New Houston Airport

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

I've been thinking we've needed this for some time. Hobby and Intercontinental are our existing airports. Intercontinentals newer but is geting old. They're also runing out of room for expansion.

TIme for a new airport. If we want to handle all of our flights,be an international city,and hold big events we need a new and improved airport system. Perfect spot would be George Bush Park between I-10,Westheimer, and HWY 6.

Siting on the Weste SIe it would be a perfect hub for people on the westside to catch flights. We've got one on the sooutheast, one on the north, and then one on the west. No need for going throught raffic worrying if you're gonna miss your flight.

It would be a perfect addition to West Houston. Right off the freeway and Westheimer all of Houston's destinations would be easy to get to. All the countreies other big cities hae 3 international airports. And they're also huge.......LAX,Ohare, JFK.......Intercontinental's not nearly as known.

So lets say by 2010 we could be halfway through the construction.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been thinking we've needed this for some time. Hobby and Intercontinental are our existing airports. Intercontinentals newer but is geting old. They're also runing out of room for expansion.

TIme for a new airport. If we want to handle all of our flights,be an international city,and hold big events we need a new and improved airport system. Perfect spot would be George Bush Park between I-10,Westheimer, and HWY 6.

Siting on the Weste SIe it would be a perfect hub for people on the westside to catch flights. We've got one on the sooutheast, one on the north, and then one on the west. No need for going throught raffic worrying if you're gonna miss your flight.

It would be a perfect addition to West Houston. Right off the freeway and Westheimer all of Houston's destinations would be easy to get to. All the countreies other big cities hae 3 international airports. And they're also huge.......LAX,Ohare, JFK.......Intercontinental's not nearly as known.

So lets say by 2010 we could be halfway through the construction.

I think it would be better if Sugarland's airport went major. It's be a boom for Sugarland's growth, and H-Town's as well.

Ellington Field is relatively close to Hobby, I would think an airport southwest of Houston would be more lucrative. By the way, the government should retain Ellington Field as a military base. Houston has too many targets to be without an air force base.

The concept of putting an airport where the reservoirs shows lack of considerations.

The Barker and Addicks reservoir aren't even cound flood control structures. They are regulated by the army corps of engineers. Nothing that will require fill will be built in those areas.

IAH is actually quite capable of handling many more passangers than it currently handles. The place is quite efficient at moving people in an out compared to many other aiports in the US. Expansion is eaily possible at Terminal B. Two new east-west runways are plannded for IAH which will increase their capacity greatly.

Hobby moving along with the complete remodel of its terminals. Once completed, the airport will be able to handle the increasing commuting load better.

The Houston Aiport System is quite sufficient. If any new Airport should be built, it should be built as competition for the Houston system by most probably the communities in Fort Bend County as mentioned above.

A new airport has been discussed to handle private planes short-haul only. Plans are in development of continued expansion of IAH. Major carriers would probably prefer to stick to one large airport to maximize their flexibility in scheduling flights and layovers.

Totally off topic here, but why is there a junk yard on Will Clayton parkway? And all along that corridor that welcomes people into Houston, is being jucked up with ugly businesses. I remember when I first moved here, the airport was like the Woodland, all in the woods, now it becoming like a feeder road system. Can't they zone it to look better? A freaking junk yard! Of all the places to put one in. Freaking ineptitude really pisses me off. End of Rant.

But along that route is also many businesses that cator to people going to and from the airport. The land is real-estate primed for development.

Also, the planned corridor for people leaving and entering the airport is supposed to be the southern one. Especially when the Hardy extension into downtown is finished.

I can think of a lot of major airports that give you different impressions of city than what the city actually is.

You can't just raise the land!!! Those facilities are there for a reason. The Addicks and Barker Reservoirs exist today to prevent what happened in the late 1920s.

The only thing alowed in these reservoirs are parks and recreation that won't place fill. Within Harris County, any fill placed in a designated floodplain has be compensated with and equal sized hole so the fill won't cause some else to flood.

The only place on the west side of Houston for and Airport would be outside the Grand Parkway. The other places a large Airport can be placed would be in Brazoria County (SH 288) and outside SH 6 in the Sugarland area.

The reservoirs are here to stay and don't think many people would be happy by removing these large greenspaces that serve the community as a natural habitat and as a major flood protection measure.

