Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

Proposed Residence Inn - 7807 Kirby Dr.

This probably means an interesting redevelopment of the existing residence inn site - they've got a lot of dirt to play with.

Any recent links on this?  I googled and found a clip from an April planning commission meeting where a variance was denied.  They did mention a 5 story parking garage

The current Residence Inn nearby definitely takes up a lot of land.  It looks like an old apartment complex from that Kroger parking lot

I've got to stop searching those things by zip code as I missed it

It's weird but Pg 270 and 271 seem out of place, like they are mixed in with the Medistar hotel documents?

I've got to stop searching those things by zip code as I missed it

It's weird but Pg 270 and 271 seem out of place, like they are mixed in with the Medistar hotel documents?

Yeah that confused me for a bit as I had to look more into it to realize this was a separate project, hopefully they fix that and release more info with the final version tomorrow. 

Me wonders if the parking garage will be constructed next to the hotel, or the hotel will be constructed on top.

Ok, ok, it's nice to see infill for this area. But not sure a Residence Inn is worthy of our Going Up page. Maybe in Neighborhoods?

No disrespect to Urbannizer...

• Like 1

Ok, ok, it's nice to see infill for this area. But not sure a Residence Inn is worthy of our Going Up page. Maybe in Neighborhoods?

No disrespect to Urbannizer...

^^^ this is hilarious!

Some permitting activity on this.  No building permit yet but looks like it is going to happen:

Project Details   Project No: 15097499 Date : 2015/09/09 00:00:00 USE : NEW HOTEL Owner/Occupant : *RESIDENCE INN Job Address : 7807 KIRBY DR 77030 Valuation : $ 0 Permit Type : PX FCC Group : Hotels & Motels Buyer : *ALL TEXAS PERMITS Address : 12723 ASHFORD BROOK DR 77082 Phone : (281) 556-1883

If I recall from that planning commission meeting, this will have a 5 story parking garage.  So while it's not necessarily the sexiest project I would argue that it is substantial

As someone else previously pointed out, this should also have implications on the existing low-rise Residence Inn across the street.  It certainly takes up a pretty good chunk of land

Edited by OkieEric

Around 20 stories tall?!? Am I reading this right? If so it will be one of the tallest buildings in the area.

Around 20 stories tall?!? Am I reading this right? If so it will be one of the tallest buildings in the area.

More likely something around 15 stories.  For example, the Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites under construction downtown is 14 stories and 186 feet.

More likely something around 15 stories. For example, the Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites under construction downtown is 14 stories and 186 feet.

Still, that's a substantial change to the skyline for this section of Houston. I wasn't ecstatic about this initially, but at this height it's a pretty notable addition.

I drove by yesterday and didn't see any activity to speak of on this one yet.  There is a Moody National banner on the fence regarding the project but it's been there a while

I drive by that plot of land all the time and have been wondering what will go there.  So many hotels are being build along Main Street, its amazing.  Well I guess that is better then a apartment complex.

Edited by Moonb007

You guys are right - 16 stories.  I just realized how small that pic was so here is a bigger version showing the double floors.  At least it's not all beige?

KWYCPENh.jpg

• Like 3

This has looked pretty much dead, but a ton of permits (including building permits for parking garage and tower) were issued yesterday

• Like 3

On 9/3/2016 at 9:40 PM, OkieEric said:

This has looked pretty much dead, but a ton of permits (including building permits for parking garage and tower) were issued yesterday

Here's the permits.

http://houstontx.gov/planning/Publications/listsrv/WebeReport.html

7807 KIRBY DR - HIGH RISE HOTEL & PARK.GARAGE(M-3)1-16-1-R1-A SP/FA'06IB

7807 KIRBY DR GARG - HOTEL PARKING GARAGE (2-3) 1-4-2-S2-B 06IBC

7807 KIRBY DR BLD 1 - HI-RISE HOTEL FIRE PUMP RM (3-3)1-16-1-S2-A SP/FA'06IBC

• Like 3

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/09/12/exclusive-new-hotel-to-rise-near-nrg-stadium-med.html

Houston-based Moody National Cos. is developing a new hotel near NRG Stadium and just minutes away from the Texas Medical Center.

A 182-key Residence Inn will break ground in the next six months at 7807 Kirby Dr., a Moody National Cos. representative told the Houston Business Journal. A completion date hasn't been finalized.

• Like 2

I heard "new hotel near NRG Stadium" and I immediately thought of the former Days Inn spot at Kirby and Westridge, but nope, that had been converted to a dirt lot, even taking the old parking lot that remained.

It was Droubi's Bakery & Deli until sometime in 2007, a Mediterranean establishment that is still around in a different location. Swamplot indicates that it incorporated railroad cars into its design somehow. I wonder why the old location was demolished.

• Like 1

That rendering kind of reminds me of the embassy suites downtown. Might look good on paper, but im not convinced that building will be attractive after construction. This should help extend the skyline of the medical district a little farther south. The location is kind of surrounded by a sea of surface level parking lots that get occupied for football games and rodeo. 

• Like 2

http://www.arch-con.com/division/residence-inn-medical-center/ 

The Residence Inn is located in the Houston Medical Center, Houston, Texas.  It stands sixteen floors, measures 214’-0” to the top of the roof, spans a total foot print of 166,200 square feet and houses 182 guest rooms.  The Residence Inn includes large lobby, lounge, dining areas and provides amenities for its guests such as an indoor pool, a full-size fitness workout room, and a pantry room for grab-and-go food conveniences. The second floor of the hotel includes four well-sized meeting/conference rooms while floors 3-16 serve as guest room and service floors.  The building is a concrete structure, encapsulated with EIFS, cast stone, brick accents and glass curtain wall façade.  The guest rooms are designed for the extended-stay traveler with kitchen and appliances, sleeping and living room features for that home away from home feel.  A 70,000-square-foot concrete parking garage will provide adequate parking for its guests.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2016 at 0:13 PM, EllenOlenska said:

I'm not an architect, but (generally) I think take the hip roofs off. 

Must be nice to be a RA

I've been saying it for awhile now... but S Main is going to be the new hot place. TONS of large lots occupied by old apartments in (what are now) prime locations. 

• Like 2