Jump to content
democide

Texas Tower (Block 58) by Hines, 47-Story Office Tower

Recommended Posts

I'm consistently impressed at how quickly this project is coming out of the ground. It's the one I'm looking forward to most, for somewhat personal reasons, when I get back in town in a month. 

 

It was actually the last project I wanted to shoot before leaving last January - the last time I was in the area. A blowout on one of my tires put those plans on hold as my family needed to get back on the road and were already running late. Needless to say, I am eager to see how this and everything else is panning out. Already looking forward to a couple of days of just shooting around town, mixed in with time with relatives. Soon enough!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how this tower has a certain kind of symettry and theme, like the older 1980s towers near it. Houston's skyline is very recognizable and this contributes positively to that.

 

I really dislike the current trend in architecture where a lot of buildings are goofy jenga stacks of glass blocks with a weird oversized podium. Those buildings don't look like anything, they are just noise. To make matters worse, that style is associated with the dubious under-occupied condo towers for the foreign mega-rich to hoard or launder their money in cities like Melbourne, Vancouver, etc which often don't have a real economic foundation to justify their levels of real estate investment.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, adr said:

49286977188_5634eb0863_h.jpg

 

Hines is busy.  Crane going up on their residential project across the street.

With all the Gerald Hines buildings in Downtown Houston  perhaps it should be named Hineston.

 

Hineston in Houston.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a client in real estate the other day mention that he can't remember the last time there were so many cranes within the 610 loop. He said mayyyyybe 06-07. Then we joked that its still 5 cranes less than Austin at any given time. 

 

As a younger person who remembers old DT and old 3rd ward, these pictures are nuts. Thank y'all for them. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, X.R. said:

Had a client in real estate the other day mention that he can't remember the last time there were so many cranes within the 610 loop. He said mayyyyybe 06-07. Then we joked that its still 5 cranes less than Austin at any given time. 

 

As a younger person who remembers old DT and old 3rd ward, these pictures are nuts. Thank y'all for them. 

It's like Houston is building a whole new city with better walkability and transit. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are they doing a floor and a half/week now? This beauty is gonna be topped out in no time, can't wait to see that glorious crown light up. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, X.R. said:

Had a client in real estate the other day mention that he can't remember the last time there were so many cranes within the 610 loop. He said mayyyyybe 06-07. Then we joked that its still 5 cranes less than Austin at any given time. 

 

2015-2017 there were more here. And more than in Austin.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's starting to peak out above the lower skyline... I'll try to get a picture today or after the storms

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, enriquewx91 said:

Ugh I love it! I want it done already!

I hope they light up this building like an H at night

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 3:49 AM, monarch said:

block-58_rendering_exterior_hero_hresgif

^^^ just a badly needed reminder...

 

that's awesome that there will be a rooftop park visible from my office. green the place up a bit.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

DLA Piper signed a lease for the entire 38th floor.  40% leased now.

 

every little bit counts...

 

@CREguy13 If you were to guess, what is the most likely downtown office to start construction - Houston Center 6, or 1 Market Square / International Tower...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Avossos said:

 

every little bit counts...

 

@CREguy13 If you were to guess, what is the most likely downtown office to start construction - Houston Center 6, or 1 Market Square / International Tower...

 

... OR... another new Hines tower.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 5:10 PM, X.R. said:

Had a client in real estate the other day mention that he can't remember the last time there were so many cranes within the 610 loop. He said mayyyyybe 06-07. Then we joked that its still 5 cranes less than Austin at any given time. 

 

As a younger person who remembers old DT and old 3rd ward, these pictures are nuts. Thank y'all for them. 

 

On 1/9/2020 at 9:52 AM, H-Town Man said:

 

2015-2017 there were more here. And more than in Austin.

 

 

Indeed.  It's actually probably not even close.  That is, Houston has had far more high rise construction than Austin.  I just did a quick check on Emporis for Houston and Austin high-rises ( stopped at 150') completed since 2010 or currently under construction.  Houston had 84.  Austin had about 37.

