Gregory Elementary School At 1300 Victor St.

4thWardBoy

Just curious what happened to all the federal money the city has received for the restoration of this site.

Approx. $1.1M in federal dollars was received by the city towards the Gregory School project. The majority of those dollars have been spent during the scope development, progamming, and design phases of the project. Those plans are 90% complete. The city has identified nearly $3M in bond and grant funds towards the nearly $5.5M construction budget for the project.

The city is in the process of finalizing plans, budgets, operating costs, and management of the facility before committing the balance of the needed funding and beginning construction. The intent is to begin construction before the end of the current fiscal year; June 30, 2006.

It's been a long three-year process, but considering that HISD allowed the building to rot into complete disrepair for nearly 20 years before the city agreed to take it over and save it, and considering the ridiculous amount of political posturing that has enveloped the project, the city is making reasonable progress.

Approx. $1.1M in federal dollars was received by the city towards the Gregory School project. The majority of those dollars have been spent during the scope development, progamming, and design phases of the project. Those plans are 90% complete. The city has identified nearly $3M in bond and grant funds towards the nearly $5.5M construction budget for the project.

The city is in the process of finalizing plans, budgets, operating costs, and management of the facility before committing the balance of the needed funding and beginning construction. The intent is to begin construction before the end of the current fiscal year; June 30, 2006.

It's been a long three-year process, but considering that HISD allowed the building to rot into complete disrepair for nearly 20 years before the city agreed to take it over and save it, and considering the ridiculous amount of political posturing that has enveloped the project, the city is making reasonable progress.

• 6 months later...

i was riding my bike by the old gregory school in freeman's

town area and there is a new sign saying that it is the new site

of a black heritage library. i think this is awesome because i

really love that building and hooray for anything concerning

a new heritage library. i am assuming they will revamp at

least part of the school, since i really love that building ---

please tell me this is so...

the other library comment is that i was on my way to the

main library downtown. i went in and thre was a sign

that read ---

Edited by torvald

the other library comment is that i was on my way to the

main library downtown. i went in and thre was a sign

that read ---

• 2 weeks later...

it's this school.

does anyone know if it will undergo renovation?

does anyone have any old photos of this building when it was in use?

Edited by torvald

Torvald, I don't believe it is exactly that school. That school was located on Jefferson, between Smith and Louisiana. It no longer exists. However, the Gregory School on Victor Street is named for the same Gen. Gregory as the original Gregory Institute.

Incidentally, Gregory Institue was the original high school for black children in Houston. Gregory School was an elementary school.

There is a planned renovation of Gregory School.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=3249

Edited by RedScare

Torvald, I don't believe it is exactly that school. That school was located on Jefferson, between Smith and Louisiana. It no longer exists. However, the Gregory School on Victor Street is named for the same Gen. Gregory as the original Gregory Institute.

There is a planned renovation of Gregory School.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=3249

you are right -- i am glad they are trying to renovate

• 2 years later...

Don't know anything about it myself, but there's a photo of a "Gregory (Colored) School" in isuredid's old school photo collection. Photo 139 of 283 - I don't know how to link to the photo itself.

See this thread as well.

And the website for the African American Library at the Gregory School.

Edited by tmariar

• 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to Gregory School
S.gif

December 12 | 11 AM
African American History Research Center at the Gregory School

Thanks to the efforts of the African American Library Gregory Friends, the former Gregory Elementary School has received a historical marker. The community is invited to attend an unveiling and dedication at the African American History Center located at 1300 Victor St., 77019. (This event has been rescheduled from November.)
c039ba85-f94d-44a9-8ffd-2a191c562d0f.png

• The title was changed to Gregory Elementary School At 1300 Victor St.