Was This Street Renamed?

?  That church is Sacred Heart, not St Josephs. 

They should revert to the historic name of Calhoun St.  They shouldn't have renamed a downtown city street after a private institution to begin with, nor called it a "Parkway".

I agree. I liked the old name much better. St Joseph's Parkway is lame.

When was this switch made. I am thinking it was pretty recent - under 5 years ago. I do not really remember.

St. Joseph's has quite the history in respect to births in Houston. They have a alumni club of people born there and it is quite extensive. We were just talking about this at my work the other day and 4 of the 10 people in the room were born there and considering that was all the natives in the room I think that is saying something.

What about the street rename in front of the Convention Center?

It should be reverted to its original name, but a group like LULAC my complain so guess it won't happen.

The street in front of the convention center is using its original name. It was laid out new when the downtown street grid was altered for the George R Brown.

I agree.  I liked the old name much better.  St Joseph's Parkway is lame.

When was this switch made.  I am thinking it was pretty recent - under 5 years ago.  I do not really remember.

It was Saint Joseph's in 1999 when I moved to Houston. The change must have happened before then.

I am pretty sure most of Houston was not born at St. Josephs.    I was under the impression that there was a "Baby" hospital before the days of the medical center.

The old maternity hospital was where the current park and fountain complex is across the street. There's a marker on the wall explaining its history.

^^

I though it was renamed, my bad.

It was renamed a few years after the GRB opened. The original name was the ever-exciting "Convention Center Blvd."

But Subdude is correct in saying it was a new street laid out when the GRB was built. Before that project there was no street where Avenida de las Americas is now. This is evident from either end of the street, where you can see that it is less than a full block away from Crawford, the next closest north-south street. The GRB project changed much of the street grid in that area, and it has been further modified since the construction of the Hilton Americas, Toyota Center, GRB expansion, associated parking garages, and extension of Avenida de las Americas north to Texas Ave.

St . Joseph  Hospital, founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1866, has been expanding its complex downtown. It petitioned for the street name change  to help amplify its identity in the community. City Council approved the request.

It should also be noted that in renaming Calhoun as a parkway , council made an exception to the practice that east-west downtown streets, such as Texas, are designated as avenues while north-south thoroughfares, such as Main, are called streets.

renaming of calhoun

must have archives access, though...

For those without Chronicle archives access, the date of the name change from Calhoun Ave. to St. Joseph Pkwy. was November 22, 1997.

A search of the archives reveals that Convention Center Blvd. became Avenida de las Americas in late September 1992 after a proposal to rename Post Oak Blvd. through Uptown to that name was met with major objection from the business community.

• 1 year later...
I am pretty sure most of Houston was not born at St. Josephs. I was under the impression that there was a "Baby" hospital before the days of the medical center.

I was born at St. Joseph's in 1955. I think it was considered the baby hospital back then.

I was also born in St. Joseph.

I think Midtown Coog's numbers may not be accurate with TODAY's population, but was probably accurate as little as 20 years ago. While 20% of a city population may not seem significant, considering the number of Hospitals (Med Center) along with the transient population, it is certainly a telling number.

Archived