Yale Marketplace Retail Center At 3004 Yale St.

mrfootball

As further evidenced that this new concept is the one going in midtown there is a link that brings you to the earlier article about this Pearl project going up in midtown that will have a whole foods. Safe to say this new concept and this Pearl are one in the same. This is awesome news! Nice to see a company be this dedicated to Houston and trying something new here.

errrrrr. try again :)

Honestly, I am glad to see a full blown WF in Midtown. Avandale, Westmorland, Hyde Park can definitely support a WF

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.virtualbx.com/industry-news/24708-whole-foods-market-brings-365-grocery-to-houston-s-garden-oaks.html

Houston (Harris County) - It has been nearly two years since Austin-based Whole Foods Market made known its intent to build a 365 grocery in the Garden Oaks/Independence Heights neighborhoods, but vertical construction is about to take off.

As was noticed by Swamplot readers several weeks back, site preparation began in March at the northeast corner of Yale Street and the North Loop 610 frontage road. The initial site work entailed removal of a garage/office building that was used by Neff Rental, a heavy construction equipment supplier.

Contractors may only bid at the invitation of the developer, Fidelis Realty Partners. However, Virtual Builders Exchange has learned that bids on this project, Yale Marketplace, are due tomorrow, May 4.

According to the construction documents, Fidelis directly controls a corner lot of just over 4 acres through a limited liability company, Yale 610 Associates LLC. Fidelis closed on the land transaction in January, according to the county appraisal district.

The Fidelis site will have two leased spaces—a 30,00-square-foot building for 365 by Whole Foods and an adjoining 12,000-square-foot facility for an emergency room clinic. The grocery project name is Garden Oaks 365.

In an effort to attract a larger customer base, Whole Foods rolled out the 365 by Whole Foods concept a few years back. The 365 is a smaller pantry-style store with fewer consumer choices and more competitive pricing. The first 365 stores opened outside of Texas and this will be the first location in Harris County.

The entire development includes more than the Fidelis project. Houston-based Parkside Capital purchased the lot adjacent to the north boundary of the Fidelis site in June 2015, and the two firms are working together; 3004 Yale Street, which has been home to The Potter’s House Christian Church, will be the site of an additional 19,200-square-foot retail strip center.

Parkside Capital’s property description explains that, “through a joint venture, Parkside purchased a 36,000 SF industrial building on 76,839 SF of land … the property has a connection to the corner for future retail development.”

Including the Parkside Capital site, the total site encompasses about 5.8 acres. The site preparation plans also include demolition of the church building, which was actually originally an industrial structure that never looked much like a church.

Fidelis has its two locations under contract with Whole Foods and Houston Heights ER. Leases have been arranged on the third building with a dental practice and a cellular phone retailer; that leaves 13,200 square feet of available tenant space.

These will be concrete tilt-wall structures with step-up roof elevations of 23 feet in height at low parapet and 28 feet at high parapet, and a 35-foot tower. The main lot (not including Parkside) accommodates 242 vehicles. A patio style outdoor seating area will be located in front of the grocery, to the left of the entrance. The site has two points of access; 35-foot curb cuts will provide access from the 610 feeder and Yale Street.

No estimate of project cost has been released. However, retail developments of this scale have been getting built for about $3.5 million.[/quote]

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2018 at 10:46 AM, Angostura said:

Looks a lot like a Sprouts.

Not a coincidence.  There has been a lot of growth in the smaller specialty discount stores in Houston and nationally.  Trader Joes, Sprouts, and Aldi are all aggressively fighting for market share.  Regionally, Natural Grocers has been expanding rapidly with smaller and more earthy versions of Whole Foods.  The have a couple of new stores going up in Central TX.  These smaller stores are getting good market penetration because they can take up existing spaces in strip centers without having to build a giant store on a giant lot.  And they more or less sell most of what people get at Whole Foods at better prices (but sometimes not as is the case of the often random pricing at Sprouts).  So, it only makes sense for Whole Foods to try their own version to protect their market share.  

On 8/23/2018 at 1:18 PM, s3mh said:

Not a coincidence.  There has been a lot of growth in the smaller specialty discount stores in Houston and nationally.  Trader Joes, Sprouts, and Aldi are all aggressively fighting for market share.  Regionally, Natural Grocers has been expanding rapidly with smaller and more earthy versions of Whole Foods.  The have a couple of new stores going up in Central TX.  These smaller stores are getting good market penetration because they can take up existing spaces in strip centers without having to build a giant store on a giant lot.  And they more or less sell most of what people get at Whole Foods at better prices (but sometimes not as is the case of the often random pricing at Sprouts).  So, it only makes sense for Whole Foods to try their own version to protect their market share.  

