Jump to content
Urbannizer

New Garage with Retail Next to Lyric Center

Recommended Posts

Normally I'd sigh loudly about the trees... but what rocket scientist* thought that sycamores would make good street trees?  Their fall leaves are like catcher's mitts, and they drop pods that are the size and weight of softballs.

 

(*perhaps it was a rocket scientist, since it's more of a horticulturalist's job to know these things)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mollusk said:

Normally I'd sigh loudly about the trees... but what rocket scientist* thought that sycamores would make good street trees?  Their fall leaves are like catcher's mitts, and they drop pods that are the size and weight of softballs.

 

(*perhaps it was a rocket scientist, since it's more of a horticulturalist's job to know these things)

 

Sycamores are great street trees

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A number of them in the convention district (Disco Green and in front of the Toyota Center) - all in great shape. If I can recall correctly, the ones above were as well, visibly at least. I like the variety of trees Downtown. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked with a worker today about the garage, he said they finalized the exterior design just a couple weeks ago and it won't look like most parking garages, he said it will be unique and artsy. He also said there will be 2 tower cranes, 2 basement levels and 8 above grade stories high.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

600 block of Preston will be closed this weekend from 7pm Friday to midnight Sunday for installation of the tower cranes.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you see Blackmon Mooring trucks on site it can't be a good thing. Asked a worker why they were there and he said the Lyric Center building had 7 floors with water damage. I assume ruptured piping.

 

ZUm5CC8.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 2:01 PM, hindesky said:

When you see Blackmon Mooring trucks on site it can't be a good thing. Asked a worker why they were there and he said the Lyric Center building had 7 floors with water damage. I assume ruptured piping.

 

ZUm5CC8.jpg

 

Have those palms trees always been there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Looks like they have been there since 2007 at the very least.

Capture.PNG

 

I passed by a few times and never noticed. Looks good, would love to see more palm trees around the city. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2017 at 0:02 AM, TowerSpotter said:

 

I passed by a few times and never noticed. Looks good, would love to see more palm trees around the city. 

Wow me either. I pass by this all the time. Anyways I'm really happy with how dense Houston is getting. Solid development. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess this is likely to be a M-F lunchtime only development.  Would be cool if a place like this ends up being open at various times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

Guess this is likely to be a M-F lunchtime only development.  Would be cool if a place like this ends up being open at various times.

 

Looked like they had "steakhouse" in the background, which would indicate some desire for a tenant that served the dinner/weekend crowd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2017 at 5:44 PM, hindesky said:

Talked with a worker today about the garage, he said they finalized the exterior design just a couple weeks ago and it won't look like most parking garages, he said it will be unique and artsy. He also said there will be 2 tower cranes, 2 basement levels and 8 above grade stories high.

He was right, this doesn't look anything like a garage. Love it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... this is a food hall.

 

I really hope they do a good job soliciting interesting tenants and keep decent hours.

The fact that they can appeal to theater-goers, office people leaving work, bar-hoppers on Main, AND increasingly downtown (and midtown) residents should make it possible for this to be something cool. The updated rendering also gives me hope that they'll try to make this a destination.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kudos to these guys for going the extra mile, especially in the heart of the theater district. Really wish our city leaders would require basic design guidelines for parking garages in downtown. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is almost like getting a supertall. Do we realize how rare this is?

 

Should get an award for best/most underrated project of the year.

 

On the subject of garages, I'm puzzled that our 80's highrises had more land (maybe more land is bad assumption?) but did a better job with the garages. Now we have less room and developers do a crappier job. Doesn't make sense.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's gorgeous.  I hope the food hall can overcome being on the far corner of downtown, and that the Mole People won't get too blinded by sunlight and windows.  Then again, Perbacco has been packed for lunch and theater dinner for something like 25 years or more.

