Cheek Neal Coffee Building At 2017 Preston St.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2015/07/houston-tech-company-moves-forward-on-headquarters.html

I thought I remembered there was an existing thread for this but I can't find it.

that looks like the original Schlumberger building on Leeland and Delano.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.743255,-95.353177,3a,75y,242.71h,97.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syw_buzWTqOHkrNeCqWOtUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

In fact, on the street view, there's a picture hidden behind the power pole (another reason the city needs to bury these things!) and it looks exactly like what's on HBJ.

Every time I see it, I wish that someone would clean it up, I was wishing it would be turned into condos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a dream about this building. It was full of zombies. For the longest time I've always wondered about the history behind it. I'm glad they've decide to make use of it instead of turning it into parking space.

Had you just watched Fear of the Walking Dead?

Had you just watched Fear of the Walking Dead?

This was a while ago. I use to drive past the building frequently to get to Navigation. Seen it when I was a kid when we'd go grocery shopping at Kim Hung in the early 90s. I've been using google street view to scope out warehouses in the area to convert into a garage/residential and chance upon it again. So I googled it and found some blurb about Kraft taking down the Maxwell House sign from a coffee plant in the East End. It mentioned the previous 2017 Preston warehouse.

And of course HAIF never fails me if I need to find out info about an old building. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Welders and architects told him the windows, which were manufactured in St. Louis 100 years ago, could not be saved because they'd have to be removed in order to be restored, and that wasn't an option because of the way they were built into the structure.

"Everyone told me to rip these out and have them recreated in a factory in China," said Denenburg, who was determined to redo them in place.

He points out the curvature of the handle that cranks open the windows.

"See how beautiful this handle is? You can't find that anywhere," he said.

This guy gets it. I wish the owners of the State National Building had this kind of care for history and detail.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...