholic.  We've tried a few already and the congregations seemed really small.  We were looking for a mid-size congregation for her.  Small enough for her to get involved but large enough that she can find a variety of friends.  Thanks for any recommendations.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I will definitely take her by to check out a sermon there.  I had previously marked it off the list because we tried attending there years ago before the new pastor was appointed and we didn't care for the speaker.  We already tried St. Mark's on Pecore but it didn't feel like home.

Doesn't like Catholicism, huh? Well, there goes All Saints and Christ the King.

Is Lutheran okay? I ask because I would highly recommend Immanuel Lutheran on 15th & Arlington as far as true, straight out of the Bible, preaching. Strong community of parishioners, that are supportive and legitimately care about the community they serve. It's a traditional Lutheran service, nothing real fancy, but IMO, a great place for an older person to go and worship the Lord. I know they do have activities for older members, I just don't know if they take trips and such.

If you're looking for a place that does A LOT for the elderly, is your mom open to changing banks? Prosperity Bank on Yale @

24th has a program called the "Go Club" that has monthly luncheons for the 65+ crowd, game nights, take trips to Louisiana to gamble, sewing clashes, arts and crafts events, and the like. She would have to open an account with the bank to be eligible for the club, but they do have a lot of neat activities that I think and hope your mother in law would enjoy.

Anyway, if you're just focused on churches, Immanuel is certainly worth a visit.

Edited by Purpledevil

Doesn't like Catholicism, huh? Well, there goes All Saints and Christ the King.

Is Lutheran okay? I ask because I would highly recommend Immanuel Lutheran on 15th & Arlington as far as true, straight out of the Bible, preaching. Strong community of parishioners, that are supportive and legitimately care about the community they serve. It's a traditional Lutheran service, nothing real fancy, but IMO, a great place for an older person to go and worship the Lord. I know they do have activities for older members, I just don't know if they take trips and such.

If you're looking for a place that does A LOT for the elderly, is your mom open to changing banks? Prosperity Bank on Yale @ 24th has a program called the "Go Club" that has monthly luncheons for the 65+ crowd, game nights, take trips to Louisiana to gamble, sewing classes, arts and crafts events, and the like. She would have to open an account with the bank to be eligible for the club, but they do have a lot of neat activities that I think and hope your mother in law would enjoy.

Anyway, if you're just focused on churches, Immanuel is certainly worth a visit.

Edit to add: Could you tell me what denomination of church she typically attended prior to the move, and a few of the things she most enjoys doing? I cared for my grandmother for several years prior to her passing in 2007 and may be able to help find her some more activities that would keep her body activity and her mind sharp, if I were more familiar with what she likes and/or dislikes.

She attended Cypress Creek Christian Church previously.  Then after her marriage she started attending a traditional Lutheran church.  In her early adulthood she attended a Methodist church.  

She used to belong to the singles group at Cypress Creek and they would go out to lunch and go on trips.  I'm not sure what other activities they were involved in.  Once she met her late husband they started working on a property investing business so she hasn't gotten to do regular activities for a while (hence the need for a new church home and a new circle of friends).  She loves reading and she recently got a dog (her late husband was allergic to dogs so she had been without for a while).  We're trying to get property mgmt companies set up for her properties so she doesn't have to be burdened with the day to day operations of those anymore.  But, that leaves her with more time on her hands.  She's a wonderful caretaker so she enjoyed working in the ministry at her old church visiting people at the hospital.

Some possible activities of interest:

http://seniors.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/houston/

http://www.ehow.com/list_6933554_senior-citizen-activities-houston_-texas.html

Volunteering opportunities:

http://www.memorialhermann.org/give-volunteer/volunteer/

http://www.houstonmethodist.org/giving/volunteer/

http://www.mdanderson.org/how-you-can-help/volunteer/adult-volunteers/index.html

Hopefully, that will give you some good ideas moving forward. Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention my grandparent's church, Baptist Temple. The church (or what's left of it) is on West 20th, across from Kroger. The building is being refurbished, so as a temporary solution they meet for services at the Sheraton Brookhollow. This was a huge church just 20 years ago, with a congregation well over 1,500...maybe closer to 2k. The parishioners dwindled dramatically over the last decade and 1/2, and from what I've seen personally, I think it was actually a blessing to some extent. The church is much more focused on its membership than it once was, and the minister delivers a solid Bible based message. They also do perform community services, visiting the sick, homebound and hospitalized, as well as prayer circles and the like.

Best of luck to you, goastros. I certainly hope you find the right fit for the both of you.

PD

• The title was changed to Grace United Methodist Church At 1245 Heights Blvd.