Jump to content
democide

Texas Tower (Block 58) by Hines, 47-Story Office Tower

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

The renderings from the North west make it look taller, but take a look at the renderings from Minute Maid Park, it appears shorter. I think that is a better comparison shot since the two buildings are relatively "straight on" from the ball park. Whereas from the North West, its a little more perspective insofar that the new building is "closer to the camera"

 

All of this is arguing semantics since were not sure how closely the rendering is modeled with "realty" But my personal opinion is that this building will be relatively close in height to 609 Main.

 

 

Edit: I could be wrong though, The view from Minute maid would also have 609 main "2 blocks closer" so the same perspective issue could apply. 

The height should not be determined by looking at a rendering. Perspective makes the closest object or building appear larger than it might be to objects that are farther away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk if it’s been mentioned but it looks like a really large ‘H’ which is cool for so many reasons (well 2 but I’m sure y’all can come up with more)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Triton said:

Might just be one tower with different design elements but it's definitely not one market square. They're not going to market a competitor. 

 

Good point that they're not going to market for a competitor.

 

But it seems to me that it's two buildings because if that's one building it wouldn't fit on the footprint they're building it on, it's too wide to be just one building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, lockmat said:

 

Good point that they're not going to market for a competitor.

 

But it seems to me that it's two buildings because if that's one building it wouldn't fit on the footprint they're building it on, it's too wide to be just one building.

 

I agree... but it’s definitely 1MS unless someone’s planning to build on market square park (not happening)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) the building is 735’ tall.

 

2) the rendering on the left is Block 42 residential (it’s one building not two).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ No Plans to do that.  The Hines Residential Building will take the place of the Parking Garage on the other half of the block. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Timoric said:

Be interesting to see this pic with the building that has just the garage portion built across the street, that would be nice to get out of the ground too.

I don't understand the rendering where it appears as though one of the top office levels of this building is taller than the peak of 609 Main. A previous post above mine states this building will be 735 feet tall while 609 Main is actually a taller building at 756 feet.

Edited by wxman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

This looks great. But I do have to ask, can the Houston office market absorb this? isnt downtown sitting at like 25 percent vacancy? 

 

Downtown is at about 17.5%vacancy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

The renderings from the North west make it look taller, but take a look at the renderings from Minute Maid Park, it appears shorter. I think that is a better comparison shot since the two buildings are relatively "straight on" from the ball park. Whereas from the North West, its a little more perspective insofar that the new building is "closer to the camera"

 

All of this is arguing semantics since were not sure how closely the rendering is modeled with "realty" But my personal opinion is that this building will be relatively close in height to 609 Main.

 

 

Edit: I could be wrong though, The view from Minute maid would also have 609 main "2 blocks closer" so the same perspective issue could apply. 

 

19 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

 

From this image you can see the atrium levels are about the same height as 609 Main's crown.

 

42772949114_08e4a9faed_h.jpg

 

Here it appears taller as well.

 

 

I think this image is the most "true" when it comes to height.  It's basically a dead on look across at 609.  Hard to say it will be taller because you can't see the crown in this render but it looks like it will be pretty darn close one way or the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PAC said:

1) the building is 735’ tall.

 

2) the rendering on the left is Block 42 residential (it’s one building not two).  

 

2 hours ago, pm91 said:

Really hope they're not demolishing Hogg Palace on Block 42

 

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

^^ No Plans to do that.  The Hines Residential Building will take the place of the Parking Garage on the other half of the block. 

 

If that's one building, there's no way Hogg Place survives. It's way too wide to only fit on the garage footprint.

 

It looks to be L-shaped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hogg Palace Lofts is 100% staying. Hines doesn't even own that portion of the property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Triton said:

Hogg Palace Lofts is 100% staying. Hines doesn't even own that portion of the property.

 

Then something is wrong with that rendering. There's no way that building is fitting on the garage footprint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lockmat said:

 

Then something is wrong with that rendering. There's no way that building is fitting on the garage footprint.

 

I am convinced it is 1MQ because of that curved side that goes into the fin in their proposal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lockmat said:

 

m653pZP_PEvws2pea75iAKAFPQTyZhhSJN65Y4bKlj7bZiPLjLXpG6Y4q0vXfVxuGdAhCWNPov4=w284-h437-no

 

eXVMxtQOukdv1MoOdpO7lOzuKfZolydcdphdmrqaAPb4sJNrJdiXBEWrkTPfkyXFq-Bxaq4Z4mY=w328-h325-no

 

As you can see, Calpine and the garage are about the same width.

