Jump to content

Texas Tower (Block 58) By Hines, 47-Story Office Tower


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is from Sunday.     

The glass on the garage is starting to be installed.

Posted Images

  • 2 weeks later...

So the new article in the Bizjournal makes it sound like the oval room on the bottom floor is more of a building amenity than a public retail space.  Closer to Prelude coffee in 609 Main than a real retail spot. I always thought this was supposed to be part of the building’s contribution to ground floor interaction.  I am afraid this will be another spot open 8 - 5.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the bayou view is starting to take over as the best skyline view of Houston. It has all the new modern towers, along with the historic architecture. Unlike the view from Eleanor Tinsley Park, which is full of ugly outdated 80s buildings.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AnTonY said:

It looks like the bayou view is starting to take over as the best skyline view of Houston. It has all the new modern towers, along with the historic architecture. Unlike the view from Eleanor Tinsley Park, which is full of ugly outdated 80s buildings.

I wouldn't say they're ugly but the western view does sort of have a dated 80's look, where you only see an array of sleek 70's-80's buildings, whereas the northern/bayou view shows different phases of downtown's history and is more like a traditional city skyline with lots of little buildings in addition to the big ones. I personally prefer the view from due north, coming down I-45, which is kind of the best of both. The western view is still the favorite of Greater Houston Partnership-type promo stuff, since they're trying to attract businesses who want a "clean" city.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 6:48 AM, kbates2 said:

So the new article in the Bizjournal makes it sound like the oval room on the bottom floor is more of a building amenity than a public retail space.  Closer to Prelude coffee in 609 Main than a real retail spot. I always thought this was supposed to be part of the building’s contribution to ground floor interaction.  I am afraid this will be another spot open 8 - 5.

That's a really big shame. I was hoping for a nice restaurant here to admire the street and nearby buildings after dark. But look at the Allen Center, despite the reno, it's still a fortress with one entry to the restaurant after business hours. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

the ramp from 288 northbound to 59 southbound offers a really nice view.

there used to be a view coming up McKinney that I really liked before the Marriott blocked the Gulf building. you'd see the Gulf building, and both halves of the Pennzoil bracketing it, almost in perfect symmetry. of course now, even if the Marriott weren't there, we'd still have the newly finished Capitol (well, 2018, or whatever) tower blocking that shot.

anyway, the view from the bike path on WOB just north of UHD is probably my current favorite:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7718233,-95.3638978,2a,75y,186.28h,86.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKne3Xc-Vs7LT1C7dr7qDyg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DKne3Xc-Vs7LT1C7dr7qDyg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D244.84485%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

assuming the i45 realignment occurs, this will be hidden behind freeways.

and to bring it to the building in this thread... from that view, the Gulf building is now hidden behind this tower. lol. sure we can go father up that path to get closer to UHD and then we get to see the Gulf again, but part of what makes that angle good is the way the buildings architecture stands out, the BoA and Pennzoil specifically.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 6:48 AM, kbates2 said:

So the new article in the Bizjournal makes it sound like the oval room on the bottom floor is more of a building amenity than a public retail space.  Closer to Prelude coffee in 609 Main than a real retail spot. I always thought this was supposed to be part of the building’s contribution to ground floor interaction.  I am afraid this will be another spot open 8 - 5.

From the article:  “On the first floor, Texas Tower will have an oval-shaped “City Room” where workers can grab a cup of coffee or a glass of wine while watching city life as it goes on about its business downtown. Like other first-floor retail spaces in the tower, the City Room will feature 10-foot, floor-to-ceiling windows.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I wouldn't say they're ugly but the western view does sort of have a dated 80's look, where you only see an array of sleek 70's-80's buildings, whereas the northern/bayou view shows different phases of downtown's history and is more like a traditional city skyline with lots of little buildings in addition to the big ones. I personally prefer the view from due north, coming down I-45, which is kind of the best of both. The western view is still the favorite of Greater Houston Partnership-type promo stuff, since they're trying to attract businesses who want a "clean" city.

 

Yes, anywhere with a northern component allows great view of all of Houston's true density and skyline collection. The northwestern view you describe is also a good frame, especially w/ that "Be Someone" sign. I like the combination of JP Morgan Tower and TC Energy Center front - it creates a somewhat "gothic" aesthetic, and interacts well with 609 Main.

The problem I have with the western shot is how spaced out and uninspiring it makes downtown look. It hides all the interesting buildings and features (including TC Energy Center's front), and makes everything look dated and blocky. One Shell Place and Heritage Plaza had interest construction inspirations and technique, but their executions look quite boring and blocky, unfortunately. They help hold frame from the northwestern view, though.

Yet the Williams Tower is perhaps my favorite building in all of Houston, despite that also being built in the 80s. It still stands out as quite modern even in today's context. The narrowness of the tower probably assists in making it look sleek.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

“where workers can grab a cup of coffee or a glass of wine while watching city life as it goes on about its business downtown”

Yeah that’s not what I was hoping for at all.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Yes, anywhere with a northern component allows great view of all of Houston's true density and skyline collection. The northwestern view you describe is also a good frame, especially w/ that "Be Someone" sign. I like the combination of JP Morgan Tower and TC Energy Center front - it creates a somewhat "gothic" aesthetic, and interacts well with 609 Main.

The problem I have with the western shot is how spaced out and uninspiring it makes downtown look. It hides all the interesting buildings and features (including TC Energy Center's front), and makes everything look dated and blocky. One Shell Place and Heritage Plaza had interest construction inspirations and technique, but their executions look quite boring and blocky, unfortunately. They help hold frame from the northwestern view, though.

Yet the Williams Tower is perhaps my favorite building in all of Houston, despite that also being built in the 80s. It still stands out as quite modern even in today's context. The narrowness of the tower probably assists in making it look sleek.

I agree with everything you said, except that the "northwestern" view we both like is really due north; if you were actually to the northwest of downtown, you would be looking at Heritage Plaza, etc. straight on and it would have the dull, spaced out look that you're talking about. 

 

Edited by H-Town Man
Link to post
Share on other sites

Taken from Roy St. in the lower Heights by reddit u/Odlavso. Apparently a truck carrying luxury cars got high centered on the tracks and a train t-boned the trailer. Traffic is supposed to really bad in the area.

104vfop.jpg

ZHcySPG.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

The real problem with this structure is that the fins should be angled higher and the overall height should be tripled. 

 

Tower-of-Sauron.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It's insane that the Burj dwarfs the Eiffel tower by that much.

 

I didn't realize the Eiffel tower was the tallest structure in the world (until surpassed by the Chrysler Building), for whatever reason, I assumed it was shorter than it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...