Sign in to follow this  
Triton

UH-D 2024 Master Plan

Noticed this today on my bike ride.... anyone happen to know what they are replacing this with? Another parking garage or something else?

z9JlMP5.jpg?1

• Like 4

"The One Main Faculty/Staff Garage soon will be demolished to make room for a new replacement garage, tenant space on top of that garage, and an adjoining Welcome Center. The tenant space will create a more unified one-stop student service experience on what will become an expanded 3rd floor. The Welcome Center will provide an open, inviting point-of-entry for prospective students and visitors coming to UHD."

http://skyline.uhd.edu/2013/06/27/garage-demolition-replacement-facultystaff-parking/

Edited by xsatyr
  • Like 3

"The One Main Faculty/Staff Garage soon will be demolished to make room for a new replacement garage, tenant space on top of that garage, and an adjoining Welcome Center. The tenant space will create a more unified one-stop student service experience on what will become an expanded 3rd floor. The Welcome Center will provide an open, inviting point-of-entry for prospective students and visitors coming to UHD."

http://skyline.uhd.edu/2013/06/27/garage-demolition-replacement-facultystaff-parking/

this sounds like UH main campus. I had to get a transcript recently and was surprised how little time it actually took.

I do believe they picked a bad time to do this. Fall classes start next week and it will be noisy. Perhaps during the summer sessions would have been optimal.

• Like 2

The rendering looks much better than I was expecting. The cost is ridiculous but UHD has been ranking in some serious dough for a while now. Also is that the welcoming center to the right? I assumed they would put it on the eastern side since it would be connected to the deck and next to the main offices and elevators.

Edit: I guess I should of read the article. It looks like they are moving some offices and adding some new features. I love the fact it will incorporate views of downtown!

Edited by xsatyr

Barely noticed it connects with the south deck. That's a better idea than what I originally thought they would do. I wonder how the interior will look. I was always fond of the insides for Commerce Street and Shea Street buildings.

Edited by xsatyr

I was wondering the same thing. They took down the garage fairly quickly and then did nothing. I like how uh incorporates old with the new though. Makes for a better fit.

I think that's what disappoints me with developments like capital tower. UHD developments keep up with the times but respects the historical look of the area.

noticed today that the garage has topped out... i'll try to get a picture the next time i go by (on tuesday).

16-1=15 tower cranes left downtown. UHD parking garage tower crane is coming down today. I was hoping we could make 20 tower cranes all up at one time downtown.

cZhTmY9.jpg

QfpniH9.jpg

AvV1AYc.jpg

L7UjD4K.jpg

KFwQ0B3.jpg

oGuPjTi.jpg

pOwhE5u.jpg

VSR0zOn.jpg

• Like 5

Don't worry. We'll have more coming with Residences at Market Square, Skyhouse Main, Catalyst, Convention Center Hotel

These projects should require 4 and possibly 6 tower cranes. Marquet square has a small footprint so will need only 1, 1st Skyhouse used only 1, Catalyst may need 2 and Convention Center may need 2 if everything will be built. Next crane to come down will probably be the 16 story parking garage at Polk & Louisiana.

• Like 1

What I do not get it how much flood plain do you have to leave alone for the bayou areas, all of it in this picture?

I tried to download an image of this area from photos of the flood from Tropical Storm Allison,

but they were too large. In answer to your question refresh your memory of the flooding

of these bayous by looking up images. They make it very clear how vulnerable we are here to flooding.

Just google Tropical storm Allison floods Houston and you'll get a better idea of why there

is a flood plain there.

• Like 1

bhyvrs.jpg

I thought the side was going to be more glass...

Bonus downtown shot. It's edited from my Instagram because it was titled almost 45 degrees.

e1dtsx.jpg

• Like 5

^^^ the brand new UHD mascot mural is superbly intimidating!  great illustrations hindesky... 

I am actually not sure about this one so please close if I am wrong... is this an upcoming project(s) or something already built?

Science and Technology building and also a parking garage. Is the parking garage the project that just finished with the welcome center? The locations may be wrong then...

19375131692_12e9997ba4_b.jpg

The parking garage is the building that just finished. The science and technology center has been on the books for almost 15 years now at the location on that surface lot between UHD and the post office site. It is across Milam/Travis