 

Portion #1 in the top rendering is about the same width as Calpine. #1 & #2 combined are without a doubt wider than Calpine. What this concludes, I don't know. Could just be the worst scaled rendering of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Avossos said:

 

I am convinced it is 1MQ because of that curved side that goes into the fin in their proposal.

 

Its not. The curve on One Market Square is planned to face west/north west. The curve on that rendering is the southwest corner of the building.

That must be the “twisting balcony” design element that I was told about. Admittedly I’m a bit underwhelmed with it, but I’m sure once we get more info and detailed renderings it will look better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would Hines render someone else's project - I promise you its the Block 42 development only.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PAC said:

Why would Hines render someone else's project - I promise you its the Block 42 development only.  

 

20 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

 

 

 

41682248490_74cb4340b2_h.jpg

 

 

 

Then I'm voting it the worst scaled rendering of all time. Because the office tower is only showing to be about 13 stories shorter than Chase and it's right across the street so there is no distance distortion.

Edited by lockmat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lockmat said:

 

eXVMxtQOukdv1MoOdpO7lOzuKfZolydcdphdmrqaAPb4sJNrJdiXBEWrkTPfkyXFq-Bxaq4Z4mY=w328-h325-no

 

As you can see, Calpine and the garage are about the same width.

 

Portion #1 in the top rendering is about the same width as Calpine. #1 & #2 combined are without a doubt wider than Calpine. What this concludes, I don't know. Could just be the worst scaled rendering of all time.

 

I think the walls with different materials/depths are tricking people’s eyes. I think it’s basically a rectangle following the existing garage footprint, but with the southwest corner “sliced off”, for a pool area/amenity deck I’m sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lockmat, your illustration with the numbers 1 & 2 drawn on it are of the San Franciso tower that Pelli has just designed. They have nothing to do with our skyline.

In the aerial view above with the red lines it depicts the 1/2 block that is adjacent to the Hogg Palace, which is not coming down.

This is the site for  proposed high rise tower that we have no illustrations for yet. The new Pelli tower is on the old Chronicle block which 

is a full sized block. The new tower by Pelli, is turned 45 degrees on the lot so that it has more interesting views. It will sit on a base that will be configured on the block like a normal podium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It grew since yesterday, got flatter and the building on block 42 appeared out of nowhere.

 

 

 

98CAFEAC-9786-43D8-B9AA-1274CF69A725.thumb.jpeg.b43cd117ad34b560a6c2ca6502f60f3c.jpg.f8e77b30037e2b4127ff13c723ecbdb0.jpg

Yesterday

 

 

5b50c0687b676_image(9).thumb.jpg.7481e9188c46ce91d66a7f226321eb28.jpg

Today.

Edited by Reporter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, blakevirgilio said:

Here are more images:

image (1).jpg

image (2).jpg

image (3).jpg

image (4).jpg

image (5).jpg

image (6).jpg

image (7).jpg

image (8).jpg

image (9).jpg

image (10).jpg

image (11).jpg

image (12).jpg

image (13).jpg

image (14).jpg

image (15).jpg

image (16).jpg

image (17).jpg

image (18).jpg

image (19).jpg

image (20).jpg

image (21).jpg

image (22).jpg

image (23).jpg

image (24).jpg

image.jpg

Block 42 building only solidifies the need for a big brand grocery store in the Market Square area. HEB you listening!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They also added another shorter glass building just to its north and behind the Hines Aries in the second rendering..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emporis lists block 42 as a residential high rise > 600 ft height . Appears as if that has changed. Are both block 58 and block 42 to be built simultaneously or a different times? The impression I have is that 58 goes first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Clever how the buildings are angled. If the International Tower is ever built it will not block the view of 58 or 42. 

Someone should do a rendering with all of them together ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobruss said:

Lockmat, your illustration with the numbers 1 & 2 drawn on it are of the San Franciso tower that Pelli has just designed. They have nothing to do with our skyline.

In the aerial view above with the red lines it depicts the 1/2 block that is adjacent to the Hogg Palace, which is not coming down.

This is the site for  proposed high rise tower that we have no illustrations for yet. The new Pelli tower is on the old Chronicle block which 

is a full sized block. The new tower by Pelli, is turned 45 degrees on the lot so that it has more interesting views. It will sit on a base that will be configured on the block like a normal podium

 

My rendering is cropped from the Hines office rendering, which is part of our skyline. Are you saying they used a building from San Francisco?

 

1 hour ago, blakevirgilio said:

Here are more image

image (22).jpg

 

 

 

 

29 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Clever how the buildings are angled. If the International Tower is ever built it will not block the view of 58 or 42. 

