democide

Texas Tower (Block 58) by Hines, 47-Story Office Tower

I just realized those furred out balcony-like sections on both long sides of the building are actually “off-set”, meaning not centered or symmetrical with each other. I think this makes the building more architecturally appealing. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, hindesky said:

ml0Hx7E.jpg

Great perspective from the north side. Does anyone know how many floors are left to construct?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, danielsonr said:

Great perspective from the north side. Does anyone know how many floors are left to construct?

It looks like about 20 or so floors left to go up

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if this will be the 'Heritage Plaza' of today's times--as in the last major office skyscraper downtown for the forseeable future. With the pandemic and so many people working from home, it seems things may 'never' go back to normal and many people will continue working from home. It was a forced experiment that seems to have worked in that people working from their living rooms are equally, if not more, productive than when at the office. Translation: no need for abundant office space. 

I'm only talking office skyscrapers, not condo or apartment towers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wxman said:

I wonder if this will be the 'Heritage Plaza' of today's times--as in the last major office skyscraper downtown for the forseeable future. With the pandemic and so many people working from home, it seems things may 'never' go back to normal and many people will continue working from home. It was a forced experiment that seems to have worked in that people working from their living rooms are equally, if not more, productive than when at the office. Translation: no need for abundant office space. 

Highly doubt it. My company is having everyone come back to office 500+ employees.

Working from home while nice is less productive than office work.

Trust me haha so many distractions

• Like 7

2 hours ago, enriquewx91 said:

Highly doubt it. My company is having everyone come back to office 500+ employees.

Working from home while nice is less productive than office work.

Trust me haha so many distractions

For you it may be more distracting and less productive, but for many it is more productive to work from home. Not as many chatty Cathy/talky Ted types interrupting all day.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2020 at 10:11 AM, wxman said:

On the flip side  employers may actually need more space as open concept may be on the latest victim of Covid 19. I think one way or the other it is all conjecture. The overall effect will probably land somewhere in the middle like it always does. 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 4

I was at Buffalo Bayou Park this past weekend and noticed just how prominent this tower is starting to become in the skyline. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

On the flip side  employers made actually need more space as open concept may be on the latest victim of Covid 19. I think one way or the other it is all conjecture. The overall effect will probably land somewhere in the middle like it always does. 

I didnt even think about that. Oh how I loath open floor cube concepts. 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 10:11 AM, wxman said:

Good point.. I had wondered about all the people successfully working from home and hoped more companies might go to telecommuting where it makes sense. The traffic, or lack thereof during quarantine was amazing. Plus the environmental/monetary benefits of working from home..

And yeah, as we head into the biggest recession since the Great Depression (I guess they’re going to have to come up with a new name for the Great Recession), it’s likely this will be the last major tower we see for some time..

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

I didnt even think about that. Oh how I loath open floor cube concepts. 

I am the opposite. I'd rather be in a cube than open concept.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jermh said:

Texas Tower Construction 5-11-2020

I had forgotten that I took this about 2 weeks ago. I'm a newbie when it comes to wide angle stuff / compositing.

This is cool how you straightened the vertical lines, although it causes the lower buildings to tilt out a little bit. Interesting to see what can be done. Of course the way to really get everything looking vertical and natural is to use a large format camera, like in the Story Sloane Gallery photos where they used an 8x10 camera.

• Like 3

As much as I love this tower and the view it's going to have from Minute Maid Park, I'm really gonna miss the view of 609 Main coming in from 45 North.

Not a bad replacement, but still...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

What was this lot before, I forgot already? lol

Houston Chronicle building 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hindesky said:

Houston Chronicle building 

Thought so. Damn I remember being devastated when that was torn down. Not anymore lol

• Like 4

I’m so curious to know what this will look like at night. I hope the lighting is more impactful than 609 Main. 

• Like 4

Brijonmang can even make the least loved buildings in Houston look beautiful. Brijonmang, you are a terrific photographer and I really enjoy looking at your work. Thank you for sharing it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

What is going on with the parking lot next to the ballerina school? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, keaton said:

I believe (I'm just counting out my window 😄)  they are finishing the concrete on 28 and beginning on 29.

I'm getting about the same. 19 more floors to go? I forget if this tower is 47 flors or 48. I always round up and call it 50 to my peeps.

Ok - just opened my eyes I guess. Thread says 47... 😵

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 5

With the illuminated crown, I always round to 50 as well. But if you think about it, the mechanical floor and crown add the illusion of another 4 floors, so this sucker is actually 51 “stories” tall!

• Like 6