Cheek Neal Coffee Building At 2017 Preston St.

David says that his team has immediately launched work refurbishing the exterior—power washing and welding crews are out there this morning (when David took this photo for us) to bring the building back to its former glory and tells us he's replicating its original awnings and windows to a T. He's working with the historic department to line up tax credits, and is trying to get historic landmark protected status. David hasn't decided yet what they'll do with the interior—he tells us he'd really like to do a state-of-the-art boutique hotel, but they're also considering doing event space or creative offices there. David may not know what the building will be, but he's got a grand opening date in mind already—in 2017, exactly 100 years after the Cheek Neal Coffee Co Building first opened.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/mixed-use/historic-eado-building-to-be-redeveloped-48377?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 5

David says that his team has immediately launched work refurbishing the exterior—power washing and welding crews are out there this morning (when David took this photo for us) to bring the building back to its former glory and tells us he's replicating its original awnings and windows to a T. He's working with the historic department to line up tax credits, and is trying to get historic landmark protected status. David hasn't decided yet what they'll do with the interior—he tells us he'd really like to do a state-of-the-art boutique hotel, but they're also considering doing event space or creative offices there. David may not know what the building will be, but he's got a grand opening date in mind already—in 2017, exactly 100 years after the Cheek Neal Coffee Co Building first opened.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/mixed-use/historic-eado-building-to-be-redeveloped-48377?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

A boutique hotel would be amazing. Could be our equivalent of the Wythe Hotel:

http://wythehotel.com/

Wow, I thought for sure this thing was destined for the wrecking ball. It looks like it should be condemned. Fantastic news!

I'm delighted to think this building will be restored. It does look pretty rough but one of the great things about modern technology is we have very effective ways to restore 100-year-old (and older) buildings back to their original appearance. This is especially true for concrete and masonry which, of course, this building is.

In the past, every time I drove past this building I felt both hope and dread. Hope that someone would restore it and dread that no one would. It appears that hope won. Yay!  :)

I'm delighted to think this building will be restored. It does look pretty rough but one of the great things about modern technology is we have very effective ways to restore 100-year-old (and older) buildings back to their original appearance. This is especially true for concrete and masonry which, of course, this building is.

In the past, every time I drove past this building I felt both hope and dread. Hope that someone would restore it and dread that no one would. It appears that hope won. Yay!  :)

I keep thinking of the Sunset Coffee Building Restoration, which pretty much a new building. If they can keep the original brick work this will look great!

I've always thought this was a no brainer. It definitely has a nice charm to and I'm glad they are going for a full restoration. I think a good use would be a hotel as well. Its right next to the ball part and if they do plant a hotel that will motivate others to build around it. I also like the idea of studio office space.

• Like 1

I'm curious what you mean by that. I'm pretty sure I do, but go ahead and explain.

It's self explanatory. Right under 59 a block or two from this building is a hangout for a lot of crackheads. Have you ever been over there? Go to Ninfas for lunch and tell me what you see on the way.

• Like 1

It's self explanatory. Right under 59 a block or two from this building is a hangout for a lot of crackheads. Have you ever been over there? Go to Ninfas for lunch and tell me what you see on the way.

I'm accepting that response for "Ninfa's" alone. Didn't realize there were still any open. Next you're gonna tell me to go eat Casa Olé :lol:

I'm accepting that response for "Ninfa's" alone. Didn't realize there were still any open. Next you're gonna tell me to go eat Casa Olé :lol:

The original one on Navigation is still there - it's changed hands several times but is still worth the trip, being fairly representative of what it was like in its glory days. There are a couple of others around town but they just licensed the name at some point in the past and there's really nothing to distinguish them from any other Mexican restaurant. 

• Like 3

If you haven't been over to the east end and stopped by the original Ninfas on navigation you should. It's a pretty big part of houston history and it's not the same as the cheap chain restaurants around the state. It's like carrabas where the original is still decent, but the cheap chains are crap.

• Like 2