Port of Dallas Developments

I saw the following and it got my attention:

"...we believe the Port of Dallas will benefit international trade and will be an effective means to serve the anticipated traffic and growth of the 'All-Water Route,'" said Canal Administrator and CEO Alberto Alem

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. My research has turned up some clarification. According to the encyclopedia Wikipedia, a "Port" can be surmised as follows:

"...A port is a facility for receiving ships and transferring cargo to and from them. They are usually situated at the edge of an ocean, sea, river, or lake. Ports often have cargo-handling equipment such as cranes and forklifts for use in loading/unloading of ships, which may be provided by private interests or public bodies. Often, canneries or other processing facilities will be located very close by.

The term 'port' is used for ports that handle ocean-going vessels, and river port is used for facilities that handle river traffic. Sometimes a port on a lake or river also has access to the ocean, and is then referred to as an inland port. A fishing port is a type of port or harbor facility particularly suitable for landing and distributing fish. A dry port is a term sometimes used to describe a yard used to place containers or conventional bulk cargo, usually connected to a seaport by rail or road.

The presence of deep water in channels or berths, the provision of protection from the wind, waves and storm surges and access to intermodal transportation such as trains or trucks are critical to the functioning of seaports and river ports.

Cargo containers allow for efficient transport and distribution as each product, box and bulk cargo do not need to be loaded individually at each transportation point, making the loading and unloading process more efficient. Cargo can be sealed at point of origin, transported via intermodal transport, before being stacked and loaded on container ships. These are then ultimately opened at final point of resale or destination. This is a vital part of modern retailing Just in Time Delivery strategies..."

The following were then listed as examples:

Port of Hong Kong

Port of Houston

Port of Incheon

Port of Kaohsiung

Port Klang

Port of Long Beach

Port of Los Angeles

Port of Mumbai

Port of New York/New Jersey

Port of Rotterdam

Port of Seattle

Port of Shanghai

Port of Shenzhen

Port of Singapore

Port of South Louisiana

Port of Vancouver

Port of Vigo

Link Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port

Notice the second Port used as an example. After a time consuming analysis on said list above, I was able to determine a common attribute to all of them. Namely: they all involved water. In all cases, either a river or an ocean butted up against the port. This confirms what I have suspected all along and re-confirms what I learned in school: Ports involve some kinda' water. It was interesting that the term "dry port" was indeed ackowledge as a use of the word Port. But such a dry port was qualified like this:

"...A dry port is a term sometimes used to describe a yard used to place containers or conventional bulk cargo, usually connected to a seaport by rail or road..."

It's a Yard. Thus, it seems more appropriate that the correct terminology should therefore be "The Yard of Dallas", instead of the phrase "Port".

It's a Yard. Thus, it seems more appropriate that the correct terminology should therefore be "The Yard of Dallas", instead of the phrase "Port".

Calling anything a Port that does not have water is nothing but marketing. And Dallas is all about the marketing.

"It's mythic".

Ok...I'm trying my best to come up with a reason why this would bother certin Houstonians(2112).And my take is that Houston(2112)feels that houston 's port is one thing that they can say that they have that Dallas does not. But Since the Idea of an "inland Port" came about for Dallas,Which is totally different from Houston's "WATERBASED PORT",houstonians(2112) do not want to feel like Dallas is evening the score. But, While this is not totally like the Port of Houston It will be just as Successfull for DFW as the Port of Houston is for houston.And that is another thing that will eventually be hard to swallow for SOME Houstonians .So to be realistic about the situation I am expecting to hear more and more "indland PORT" Bashing as this thing becomes more and More Successful.Why ....Because everything succesfull in Dallas Get's bashed some kind of way.That's the only way us Dallasites know what our Great city is doing right. Houston Only bashes Ideas and projects that they feel they've been 1 up-ed on (IMO).

Ok...I'm trying my best to come up with a reason why this would bother certin Houstonians(2112).And my take is that Houston(2112)feels that houston 's port is one thing that they can say that they have that Dallas does not. But Since the Idea of an "inland Port" came about for Dallas,Which is totally different from Houston's "WATERBASED PORT",houstonians(2112) do not want to feel like Dallas is evening the score. But, While this is not totally like the Port of Houston It will be just as Successfull for DFW as the Port of Houston is for houston.And that is another thing that will eventually be hard to swallow for SOME Houstonians .So to be realistic about the situation I am expecting to hear more and more "indland PORT" Bashing as this thing becomes more and More Successful.Why ....Because everything succesfull in Dallas Get's bashed some kind of way.That's the only way us Dallasites know what our Great city is doing right. Houston Only bashes Ideas and projects that they feel they've been 1 up-ed on (IMO).