 

Regarding garages, the 80s highrises (actually 70s; those that delivered in the 80s were started before that) didn't necessarily build them - Pennzoil and 700 Louisiana only have three or so levels under the building.  Likewise, most of the garages that were built aren't exactly masterworks, a prime example being the giant beige whale that is Allen Center's garage right up against the freeway.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks really exciting and has "after 5PM/Weekend" potential.  With new residents in the neighborhood, major Market Square and Hines (hopefully) mixed-use developments coming, a great strategic position between Market Square Park and a redeveloped Theater District, with it's own added amenities and residents, this could become a real draw.  Markets like these in other cities do great morning, noon and night.  Awesome concept and design. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it! The design fits in with the Theatre District and I remember reading a while back that they wanted a wine lounge of some sort. The video shows a steakhouse in the corner so I'm sure this will cater to both the lunch time and after 5PM/weekend crowd.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really Subdude don't you think the monstrosity at Franklin and Milam has a sort of Omaha Beach pillbox charm to it? It is a good thing it is some distance from the USS Texas or the Texas might reflexively begin lobbing shells toward it as it did on pillboxes on June 6, 1944.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just reading the discussion of the planning of the White Oak Music Hall in that thread and a few parts of it made me think more of the garage at Franklin and Milam:

 

"That’s where I cultivated a keen interest in design and culture, and, more specifically, the relationship between architecture and the city. More often than not, the most engaging cities we visited were always the ones that had an overt interest in supporting the arts through built projects."

 

Nailed it Powers Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Really Subdude don't you think the monstrosity at Franklin and Milam has a sort of Omaha Beach pillbox charm to it? It is a good thing it is some distance from the USS Texas or the Texas might reflexively begin lobbing shells toward it as it did on pillboxes on June 6, 1944.

 

yeah... just barely out of range of the 14" guns.  Which is probably good for Market Square.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, mollusk said:

It's gorgeous.  I hope the food hall can overcome being on the far corner of downtown, and that the Mole People won't get too blinded by sunlight and windows.  Then again, Perbacco has been packed for lunch and theater dinner for something like 25 years or more.

 

Regarding garages, the 80s highrises (actually 70s; those that delivered in the 80s were started before that) didn't necessarily build them - Pennzoil and 700 Louisiana only have three or so levels under the building.  Likewise, most of the garages that were built aren't exactly masterworks, a prime example being the giant beige whale that is Allen Center's garage right up against the freeway.

 

I guessed they just didn't build any garages but I didn't know the ones underground were so small. I've seen the old downtown aerial shots with tons of parking lots, so I'm guessing they relied on those? Were there many on the west side of DT because they seemed to be mostly to be everywhere but in that NW quadrant.

 

Which leads to my assumption that today' potential tenants will simply not accept a lease without a garage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the Parking District continues to shrink in favor of buildings with even more people in them, the only two answers are either to build garages or somehow magically make the transit system more effective.  Developers only have control over one of those options.  It's probably not so much of a demand thing (after all, Pennzoil and 700 Louisiana stay pretty full even without ten story parking podiums), but an amenity to offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2017 at 8:40 AM, mollusk said:

 Likewise, most of the garages that were built aren't exactly masterworks, a prime example being the giant beige whale that is Allen Center's garage right up against the freeway.

 

But it should be acknowledged that a bunch of the "80s" (and 70s) garages were pretty well-disguised.  Heritage Plaza, 2 Shell Plaza, Texas Commerce Tower, Tenneco come to mind.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct, H...4, not all of it was prominent, eye gougingly ugly dreck... though Tenneco (AKA the Ten Ten Parking Garage) actually goes back to the 60s, IIRC, with a fitness center, etc. later fitted on top.  The late 70s / early 80s One, Two, and Shops at Houston Center also disguise their parking garages pretty nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Houston First will have as much success with the theater district revamp as they have had with the G.R.Brown Disco Green 

project. This will be a great addition to the neighborhood while adding parking and dining options for the theater district if their plans are to keep it open during the evening. Has anyone heard any more about progress on the redesign of this area?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...