So, I went there to see what it was like.  It is just a smaller Whole Foods with some sale items displayed more prominently.  This one should do reasonably well because people in GOOF are totally starved for grocery store choices.  And I guess cutting overhead with smaller footprints is always a good business decision.  But I do not see this store as winning over any TJ, Sprouts or Aldi devotees.  

On 8/27/2018 at 10:47 AM, s3mh said:

So, I went there to see what it was like.  It is just a smaller Whole Foods with some sale items displayed more prominently.  This one should do reasonably well because people in GOOF are totally starved for grocery store choices.  And I guess cutting overhead with smaller footprints is always a good business decision.  But I do not see this store as winning over any TJ, Sprouts or Aldi devotees.  

Me and my fiance have shopped here twice now. I actually like it and I've never been a Whole Foods shopper. Does feel comparable to a Sprouts though but with the Prime membership discounts and the other savings here and there, I'll probably keep coming back here. Small selection but it's not too far from my home so it works.

• 10 months later...

As for the 365, with Amazon removing the brand it appears this store is heading towards becoming a more traditional Whole Foods.  The Peli Peli is closed and moving over to the Post Oak store.  Supposedly that section will become more area for store products and they will be growing products across the rest of the store as well.  Hopefully they add a bar but thats just wishful thinking on my part.  

• The title was changed to Yale Marketplace | 3004 Yale | Formerly 365 Whole Foods Market
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 10:14 AM, mcook2002 said:

As for the 365, with Amazon removing the brand it appears this store is heading towards becoming a more traditional Whole Foods.  The Peli Peli is closed and moving over to the Post Oak store.  Supposedly that section will become more area for store products and they will be growing products across the rest of the store as well.  Hopefully they add a bar but thats just wishful thinking on my part.  

Juice Society is out too...

The problem with this development is the retail is great but the location isn't. I've driven to that Exxon across the street to get some gas and it's just not an aesthetically pleasing part of town. Especially when you have homeless camping under the overpass. Not saying that couldn't change in the next few years.

6 hours ago, gmac said:

You looking for mountains and alpine meadows? It's an older residential neighborhood near a very busy thoroughfare. I don't know how aesthetically pleasing that could be.

Not to mention that the area East of Yale was one of the poorer parts of town for many years. The West side of Yale is the portion of Garden Oks with smaller houses and less redevelopment.

People in the industry like to say "retail follows residential", but I think this development may have gone the other way.  Independence Heights is still pretty rough even though residential construction is on the upswing.  I think in about 5-10 years it will start looking a lot like Cottage Grove and will better support the Whole Foods and other retail.  I do not think that people are staying away because of the neighborhood.  The Whole Foods 365 concept stunk and then HEB opened near by.  If HEB opened in the same spot, it would have been just as packed as the one on N. Shep.

23 hours ago, gmac said:

You looking for mountains and alpine meadows? It's an older residential neighborhood near a very busy thoroughfare. I don't know how aesthetically pleasing that could be.

No I'm looking for a beach right behind the freeway. Just because its an older neighborhood doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. And yeah its on a busy thoroughfare, so what? It being on a busy road doesn't mean it can’t be more presentable. And I'm not complaining here, I'm simply making the case as to why some of these businesses are leaving, chill out. 

On 8/15/2019 at 8:22 PM, Ross said:

Not to mention that the area East of Yale was one of the poorer parts of town for many years. The West side of Yale is the portion of Garden Oks with smaller houses and less redevelopment.

I live in the Garden Oaks Section 1 between yale and shepherd and beg to differ.  There are right now around 5-10 tear downs with Whitestone and Rob Ryan (as examples) building on them in the section with pretty extensive remodeling going on in at least another 5-10 houses.   We are also bordered by Cottonwood and the likes of Shepherd Park Plaza (Pink's, Shepherd Park), and the Aldi is just on the other side of the tracks on the west side which are pretty solid redevelopments in my opinion.  

East of Yale, no real objection to your comment except for the decent commercial warehouse selections and renovations to some of the older ones which are currently on going right on Yale and right next to this development. 

Archived