Easily solved, we raise the land. Besides there aren't oo many other places on the West side that have the area needed to complete such an understaking.  There's Bear Creek Park, but it also is in a resevoir.

If they do put an airport there they could raise the landing strips on platforms leave the enough space under for the flood plain, reservoir, or what ever it is. The engineering itself would give Houston some notoriety like the airport in Japan or in Hong Kong. I am thinking the Discovery Channel could make a documentary special on it and it would give people around the world something to talk about Houston.

I have always thought that would be a perfect place for an airport ever since they wanted to build the one behind Katy. I think Houston still owns the land out there. Maybe they could try to build it out there. I think the Katy's city counsel has changed; they were an instrumental part when it came to shooting down the project.

You can't just raise the land!!!  Those facilities are there for a reason.  The Addicks and Barker Reservoirs exist today to prevent what happened in the late 1920s.

You are very right they can't just raise the land, but I think Houston builds the airport on stilts the city could use the land for dual purposes. And anyone Flying in would see a green space rather then ugly city urban decay that usually builds up near airports.

Guest Plastic

AN airport on stilts, that one hell of a good idea.

Yeah we could just raise the concrete. The land would flood but the critical parts of the airport wouldn't. THat's a nixe way of thinking.

No more complaining about the cost of the Katy Freeway rebuild on this site as long as people are talking about airports on stilts!  ;)

I don't really think it would cost all that much more then building an airport on ground level. Think of it as an airport on an oil rig, or a Naval ship.

Plus, I have never complained about the cost of beer or the katy-freeway! However, I am seriously think of not driving my car until gas prices go down about $0.30! But I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

Then why are NEW subdivision are being built all around it and new business are popping up everywhere?

The northeast side is still being seen as great place to live. And if you live north of the airport, you really don't here to much of the airplanes. Mostly east and west of the aiport you hear everything.

Easily solved, we raise the land. Besides there aren't oo many other places on the West side that have the area needed to complete such an understaking.  There's Bear Creek Park, but it also is in a resevoir.

unfortunately, if you raise the land there then all the surrounding areas would be under water come the first big rain. There would be nobody left to use that airport.

though EFD is still part of the airport system, continental pulled out of there last year so its only used by a few private carriers, the Air Force, and NASA.

it was costing continental too much to fly out of there, and they were charging the same price for tickets that included the hop to IAH. many NASA employees wrote letters asking them to keep the service, and charge whatever they want for tickets, since it was mostly used by business travelers. the convenience was great, location, easy parking, no security lines. too bad they don't offer that service anymore...

To me, the absolute best idea is to expand Hobby's existing terminals size wise. Make each terminal a two-to-three story complex. And if there's any room for more runway space, eventually build it. Being here in Asia, I've seen some BEAUTIFUL architechural designs done to their airports. It could work out to be an advantage to Houston if they did similar exterior designs to Hobby.

Hobby is currently undergoing a massive terminal expansion that will be completed too. Some new gates to add capacity. New Runways are needed right now.

The third Airport is Ellington AFB. The Houston Airport system runs this facility eventhough the military and NASA use it.

Below is the link to the local agency that oversees and runs the airport system here.

Houston Airport System

With Hobby's ongoing, albeit S-L-O-W, reconstruction that will add more gates, and the fact that several terminals at IAH still have room for expansion, I don't see a need for a third large airport for commercial passenger service in Houston. At IAH, Terminal A's new concourses that were opened in 1999 and 2002 both were designed to accomodate some expansion. Right now both of these concourses, especially the north, aren't being used to their full capacity, and would accomodate additional flights and airlines. Terminal B, which is still very much in its original configuration, just with more gates crammed into it's four "pods," could also be reconfigured to a more modern concourse layout like Terminal A was, allowing for more gates and easier connections between flights. Overall, IAH has approximately 50 more gates than it did 10 years ago before the expansion began, as Terminal E didn't exist then, A was in its original configuration, and Continental hadn't added a bunch of gates to B because they hadn't moved the Express operation to that terminal yet.

Guest Plastic

Yes but see we've got to loo into the future.

In 20 years from now we don't want to be stuck in airplane gridlock when we could have prevented it 20 years earlier just like our freeway gridlock.

Archived