Park West Apartments

Nate99

LINK

$360mm development. Developer kicks in cash up front and leases the land for 30 years from TAMU. Financing involves some kind of whackadoo NFP structure involving bonds (tax free treatment, maybe?).

Looks like it is situated on the north side of George Bush drive just behind the horse pavilion and reaches back to Marion Pugh/Luther streets.  

55baf71b03e3f.image.jpg

more like a waste of space. This is why its bad when developers try to develop to large of tracts of land. They end up wasting a lot of it due to poor planning. If this is suppose to be student housing I don't understand why it wouldn't be oriented closer to the school.

more like a waste of space. This is why its bad when developers try to develop to large of tracts of land. They end up wasting a lot of it due to poor planning. If this is suppose to be student housing I don't understand why it wouldn't be oriented closer to the school.

It's not far for those that spend a good chunk of time west of the tracks, but if you get outside of the old “main campus” square, you’re going to be pretty far from some other part of the campus these days, not sure what would be available any closer.  It could be totally legit, but it smells like a brother-in-law boondoggle. Not sure why the University couldn’t just sell the land and stay out of the RE development game.  As for its design, I’m having trouble caring much about it either way.

It's not far for those that spend a good chunk of time west of the tracks, but if you get outside of the old “main campus” square, you’re going to be pretty far from some other part of the campus these days, not sure what would be available any closer.  It could be totally legit, but it smells like a brother-in-law boondoggle. Not sure why the University couldn’t just sell the land and stay out of the RE development game.  As for its design, I’m having trouble caring much about it either way.

Oh trust me. I remember walking West Campus! Its not fun.

A&M is one of the largest campus by acreage in the nation. You also read that part about the public-private partnership. Its all about the money! Thats all universities are today. Just one giant business.

I actually saw something pretty revealing when I was at my firm a few days ago. One of the guys found out that in a bunch different codes especially fire codes they actually list higher education facilities as "businesses". Anyway I'm going off on a tangent.

Its just way to much land for one developer to have to deal with. The smaller the site the more creative you have to be. The larger the site the more waste you run into. Its just so spread out. None of the buildings in the plan speak to each other. The design doesn't connect with other developments around it. I'm quite surprised by this because College Station actually has a pretty firm hand in whats developed in the city and it actually has zoning. The design overall is kinda bland and seems like its just being cranked out by a machine. I don't know who is doing these buildings, but it looks like its from somebody who normally develops suburban apartments and just doesn't really know what they are doing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived