TexasUltra

Developments on the Rice University Campus

1 hour ago, Timoric said:

Question: does Rice have an unusually large campus for such a small enrollment? Obviously the stadium is over-kill, but isn't Rice smaller than some Texas high schools and has all these buildings

At 7000+ undergraduate and postgraduate enrollment combined, plus almost 700 academic faculty and 2000+ administrative staff, I’d say Rice is significantly larger than any high school in Texas.  But, compared to other universities at its level, yes, it is on the small side.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Timoric said:

Question: does Rice have an unusually large campus for such a small enrollment? Obviously the stadium is over-kill, but isn't Rice smaller than some Texas high schools and has all these buildings

The stadium opened in 1950 and would sell out frequently when it was the only real game in town. In the mid-70's, it sold out several times for UH-A&M games, all 70,000 seats.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ross said:

The stadium opened in 1950 and would sell out frequently when it was the only real game in town. In the mid-70's, it sold out several times for UH-A&M games, all 70,000 seats.

Rice was a powerhouse in Southwest Conference football in the 50s, winning two conference championships, something that may be hard to fathom for those whose only frame of reference is the latter-day program.

Also, I suspect they sold out the stadium for Super Bowl VIII in 1974:

rawImage.jpg 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Fun Fact: JFKs, "We Choose to go to the moon" Speech was given right in the middle of Rice Stadium  

The head of NASA is visiting campus this afternoon for the dedication of a plaque at the stadium and a "next-generation moon tree" commemorating JFK's speech. Apparently there were several hundred seeds that travelled on the Apollo 14 mission, and the trees that were subsequently grown from those seeds are known as "moon trees". The one they're dedicating today originated as a cutting from one of the original trees. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

qCszuaX.jpg

Crawler crane's job is done.

NOZfBuk.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

Took this yesterday from atop the TWU 11 story parking garage.

Gz4R0FP.jpg

Edited by hindesky
edit: wrong pic.
  • Like 6

On 6/23/2019 at 2:19 PM, hindesky said:

VmVt7t3.jpg

Is this a model?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Is this a model?

It's a materials mock-up.Typically used to show the client what the final materials will look like, and the quality expected of the subcontractors doing the work.

Edited by jermh
  • Like 4

Signature Rice red brick continues to go up on the music hall.

mI7ZRLV.jpg

Glass on the Science building's north side.

aTxSRvb.jpg

• Like 9

Welcome committees on every single entrance for the students. Students and parents helping to move this years students into their dorms. The roads around the new music hall are being revamped.

0DbVT4R.jpg

• Like 9

https://www.ricethresher.org/article/2019/08/campus-construction-continues-over-summer

Construction broke ground on the new building for Sid Richardson College at the end of the summer.  According to Anzilla Gilmore, project manager for New Sid, construction should begin soon, if other construction projects remain on schedule.

“The project is expected to start on September 16, but it’s contingent on the completion of the new Will Rice Magister House project,” Gilmore said. 

According to Gilmore, issues with hot water and air conditioning in the existing Sid building were partially related to the construction on New Sid.

“We installed new chilled water and steam lines to serve new and old Sid Rich,” Gilmore said. “Old Sid was connected to the new lines because the old lines that served old Sid Rich needed to be replaced. Whether we were building the new Sid Rich or not, the lines that serve old Sid Rich would have needed to be replaced.”

According to Sid’s website, the New Sid building will have 12 levels, with the commons, magister’s house, admin space and multifunctional rooms on the first and second floors, and residential spaces on the 10 floors above.  Unlike the current Sid building, New Sid will include singles and doubles.

Gilmore said that the building should be completed by November 2020.

• Like 5

On 8/29/2019 at 6:10 AM, Urbannizer said:

The new Sid Richardson replaces this building. Don't hate me Aggies it's part of Sid history.

mNvy7t7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, gclass said:

texas_longhorns.png

^^^ @hindesky why on earth would anyone DARE to "HATE" you?  you're being MUCH to hard on yourself...

