democide

Texas Tower (Block 58) by Hines, 47-Story Office Tower

Is that the actual foundation for the high rise or something different?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wxman said:

I would presume so. It looks very similar to the type of structure that was placed in the base/mat section under the Hillcorp tower. 

That is the steel work coming together for the mat. The angle that this is laid out on the block, will create some nice play with the other buildings. Also the fact that there will be so many different roof lines. It will look great silhouetted against the Chase(Texas Commerce) building, and the new to be built high rise  to its west.

• Like 5

This building looks like the letter "H". Am I the only one? Can't wait till this is finish. I hope the Jones Plaza redevelopment will be complete at the time this one does.

Edited by HOUCAJUN
  • Like 8

Guess it will be called the Texas Tower until a major tenant comes on board?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Triton said:

Guess it will be called the Texas Tower until a major tenant comes on board?

Vinson & Elkins has already signed on as an anchor tenant, I think. Hines has also announced they're moving to this tower.  "Texas Tower" has a nice alliterative flow and also appeals to Texan nationalism.  This one might actually be here to stay.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Vinson & Elkins has already signed on as an anchor tenant, I think. Hines has also announced they're moving to this tower.  "Texas Tower" has a nice alliterative flow and also appeals to Texan nationalism.  This one might actually be here to stay.

...or you know because its on Texas Ave maybe? Like how they are naming their other tower as The Preston because its on Preston St.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

...or you know because its on Texas Ave maybe? Like how they are naming their other tower as The Preston because its on Preston St.

The Press Release indicated the name was due to the tower being on Texas Ave.  "Capitol Tower" was similarly named for being on Capitol St, but changed later.  My point was that the moniker "Texas Tower" might actually stick around for those other reasons.

• Like 1

The two new Hines towers are really going to transform the skyline. Coming in town from I-10 east and 45 south will look really neat.

• Like 3

Thats going to take some serious arm twisting on the leasing staffs part to get that ship to sail, anytime soon.

49 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Now where is that International Tower....come out come out wherever you are

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

Thats going to take some serious arm twisting on the leasing staffs part to get that ship to sail, anytime soon.

I hope it dies. That site should be a hotel.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, H-Town Man said:

I hope it dies. That site should be a hotel.

I actually agree with you. I think now that we are getting this one it frees up that site so much. However with the parking podium already built it will probably be that instead of something different. Hotel would be a great idea. Right next to one of the better parks in Houston.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

A massive hotel! 

I’d thought a W-branded hotel would be nice next to Market Square Park, although we’ll have one by Discovery Green. I wonder if a Conrad-branded property might work here.

Edit: Removed Double Post from Glitch.

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bobruss said:

4 hours ago, bobruss said:

Does anyone know if the demand for AA Space not Class A only will drive a few more towers. 

Higher ceilings, more modern designs. Our supply is so old now that the buildings could be the D-Day 40th anniversary soldiers at Normandy that seemed so long ago as a kid but is a timeline I can relate to now, that or being as old as the Back to Future parents and your world is like the 1950s to your kids

Edited by Timoric
  • Like 1

Anyone else not in love with this design?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lockmat said:

Even if the architecture seems more pragmatic than a design flourish, the angles and street orientation seem certain to contribute to the drama of the skyline as a whole especially seen from the northside.  Other than peering out from car windows coming into town from I-45, it's too bad there's no substantial public space to view it from the northern edge like there is for the western view.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nonenadazilch said:

Even if the architecture seems more pragmatic than a design flourish, the angles and street orientation seem certain to contribute to the drama of the skyline as a whole especially seen from the northside.  Other than peering out from car windows coming into town from I-45, it's too bad there's no substantial public space to view it from the northern edge like there is for the western view.

How about the Ravens tower at White Oak music venue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lockmat said:

The way the parking garage spreads out in the renderings makes the tower portion seem puny. I have to remind myself that this is going to be over 700 feet tall. I wasn't a big fan of the renderings for 609 Main and people on here called it "the Whataburger tower" but when it was built, it turned out better than rendered.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lockmat said:

We tend to get bigger structures that are a decade behind the design curve. So maybe not in love but rather déjà vu. It’s crisp and clean without risk. Really what we’ve been used to, the 1100 Louisiana’s, 3 Allen Center’s, First City Towers. Sure they’re not award winners, however, they still look good collectively and age very well.

Still waiting for the new generation of Pennzoils & Nations Banks. 

• Like 5

On 2/6/2019 at 8:34 PM, Montrose1100 said:

We tend to get bigger structures that are a decade behind the design curve.

While not ideal, being a decade behind the world's leading design trends puts Houston a decade ahead of most of the rest of the country.

Seattle, Los Angeles, and Chicago are going through something of a skyscraper surge right now, and the results are... merely whelming.  

Still, I'd take a rust-stained brutalist abstraction over a surface parking lot any day.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, bobruss said:

So Jones Hall will be surrounded by Hines development. Five of a kind!

