Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2016 at 9:07 AM, nativehoustonion said:

That will be Hines next supertall in the future.  

I could do without another really tall building on the north and west side of Downtown.  The Chevron lot would balance things off. 

The block bounded by Rusk, Caroline,  walker and San Jacinto is another good candidate.  It would stretch the height east without sticking out too much as that monkey wrench building is only about 2 blocks away, and 609 Main is nearby too. This block is also on the rail, about a half stop from the east bound central station. Is this the future Houston Center 6 block? If so it would be nice to get showing more spectacular on the rail. 

Rusk, Labranch, Austin and walker would make a good mixed use building.  It would be near the other new residential buildings to the north, on the fringe of the convention district and it's hotels to the east and south, and all the commercial buildings to the west. A fancy hotel with a residential and commercial space would be great for that area.

There are about 6 lots between discovery green and Root square that are ripe for development.  This is where I always dreamed a Ritz hotel would pop up. It would ruin the view from the Hilton pool deck, but that's life. Those 6 blocks, 4 of which front Dallas could develop into something that gives pedestrian life to downtown. It's on the proposed retail strip, it is near Green Street, it is Near Hilton, 4 seasons, Alessandra,  embassy suites, park place, Marlowe, Future Camden development,  and Of course book ended by DG and Root Square.

Finally,  there is still the Bank of the SW tower site. There are tall buildings all around which would make a super tall not stick out like a sore thumb.  

So,  the Hines chronicle site I am not really  concerned about a super tall going up there.  Give me some more buildings like Aris on that Block and on the neighboring International tower block and I will be happy.

Lots of potential on the East side of town. Houston has been a tall city for decades, i am loving the residential and retail initiatives and the interest in parks, art and out door uses. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little background for those unfamiliar with this subject: the owners, Hearst, then Hines, have obtained a permit for the demolition of the structure; however, Linbeck, who owns the property north of the building is pushing for a halt, citing contractual conflict. Does anyone have the latest update on this?

• Like 1

Here's the existing thread on the matter. 

Linbeck was able to move forward with plans for their site. A temporary injunction was given therefore Hines must keep the tunnel connection protected as they demolish the former Chron building.

• Like 3

Actually kinda liked this building, I don't know why, but there was something appealing about the super-reflective glass and that faux-marble looking material. I can't say I won't miss it. As a younger Houstonian, this will go down as one of the first buildings that I will ever truly remember about after it's gone. You will be missed, old Chronicle Building, you will be missed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Kind of strange that they wouldn't leave the garage and earn some parking revenue until the next tower is a go..?

I think it'd be more convenient for them to just take it down now and charge for surface parking or even follow suit with the Capitol Tower and Theater Square sites by earning revenue with a new garage until the office market heats up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 6:30 AM, UtterlyUrban said:

I am hopeful that by taking this building down in this manner that they have been able to salvage much of the exterior details.  That would be great, of so.  Perhaps there is a new building going up somewhere in the world with lots of stone on its facade from this building?

The stuff up high looked like some kind of metal panel painted or vinyl covered to look like marble. The stuff on the bottom may be actual stone though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...