I have a nephew who graduated as a Sea Aggie and a niece who is currently a junior at TAMU so I don't dislike the Aggies, except when it comes to football then I'm a UT fan.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, hindesky said:

The new Sid Richardson replaces this building. Don't hate me Aggies it's part of Sid history.

mNvy7t7.jpg

From site plan, looks like this building remains...

do we know why it would be torn down? Seems odd that both Rice Andy UH could be taking down their old residential towers instead of renovating...

i hope it stays and they renovate it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Avossos said:

From site plan, looks like this building remains...

do we know why it would be torn down? Seems odd that both Rice Andy UH could be taking down their old residential towers instead of renovating...

i hope it stays and they renovate it.

They are not currently planning to demolish old Sid - as of the beginning of this year, the thinking was that it would be repurposed as graduate student housing. 

New Sid Rich building on track for 2021 completion

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Rice University awarded grant for 'mass timber' building on campus

"Rice's proposal is for a five-story, 50,000-square-foot student housing building on its campus."

The new building at Rice would replace the existing 120-bed wing of Hanszen College. Construction is pending approval by Rice's Board of Trustees and its Buildings and Grounds subcommittee.

• Like 3

Rice approves new visual and dramatic arts building

So, Visual and Dramatic Arts will get a new building, but it seems pretty clear that they intend to remove the Media Center before construction of the new building has even been funded. Temporary relocations of the affected departments and faculty are inevitable if they opt to erect the new building on the same plot of land the Media Center currently occupies, but there's no reason to fast-track the demo until the plans are a lot farther along. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Rice University awarded grant for 'mass timber' building on campus

"Rice's proposal is for a five-story, 50,000-square-foot student housing building on its campus."

Not to crap on what seems to be an innovative method of construction, but it seems like buildings that date back no further than the 1950s/1960s are fast becoming architectural red-headed stepchildren on the Rice campus. The Rice Memorial Center, built in 1958, is slated for demolition and replacement, with only a small portion of the existing structure to remain. Sid Rich is barely outside the 1950s/1960s era, going up in 1971. And now what I assume is the "New Section" of Hanszen College, built in the mid-1950s, is on the chopping block. I suppose the trend started with old Wiess College, razed over the winter break between 2002 and 2003 after having stood since late 1949. 

I've wondered if there's a tacit age threshold before a campus building is considered untouchable - kind of the higher ed version of a historic designation. Baker College is certainly there, being one of the oldest buildings on campus and the first residence hall. And Lovett Hall goes without saying. The earliest buildings were built in the 1910s, but very few followed in the 1920s, and none as far as I can tell in the 1930s and early-to-mid 1940s (understandable, given the economic and political realities of that era). From the late 1940s on, the postwar building boom was on as the Institute grew into a University. Perhaps many of the buildings that arose during that boom have simply reached the end of their useful lifespan, but I prefer to think otherwise. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 7:36 PM, mkultra25 said:

Not to crap on what seems to be an innovative method of construction, but it seems like buildings that date back no further than the 1950s/1960s are fast becoming architectural red-headed stepchildren on the Rice campus. The Rice Memorial Center, built in 1958, is slated for demolition and replacement, with only a small portion of the existing structure to remain. Sid Rich is barely outside the 1950s/1960s era, going up in 1971. And now what I assume is the "New Section" of Hanszen College, built in the mid-1950s, is on the chopping block. I suppose the trend started with old Wiess College, razed over the winter break between 2002 and 2003 after having stood since late 1949. 

I've wondered if there's a tacit age threshold before a campus building is considered untouchable - kind of the higher ed version of a historic designation. Baker College is certainly there, being one of the oldest buildings on campus and the first residence hall. And Lovett Hall goes without saying. The earliest buildings were built in the 1910s, but very few followed in the 1920s, and none as far as I can tell in the 1930s and early-to-mid 1940s (understandable, given the economic and political realities of that era). From the late 1940s on, the postwar building boom was on as the Institute grew into a University. Perhaps many of the buildings that arose during that boom have simply reached the end of their useful lifespan, but I prefer to think otherwise. 

