West Alabama Reconstruction

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

By Matt Dulin | 10:50 AM Jan 8, 2021 CST | Updated 4:23 PM Jan 11, 2021 CST

Construction progress is expected on these three projects in early 2021.

West Alabama Street paving and drainage

108568.jpg
A segment of West Alabama Street from Weslayan Street to Buffalo Speedway is scheduled for construction in the summer on a 16-month timeline. Bidding on the project was expected to begin in early 2021, according to Houston Public Works. The project will bring a complete road overhaul with new storm drainage, sidewalks, driveways and street lighting with water and wastewater improvements.

Cost: $15.87 million

Timeline: summer 2021-22

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

West Alabama improvements to kick off this fall

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2021/05/12/transportation-update-west-alabama-improvements-to-kick-off-this-fall/

A project is expected to be put out for construction bids by the city of Houston May 13 that involves making paving and drainage improvements to a segment of West Alabama Street between Weslayan Street and Buffalo Speedway.

The city expects to award the contract late this summer, according to Erin Jones, a public information officer with the city. Construction is expected to begin this fall, and completion is estimated for the winter of 2022. Improvements include new concrete streets with storm drainage, new curbs, sidewalks, driveways, street lighting and updates to underground utility infrastructure.

• Like 2

I take this part of W Alabama when I go to Costco. It has been torn to hell with all the projects on it and is a patch work of old and new. Of course none of them are even so this will make it better but I'm gonna have to start using Richmond now. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is going to coincide with the reconstruction of Shepherd from 59 to Westheimer. I read construction on Shepherd will continue on Jan 1st.

They are starting west and working east. But by the time they get to Shepherd, the construction on Shepherd will be finished.

These dates are way off cause nothing has happened yet.

https://www.rebuildhouston.org/documents/project_media/alabama_presentation.pdf

• Like 2

Yeah the presentation dates are off because Hurricane Harvey paused so much but this one is officially kicking off January 2022. To see so much connected walkability is a rare sight in Houston. I walked from Westheimer and Shepherd to Eastside St the other day and what a great walk. It’s amazing how much good infrastructure elevates the architecture of your city and overall aesthetic. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah the presentation dates are off because Hurricane Harvey paused so much but this one is officially kicking off January 2022. To see so much connected walkability is a rare sight in Houston. I walked from Westheimer and Shepherd to Eastside St the other day and what a great walk. It’s amazing how much good infrastructure elevates the architecture of your city and overall aesthetic. 

I know they're are plans to redo Lower Westheimer but what about Westheimer in the Highland Village River Oaks District area?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

I know they're are plans to redo Lower Westheimer but what about Westheimer in the Highland Village River Oaks District area?

Before Harvey Lower Westheimer was expected to start but with all the delays from the storm the city decided to combine the construction costs of Lower and Upper Westheimer together. So from my understanding LW is fully funded and could get built today but because it's been combined by the COH with UW, half the cost is now met so it's considered "partially funded."  It's ridiculous really. Hopefully the feds help get this fully funded again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

What is mil and overlay is that considered a complete rebuild of the street? Or just new asphalt being laid over it?

Mill and overlay is peeling off most if not all of the current surface and repaving with asphalt.  It can work pretty well IF the asphalt bonds well to the substrate, and IF the substrate is in decent shape.  It's what they're doing currently east of Weslayan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Glad they are finally doing this, but you can tell it's being done by City of Houston and not Upper Kirby because the power lines apparently aren't being buried.  Still, this will be a massive improvement.  Also glad we are still getting bike lanes for part of it, though it's a pity they couldn't continue the lanes all the way through.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...