New Hope Housing EaDo: Multifamily At 3301 Harrisburg Blvd.

Urbannizer

harrisburgRendering1-e1446582984257.jpg

http://newhopehousing.com/properties/on-the-drawing-board/

New Hope is in pre-development to construct NHH at Harrisburg, located at 3301 Harrisburg Boulevard, on the light rail in the East End, a near- downtown residential neighborhood with access to employment opportunities and social services.

Designed to include a lively streetscape, Harrisburg will offer 175 fully furnished single room occupancy (SRO) studio apartments, plus 4,000 SF of retail space and 7,000 SF of commercial office space for non-profits. Underscoring our mission, we will relocate New Hope’s corporate headquarters to this property. Groundbreaking is in early 2016

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

http://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=7081&MeetingID=149

Background:

The Houston Housing Finance Corporation (HHFC) provides tax-exempt bond financing for developments that provide persons of low and moderate income with quality, affordable housing.  New Hope Housing has submitted an application to HHFC for bond financing to construct the 175-unit NHH at Harrisburg development to be located at 3301 Harrisburg Blvd.

HHFC Bylaws and federal tax law require that City Council approve bonds issued by the corporation.  HHFC is therefore requesting that City Council approve a $15 million bond issue for this project.  HHFC bonds are not backed by the full faith and credit of the City of Houston—they are non-recourse to the City.   

The developer has received support from community leaders and residents for this property. This transit-oriented development is located on the newly constructed extension of Metro's light rail line on Harrisburg Blvd.  The bond financing will be leveraged with tax credit equity, sale proceeds from another facility, and charitable contributions. The City of Houston Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) has committed $5,986,233 in HOME funds and $631,500 in Housing and Homeless bond funds for this development.

• 1 month later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Sale-to-Astros-means-new-digs-for-New-Hope-Housing-7242069.php

New Hope Housing, in turn, will break ground Thursday on a new $25 million mixed-use development at Harrisburg and Sampson that will open in 2017.

The Houston architectural firm GSMA will design the New Hope Housing development on Harrisburg, which Horak-Brown said would include retail and commercial space along with efficiency apartments and the nonprofit's offices.

Horak-Brown said the average cost of housing at the Hamilton Street location is about $450 per month and includes utilities, cable television and access to social services designed to stabilize the lives of residents who struggle with homelessness and financial stress. Average stay at New Hope Housing units is between 18 months and two years.

The Astros have expressed concerns about potential parking issues on the east side of downtown Houston with increased development around the ballpark and a long-term plan by the Texas Department of Transportation to demolish the Pierce Elevated and reroute I-45 to the east side of the city core along with U.S. 59.

Horak-Brown said New Hope Housing will break ground on its Harrisburg Boulevard project at 5:30 p.m. Thursday

13 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Worried about parking?  *shakes head*

Anyway, does low income housing such as this have any lasting effect on development in the area?

Is Clayton homes low income?  And if so did it deter development in the immediate vicinity? 

It will certainly make many people think twice about buying a home near it. I sure wouldn't buy anything near it.

9 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Worried about parking?  *shakes head*

Anyway, does low income housing such as this have any lasting effect on development in the area?

Is Clayton homes low income?  And if so did it deter development in the immediate vicinity? 

Yes, i would not walk any where near Clayton homes. I was surprised an upscale apartment complex was built nearby. Just look at the reviews online for the marquis lofts just down the street from there. Looks to be lots of problems coming from the adjacent projects. 

IF, 45 gets re-routed. you will see the demolition of Clayton Homes and Kelly Courts. Two of the worst public housing operations in Houston. For east end residents, that is the only good part of the I-45 Re-route. I hope it doesn't happen. This re-location of homeless facilities into East End and path to prosperity for the west side of town is damn near criminal.

For $25 million just build 200 homes out in the boondocks. Star of Hope is a joke.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

I'm in my twenties. I'd live there. That looks nice to me. And, frankly, better than the big off-campus students center at UH with the red blocks protruding from its roof. 

so glad you made this comment.  I agree.  This building is nice and in keeping with current décor trends in Houston and America.  The snobbery I see in criticisms and comments on this forum wreaks of oh so much maligned garbage spewed forth from a somewhat large "neighbor" city up north whose name shall be omitted.  I recommend Houstonians NOT to become like that other unnamed place in the way it's residents continually commit to this nasty critical vile way of thinking and commenting on other places.  Keep Houston, well... Houston.

Archived