Quit getting your feelings hurt, Boi. The gripe that these guys had was calling anything a port that isn't adjacent to water. If you didn't have such thin skin, you'd have agreed that the term 'inland port' is an oxymoron, but that's what you get when politicians and developers get together. But, instead, you had to get your panties in a wad thinking that someone might not think Dallas is all that.

Truth is, everything that comes to your Port of Balch Springs :lol: will have travelled through the Port of Houston first. No one down here has a problem with that.

It will be just as Successfull for DFW as the Port of Houston is for houston.

Uh, Breaker One-Nine, this here's the Rubber Duck

You got a copy on me Pig-Pen? C'mon

Cause we gotta little ol' convoy, rockin' through the night

Yeah we gotta little ol' convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?

Come on an' join our convoy, ain't nothin' gonna git in our way

We're gonna roll this truckin' convoy, cross the USA

Convoy... Convoy...

18_wheeler.jpg

Dear Dallasboi,

Thank you for your interest in the subject. Regarding some of your thoughts on why some Houstonians would wish to point-out things that - as you say - Houston might have that Dallas does not, I would like to take this opportunity to expand on your theory and re-focus your analysis. I guess it can be said that Houston has a Port and Dallas does not. And I thank you for confirming that. So you got me there. And yes, I did point that out. So you got me again. But I thought I was merely pointing out the facts. Pointing out that something is not there is no different than pointing out that Houston has Galveston Bay next to it. I see nothing negative by explaining that Ports tend have water next to them (as a general rule). I mean, the article uses the phrase

Redscare.......Save it......You and I both know that this has been in the works for some time now, And it 's funny how all this time,up until now the developers and whoever has anything to do wit it has been calling this thing a Port,and nobody uttered a word.I do believe it was because alot of people(houstonians mostly) only veiwed this as an off the wall Idea that COULD happen in the far far distant future,in other words it wassn't a immediate threat. But since it's becoming reality so fast I think houstonians don't know what to think of it. So...they go dig up articles stating How important "The Port of Houston" is to reassure them that they have the "Bestest"port because dallas port is a yard with no water.In other words"Dallas' "Train Yard" as some will say,will never be like the port of Houston because it has no water ".Which is entirely true,but it will be just as successful or even more.

For those who are interested in just what this whole thing is.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/.../09/story6.html

Note that this is actually a project of the Port of Houston. Once the containers are unloaded, they are stored, inspected, etc. The Dallas project is merely a storage area much farther from the port than the usual areas surrounding Houston's port. Since much of the Port of Houston freight immediately is shipped to the Midwest, having this area farther away relieves congestion, allowing the POH to receive more cargo.

Note to Dallasboy: This is not a threat to Houston's port. It IS Houston's port.

For those who are interested in just what this whole thing is.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/.../09/story6.html

Note that this is actually a project of the Port of Houston. Once the containers are unloaded, they are stored, inspected, etc. The Dallas project is merely a storage area much farther from the port than the usual areas surrounding Houston's port. Since much of the Port of Houston freight immediately is shipped to the Midwest, having this area farther away relieves congestion, allowing the POH to receive more cargo.

I really do think this is good for both cities, as I said originally. It brings more vitality to both Houston and Dallas that would otherwise go outside the state.

I was merely having a little honest rivalry fun

Congrads, Dallas :wub:

2112 thank you for being so sarcastically polite. It is very soothing i might add. But ....Dallas was not the first city to get an inland port.For a matter of fact I belive the Idea was implimented overseas first.And if I'm not mistaken we are not the first city in the U.S. to impliment a project like this.I do admitt that i don't know the city off hand But I do remember a mention on another U.S. City.They were both called inland ports also. So my point is it's not like Dallas decided to call this thing a "PORT" it's just what they are called.

So my point is it's not like Dallas decided to call this thing a "PORT" it's just what they are called.

Which was the original point of this whole thread, before you blew a gasket.