 

1 hour ago, cloud713 said:

 

I think the walls with different materials/depths are tricking people’s eyes. I think it’s basically a rectangle following the existing garage footprint, but with the southwest corner “sliced off”, for a pool area/amenity deck I’m sure.

 

Problem solved. That was some major mind tricks the rendering pulled off.

 

Also, I wonder if they also angled the building to protect the view of Chase? It's a Hines building, right? Covering Chase up would only lessen it's value and asking price.

Edited by lockmat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lockmat said:

 

 

Then I'm voting it the worst scaled rendering of all time. Because the office tower is only showing to be about 13 stories shorter than Chase and it's right across the street so there is no distance distortion.

There is your answer. 

5b50c07c8abed_image(22).thumb.jpg.4f1051fb646ab5448d617f2ae52a7b51.jpg

 

I think it's just a very poor rendering of the residential aspect, which so far we haven't gotten a good image of. As I said before, I think it's a residential tower on block 42 with different design elements.... Looks to be all glass on the corners as CREguy had indicated it would be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, enriquewx91 said:

Block 42 building only solidifies the need for a big brand grocery store in the Market Square area. HEB you listening!!

Might be too close to the other HEB at Buffalo Heights but I now feel like a great spot would be the Chase ATM building next to Market Square Park at the corner of Congress and Milam. They would just have to figure out the flooding aspect of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can somebody piece together a rendering of what all this will look like coming in from the North Frwy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, wxman said:

Can somebody piece together a rendering of what all this will look like coming in from the North Frwy?

it's going to look sweet! though i'm starting to think it may block part if not all of 609 Main from that vantage point as well as One Houston Center

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triton said:

Might be too close to the other HEB at Buffalo Heights but I now feel like a great spot would be the Chase ATM building next to Market Square Park at the corner of Congress and Milam. They would just have to figure out the flooding aspect of it. 

I was thinking about this location the other day.  Suppose a base parking garage with well-elevated store (thinking of the Bellaire Market on the upper levels here--once you go up, one could in theory have multiple levels of parking below the store) and comparatively small residential tower above that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reporter said:

It grew since yesterday, got flatter and the building on block 42 appeared out of nowhere.

 

 

 

 

Yesterday

 

 

5b50c0687b676_image(9).thumb.jpg.7481e9188c46ce91d66a7f226321eb28.jpg

Today.

and taller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, lockmat said:

 

There's no way. It's too far away from this new Hines office tower, it's too short and doesn't look anything like it.

 

Edit: You could be right. I think the spacing of the two Hines buildings is way off. They're diagonally across the street from one another but based on the rendering it looks like at least two blocks separates them. And unless the Hines resi building is super tall, One Market Square is much taller than what it's showing, and there is no slanted roof.

Also if you look at your numbered rendering you'll see that the crown is nothing like all of the renderings of the Hines tower so I don't know where you found that rendering but something is not right plus it seems from that view you would see the Republic bank bldg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2018 at 2:30 PM, Urbannizer said:

 

41682248490_74cb4340b2_h.jpg

 

 

 

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

Also if you look at your numbered rendering you'll see that the crown is nothing like all of the renderings of the Hines tower so I don't know where you found that rendering but something is not right plus it seems from that view you would see the Republic bank bldg. 

 

I cropped it from this rendering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

moo. Missed opportunity here. I look at what's happening in the rest of the world and wonder why Houston can't come up with a signature skyscraper for its skyline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You CANNOT get accurate height data or compare heights with a reasonable degree of accuracy from a rendering. Perspective matters too much. With the right perspective you could make a 2 story house look taller than Chase Tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked for a client once from Saudi Arabia that was obsessed with showing his structure in cities around the world to compare it’s height to landmarks. He had me place it next to the Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, etc... wasted thousands of dollars of his company’s money. The running joke around the office of course was that he was obsessed with it for anatomical inadequacies.  He was a smart man and very nice but had such a childish attitude about height of buildings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, texas911 said:

moo. Missed opportunity here. I look at what's happening in the rest of the world and wonder why Houston can't come up with a signature skyscraper for its skyline.

 

It may not be super tall, but grading on the uniqueness and sleekness of the design, I'll give it a B+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, lockmat said:

 

 

I cropped it from this rendering.

You're right. I hadn't even noticed the residential building in the first rendering I was so taken by the tower. I see what your saying.

I was hoping for a much taller high rise residential tower and I thought you were referencing theHines  tower with your rendering and couldn't figure out what was going on. Its all clear now. So it looks like the new residential tower will be a little bit taller than the Market Square high rise by a few feet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...