Sid Richardson doesn't meet any ADA regulations, as each of the elevator landings serves two floors with staircases. That makes it unsuitable for modern student housing. It's also not really suited for renovation due to the layout of the rooms and construction techniques. Wiess was demolished because it was falling apart from structural issues related to soil conditions. The RMC isn't a super usable space either, with a weird basement layout to make things worse.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ross said:

Sid Richardson doesn't meet any ADA regulations, as each of the elevator landings serves two floors with staircases. That makes it unsuitable for modern student housing. It's also not really suited for renovation due to the layout of the rooms and construction techniques. Wiess was demolished because it was falling apart from structural issues related to soil conditions. The RMC isn't a super usable space either, with a weird basement layout to make things worse.

Yeah, I forgot about ADA regulations. That is the same reason the President's office was moved from its longtime Lovett Hall location to Allen Center - it wasn't feasible to retrofit elevators to Lovett Hall, so if you wanted to see the President, you had to climb several flights of stairs. Given the notorious unreliability of Sid's elevators, if there'd been elevator landings on each floor, the decision to build a new Sid might well have been accelerated by a few years. 

That is the first I've heard about structural issues at Wiess being caused by soil conditions. I'd be interested in any additional info you have on that - was it the usual Houston curse of moisture-related swelling and shrinking of clay soil eventually causing foundation damage? Legend has it that Wiess was intended to be temporary housing from the outset, but it always seemed quite solidly constructed for temporary housing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

Yeah, I forgot about ADA regulations. That is the same reason the President's office was moved from its longtime Lovett Hall location to Allen Center - it wasn't feasible to retrofit elevators to Lovett Hall, so if you wanted to see the President, you had to climb several flights of stairs. Given the notorious unreliability of Sid's elevators, if there'd been elevator landings on each floor, the decision to build a new Sid might well have been accelerated by a few years. 

That is the first I've heard about structural issues at Wiess being caused by soil conditions. I'd be interested in any additional info you have on that - was it the usual Houston curse of moisture-related swelling and shrinking of clay soil eventually causing foundation damage? Legend has it that Wiess was intended to be temporary housing from the outset, but it always seemed quite solidly constructed for temporary housing. 

I've seen a reference to the soil issues somewhere, but can't find it. There's a reference on this page https://facilities.rice.edu/construction/the-first-100-years that says the building suffered from rapid deterioration in the 1990's, and was demolished after New Wiess was built.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 4:10 PM, Ross said:

I've seen a reference to the soil issues somewhere, but can't find it. There's a reference on this page https://facilities.rice.edu/construction/the-first-100-years that says the building suffered from rapid deterioration in the 1990's, and was demolished after New Wiess was built.

An interesting series of photos taken after Old Wiess had been vacated, prior to its demolition:

wiess college: abandoned 

• Like 2

We've heard that old Sid will be used as Graduate student housing, for as long as it remains habitable. 5-6 years was the estimate. Then it will be torn down, no plans yet for what might be built in its place. Also this building-

BfuSWWi.jpg

is the new Will Rice magister's house. The construction needs to be completed on this before construction on new Sid can begin, because old Will Rice magister's house is in the way of the new Sid construction. (I'm a parent of a current Rice student)

Edited by CraftA365
  • Like 8

On 9/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, CraftA365 said:

We've heard that old Sid will be used as Graduate student housing, for as long as it remains habitable. 5-6 years was the estimate. Then it will be torn down, no plans yet for what might be built in its place. Also this building-

BfuSWWi.jpg

is the new Will Rice magister's house. The construction needs to be completed on this before construction on new Sid can begin, because old Will Rice magister's house is in the way of the new Sid construction. (I'm a parent of a current Rice student)

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

• Like 3

On 9/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, CaptainJilliams said:

That's great and all, but someone should've told them that this year is 2019.

The topping out occurred September 26, 2018.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1