BTW, there are other 'inland ports'. However, the proposed Balch Springs facility is the farthest from it's originating port, at 240 miles.

:lol::lol: Midtowncoog you are halarious :lol::lol::lol:

Which was the original point of this whole thread, before you blew a gasket.

BTW, there are other 'inland ports'. However, the proposed Balch Springs facility is the farthest from it's originating port, at 240 miles.

I would agree only if it was presented they way it should have been and not made to look as if Dallas came up with the Idea to mislead anyone to think that we had a water based port...that's all :unsure:

2112, it seems you have a big problem with the statement:

"A dry port is a term sometimes used to describe a yard used to place containers or conventional bulk cargo, usually connected to a seaport by rail or road."

Perhaps you should focus on that. Maybe you could try to make an edit to Wikipedia saying that it is less appropriate and correct to use this term this way. That seems to be your sticking point.

Or, perhaps there will be a fundamental shift in what we think of as a port? Its possible even that a dictionairy might have to be updated at some point. People don't like change though.

So, either this whole thing is a big marketing trick by Dallas, which works in well with the recurring theme on this board that Dallas is all fake and about marketing things that don't exist. Or, it might be a decent idea and help out the region and help make true on its claim 30 years ago that "The Air is our Ocean." I'm sure when people heard that 30 years ago they would have been highly skeptical if you said that in 2006 the concept will help make the it the 4th largest metro in the US.

By the way Redscare, this project (the big picture anyway) is much more than the Port of Houston. They're talking about building another Alliance for instance, which has been very popular.

Jason

Truth is, everything that comes to your Port of Balch Springs...

I'm not sure why the focus on Balch Springs? Most of the development (and indeed the first shipment) has gone, and is predicted to go other places. There are those that think Dallas should annex Wilmer + Hutchins since it already took on their whole city's school system. Indeed that's how Houston has generally operated, but I think they're fine separate. I personally would get a sense of insecurity if Hutchins decided to call this the "Port of Hutchins", but that's not going to happen so the point is moot.

Jason

Being a moderator does not exempt me from having an opinion.

If words still mean anything, a port is located by a body of water, whether natural or man-made. Therefore, otherwise land-locked cities which have access to oceans, lakes, rivers or canals can properly be referred to as ports. By that rather liberal definition, such cities as Chicago, St. Louis, Houston (maybe even Syracuse) might be considered ports.

There are other cities - wonderful cities, filled with nice people - which are not ports. They include Atlanta, Denver, Phoenix - and Dallas.

For Dallas to claim it has a port is like a dog claiming to have horns. Why? Dogs are lovable even without horns.

Reuters is reporting today that, as a condition of placing the presidential library on the SMU campus, Dallas must agree to allow Dubai Ports World to operate it's new inland port at Hutchins. "We must reward our allies in the war on terror", the president said, "and what better reward than to give our Middle Eastern allies unfettered access to the DFW Metroplex?" Mr. Bush also noted that DP World had been thoroughly investigated by White House Counsel Harriet Miers. Quoting from Ms. Miers' report, Mr. Bush stated that Dubai Ports World is "the best port operating company ever."

Image search "Port" on Google and see how many truck stops show up.

None.

And from the dictionary:

Main Entry: 1port

Pronunciation: 'pOrt, 'port

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English & Old French, from Latin portus -- more at FORD

1 : a place where ships may ride secure from storms : HAVEN

2 a : a harbor town or city where ships may take on or discharge cargo b : AIRPORT

3 : PORT OF ENTRY

An inland port in Dallas also makes since because of Dallas' geographical location and its convergence of highways (I35, I20, US75, I45, I30). Jason, you are correct, an air cargo component is in the works.

:wacko:

Yes. It's all good. Except for the part where you call it a "Port". This is essentially a very large collection of high-end truck stops, warehouses, and a train yard. The fact that it will be successful and joy will be had does not change the facts. And the facts are these: There is no body of water for over 200 miles from this collection of buildings, there will be no ships or sea vessels close by, and there is no port. These are the facts. And they are undisputed.

Regards,

"If there are no seagulls, then it's not a Port"

For Dallas to claim it has a port is like a dog claiming to have horns. Why? Dogs are lovable even without horns.

I love this sentence. I have read and re-read it. And everytime I read it I find something more to love about it.

Archived