Chase, Pennzoil, Republic Bank, and Calpine, along with the Texas Tower makes a Flush

This is truly a new golden age for Houston. A boom this massive hasn’t happened since the 70’s and 80’s. 

• Like 5

On 2/8/2019 at 9:09 PM, editor said:

While not ideal, being a decade behind the world's leading design trends puts Houston a decade ahead of most of the rest of the country.

Seattle, Los Angeles, and Chicago are going through something of a skyscraper surge right now, and the results are... merely whelming.  

Still, I'd take a rust-stained brutalist abstraction over a surface parking lot any day.

Welcome back!

Personally I think LA is up one level from us. Chicago is two or three floors. Although the original Vista rendering was a crime, Chicago has produced some fantastic structures.

All certainly have their share of the new international style. Post Internationalism? Where are we exactly?

• Like 1

Just now, Montrose1100 said:

Welcome back!

Personally I think LA is up one level from us. Chicago is two or three floors. Although the original Vista rendering was a crime, Chicago has produced some fantastic structures.

All certainly have their share of the new international style. Post Internationalism? Where are we exactly?

To put it straight.....its complicated.

I've often compared Post-Modernism to one with a hammer that goes around and breaks things into millions of tiny pieces....but does nothing to replace it or put it back together. The discipline of architecture, aesthetically speaking, is currently incredibly fractured. While its very interesting, and there are some unique movements in the discipline right now, there isn't exactly a "high" architecture, or one school of thought as was the case with Modernism. Don't get me wrong, there were always other subset movements that competed with Modernism, but it was the big boy in town. Post-Modernism destroyed all of that. (By the way, this is the current situation in every single field of art. Not just architecture.)

There are almost to many different movements, and numerous different classifications to mention on here. One person recently tried to corral a bunch of architects through a "political" compass diagram. Was an interesting exercise. Link below:

https://www.archdaily.com/801641/architectures-political-compass-a-taxonomy-of-emerging-architecture-in-one-diagram

I would say if you are interested in looking into the "state" of architecture today its a good place to start. The person that did this was a bit too esoteric for my tastes, but did a solid effort here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luminare said:

To put it straight.....its complicated.

I've often compared Post-Modernism to one with a hammer that goes around and breaks things into millions of tiny pieces....but does nothing to replace it or put it back together. The discipline of architecture, aesthetically speaking, is currently incredibly fractured. While its very interesting, and there are some unique movements in the discipline right now, there isn't exactly a "high" architecture, or one school of thought as was the case with Modernism. Don't get me wrong, there were always other subset movements that competed with Modernism, but it was the big boy in town. Post-Modernism destroyed all of that. (By the way, this is the current situation in every single field of art. Not just architecture.)

There are almost to many different movements, and numerous different classifications to mention on here. One person recently tried to corral a bunch of architects through a "political" compass diagram. Was an interesting exercise. Link below:

https://www.archdaily.com/801641/architectures-political-compass-a-taxonomy-of-emerging-architecture-in-one-diagram

I would say if you are interested in looking into the "state" of architecture today its a good place to start. The person that did this was a bit too esoteric for my tastes, but did a solid effort here.

All lovely and fine Lum, but is this not international design by definition? These “colorless” blue glass prisms are everywhere and interchangeable. Place this Hines tower in Denver or Chongqing and no one would be the wiser.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

All lovely and fine Lum, but is this not international design by definition? These “colorless” blue glass prisms are everywhere and interchangeable. Place this Hines tower in Denver or Chongqing and no one would be the wiser.

By definition. No.

The International Style is but a part of Modernism as a whole. The style, for it to be a style, has to adhere to all if not most of the components that make up a style. The problem comes when people conflate "Modern" with a capital M, which is a movement with ideals and specifics, with "modern" with a lower case m, which literally means something that is new or right now. Its modern because its in the now, but its not Modern in style. Most buildings built today pull elements and ideals from Post-Modern. While Modernist skyscrapers typically would have bands of continuous windows, post-modern in an effort to further abstract everything essentially said....why not make the whole facade windows. We actually have the very first post-modern building here in town and that is Pennzoil Place. Notice how it is all windows, and you can't notice the repetition of detail as its one continuous facade.

With that being said, Post-Modern is a very complicated movement that plays a lot of tricks by abstracting elements of other styles and movements in order to mimic and poke fun at. Its why right next to Pennzoil Place we have Bank of America Center which isn't all glass, but a facade with all punched in windows and Gothic themes that were completely at the whim of the designer (because that was the point of post-modernism. Everything was arbitrary and no one interpretation of something was better than the other.)

I'm more than willing to dig into this deeper if you are interested, but don't want to risk further going off topic.

To wrap this all up. Most skyscrapers today are more decedents of Post-modern rather than Modern. The all glass box is a mainstay of Post-modernism and not The International Style. If you really want to know exactly what the definition of International Style is I would look into the original MOMA exhibition held in the 1930's? that exhibit the "up and coming" Bauhaus style which was termed "The International Style". The only thing that makes this building "modern" is in the adjective used to describe it as being "new" or "in the now".

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2