Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

With another company giving notice of relocating out of downtown (Enterprise Plaza), I doubt Hines erects anything on this block in the near future. However, what I would give to be a fly on the wall in their HQ to see what they have in the works. I'm sure somewhere in their offices they have sketches or renderings of what they want to build on this site.

• Like 2

I honestly believe downtown needs to bring in new forms of business. Oil has been the brand downtown but I'd like to see other types of business whether retail, real estate, etc set up shop in some of these buildings. Houston is definitely at a turning point for redefining itself. 

• Like 2

Theres one positive in these demo projects like the Skanska and now this Hines demo of the Chronicle that I find intriguing and thats the opportunity to see buildings from unobstructed angles and vistas that have never been seen before. Although the Skanska garage covers  much of the Pennzoil facade now, it still leaves quite a bit in tact. I like this short lived moment in time to see the buildings  from a new perspective.

• Like 8

On 3/17/2017 at 0:28 PM, H-Town Man said:

Initial plans for this block were scrapped after oil prices fell. Would have involved an office tower with a highly unconventional  (for Houston) use of the ground floor. That's all I think my source would want me to reveal.

Feel free to PM me and tell me everything you know :). You can't trust some folks on this board hehehe

Edited by nate4l1f3
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, wxman said:

Oil prices fell 2 years ago. If plans were scrapped then why follow through with demolition that cost millions if no plan exists for the site?

Parking revenue would be my guess. Also lower taxes and quicker start when the market turns.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

HOT TAKE ALERT.

I would like to point out that it's 8:14 PM and there are still crews out demolishing the building at this very moment in backhoes. Do you really do two shifts (presumably with hazard pay) if you don't have a deadline?  And, as a contractor, if you didn't have a deadline with your developer (Hines), wouldn't you have put in your bid that you could spend less to tear the building down if you took more time doing it?  Like "Say Hines, if you got more time, we can tear this down for cheaper which lets us put our second-shift team on another job which lets us make more money during the same stretch of time, and it costs you less, chill?"  And wouldn't Hines have said "Great idea.  We have no plans for this but to immediately turn it into a surface parking lot, sales on which we would pay tax on this a heckuva lot more than if we had a condemned building just hanging out.  I mean, look at the guys who own the Days Inn Building - they figured it out. MAD TAX SKILLS."

Am I crazy? 

UPDATE:  It is now 12:07 AM and they are still working on this.

Edited by adr
  • Like 2