 

(On a side note; this is one of my pet peeves about Houstonians; they are so eager to go out of their way to diminish and disregard what their city has accomplished and is accomplishing.)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

 

 

Indeed.  It's actually probably not even close.  That is, Houston has had far more high rise construction than Austin.  I just did a quick check on Emporis for Houston and Austin high-rises ( stopped at 150') completed since 2010 or currently under construction.  Houston had 84.  Austin had about 37.

 

(On a side note; this is one of my pet peeves about Houstonians; they are so eager to go out of their way to diminish and disregard what their city has accomplished and is accomplishing.)

 

Maybe not all at once like in some periods, but year after year its been crazy consistent. Consistently high. They also don't seem all bundled up like they used too when booms would match oil prices. Instead its been a pretty steady. As soon as one is about to take a crane down, another one is about to go up. I rather have that kind of consistency that has more stability than the fun boom times with crash that we know comes afterwards.

 

EDIT: From what I seen plotting on the development map this seems to indicate this as well. 2020 looks be a crazy year where a bunch will finish out (cranes down) while the next cycle gets ready to hit the ground running (cranes up). Most buildings are 2 year cycles. Most of the cranes down this year started in 2018, when things were starting to tick back up again, and aiming for 2020 completion. The next cycle is 2020-2022.

Edited by Luminare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

6 Houston has been dead quiet. Very little substance there for several years.

 

My money would be on 1 Market Square.  There is a huge shift to this part of downtown by the tenants these new buildings are trying to attract.  There was rumor of the Developer being in negotiations with a couple large tenants last year that would have met the pre-leasing requirement to start construction - I believe around 2024.  I am not sure of the current status, but as Texas Tower continues to fill up the availability for trophy Class A space considerably decreases.  I would not be surprised if more information came out later this year and this project broke ground in the next 12 - 18 months.  Just my opinion.

 

Thanks for the thoughts.   Any thoughts on the Bank of the Southwest block?  That bloc really needs a supertall... or to be turned into a beautiful and functional public square.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

 

Indeed.  It's actually probably not even close.  That is, Houston has had far more high rise construction than Austin.  I just did a quick check on Emporis for Houston and Austin high-rises ( stopped at 150') completed since 2010 or currently under construction.  Houston had 84.  Austin had about 37.

 

(On a side note; this is one of my pet peeves about Houstonians; they are so eager to go out of their way to diminish and disregard what their city has accomplished and is accomplishing.)

 

I think it sometimes appears that Austin has more because they are all concentrated downtown, since Austin zoning doesn't allow them to be built anywhere else. Whereas many of Houston's highrises are built with retirees in mind and located in some leafy neighborhood where it stares down on swimming pools and picket fences.

 

Yes, we know this about you. 🙂

 

19 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

6 Houston has been dead quiet. Very little substance there for several years.

 

My money would be on 1 Market Square.  There is a huge shift to this part of downtown by the tenants these new buildings are trying to attract.  There was rumor of the Developer being in negotiations with a couple large tenants last year that would have met the pre-leasing requirement to start construction - I believe around 2024.  I am not sure of the current status, but as Texas Tower continues to fill up the availability for trophy Class A space considerably decreases.  I would not be surprised if more information came out later this year and this project broke ground in the next 12 - 18 months.  Just my opinion.

 

If they are still planning to build pure office using the same design from 2013, they certainly win the award for stubbornness. That location screams for hotel and residential components, in addition to office.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ @TheSirDingle cool illustrations!  this edifice seems to be an absolute "monster" as you have so indicated.  simply stunning... wow!

Edited by monarch
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great photos, but where are the sky atria? The third photo's is especially good. Love the look of density.

Edited by Twinsanity02
additional thought
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dakota79 said:

Both Hines Buildings from above.

hines January 2020.jpg

This will be a great vantage point over the next 12 - 18 months!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...