IronTiger may visit Dallas soon...what to do?

Hello there! I'm planning a mini-vacation of sorts to visit the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Given that I don't have time to spend a night (so no theme parks, water parks, zoos, anything that takes up a full day), I'm wondering what exactly is there to do. I did visit downtown and its museums a few years ago (as well having a hot dog on Klyde Warren Park...), and I want to visit a Market Street supermarket (don't ask), but I also don't have a real idea of what to do otherwise. Anyone have any ideas? If you post, I can kind of give direction on what I'd like to do or not, I guess...

Waco will be on the way (that is, if I don't take 14 toward Corsicana, but there are two way roads there), and there are a couple of things I may want to check out while there (did they strip out the crossing at Loop 340 near Highway 6? is the Dr Pepper Museum closer to being done?), and I'm still deciding whether to go to Dallas-Fort Worth (which is longer) or Houston (but I've seen a lot of stuff there).

Ride the MATA streetcar from St. Paul to Cityplace/Uptown Station. Goes down McKinney Avenue, one of the streets in Dallas most densely packed with bars, restaurants, and shopping. Either take it back or ride DART back to St. Paul.

See what's playing at the Bomb Factory in Deep Ellum. Fantastic new venue with a great location.

Check out North Oak Cliff. Bishop Arts in particular.

Look in the Dallas Observer (our Houston Press) for events.

Based on what we know about you here at Haif.. I've prepared your perfect dallas vacation agenda.

Tom Thumb

Albertsons

Aldi

Burlington Coat Factory

Wisteria

Shop Big Lots

and last but not least..

Kohls

Based on what we know about you here at Haif.. I've prepared your perfect dallas vacation agenda.

Tom Thumb

Albertsons

Aldi

Burlington Coat Factory

Wisteria

Shop Big Lots

and last but not least..

Kohls

Ha ha. I do want to visit an Albertsons though. It's been like 4 years since I've been inside a live one.

Ha ha. I do want to visit an Albertsons though. It's been like 4 years since I've been inside a live one.

See..  I was spot on.

The genius loci of an Albertsons....  just not something you can find in any old Krogers.

Well..  have fun..  take lots of photos.

Dallas is boring. Skip Dallas and go to Fort Worth. Go to the Sid Richardson museum downtown (free). Check out their botanical gardens, the Kimble and Carter museums (not free). Eat at the Reata (a museum itself). 

What a fake, you guys really tickle me. LOL

No, I was really thinking about Dallas, but geographically it's a long time to drive, and I really couldn't think of what I really wanted to do. To check out Waco and visit a certain supermarket was not worth driving 7 hours in a day.

I would spend at least one night, considering the drive, and there is a lot to see and do. I spent three nights and barely had time to see Fort Worth as well.

Downtown Dallas is a great place to stay, as you can park your car and walk/ride DART. Walking around Downtown will take up at least half a day if you don't go into a museum, driving to Fort Worth and walking around will take half a day. So I guess you could do it without staying at a hotel, but the drive home and being tired would suck!

No, I was really thinking about Dallas, but geographically it's a long time to drive, and I really couldn't think of what I really wanted to do. To check out Waco and visit a certain supermarket was not worth driving 7 hours in a day.

Twin Peaks in Waco is probably is still closed anyway. 

Twin Peaks in Waco is probably is still closed anyway.

It's closed, and no, that's not what I was thinking. What I did want to do is visit family (maybe), and perhaps lamer, see if that railroad crossing at Loop 340 has been dismantled since they were tearing apart some tracks back in early April.

Yes, but that's what I did last time. And the time before that, Krispy Kreme! (A professor we were going on a conference with insisted on it)

You can get both of those in Austin for a much shorter drive. 

Seriously, though, you ought to try to stay a day or two in the dfw area.  They've got some good museums and other things to visit.  If you're going through Waco, you can stop in West and have some Czech/German food.  They used to make some really good kolaches up that way.

It was probably shut down because it's easier to ogle at big-breasted woman online

Given what happened at that particular Twin Peaks, it would be much safer online too! Twin Peaks is done at that location, corporate office pulled the franchise.

Archived