Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amy, did you live in that unit during the demolition of the Houston Club?  They took that building down with a wrecking ball and would run into the am hours.  I was in unit 713 at the time and pretty close to where it appears your unit is.  With white noise machines you can cover a lot of it up.

11 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

@ the annoyed neighbor, Amy.

Another option is ear plugs, or white noise. I bought earplugs but thankfully I never had to use them.  Good luck

Thanks, ekdrm2d1. I've been an ear plug wearer from years in NYC and Philly. I find it ironic that I'm in Houston now with the loudest noise. If I could escape to an office it would be great, but I've got the "perk" of working from home.  ;)  I'll have to ask the construction guys what they wear...

7 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Amy, when they took down the Macy’s building, my office was across the street.  Before construction started going vertical, they needed to jackhammer something. Seems like it went on for a couple months........

Thank you! That's good to know. I can take a couple of months. That jackhammering demolition of the Chronicle building was unreal, lasted almost a year? I know the vertical will be noisy too, but it'll have to be better than the non-stop pummeling. Here's some weekend work/excavation–

IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_2946.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Amy, did you live in that unit during the demolition of the Houston Club?  They took that building down with a wrecking ball and would run into the am hours.  I was in unit 713 at the time and pretty close to where it appears your unit is.  With white noise machines you can cover a lot of it up.

No, I lived in Franklin Lofts during that time. Ugh, that had to have been tough as well! But they did implode it, right? I had the joy of the Chronicle demolition - do you or does anyone know why the Chronicle wasn't imploded? I prayed nightly for it... my thought was they couldn't do it because of potential damage to the Rice (Historic Registry)?

1 hour ago, kbates2 said:

They imploded part of the Houston Club but took the rest down slowly with a wrecking ball starting at like 9 pm each night.

Seems like it was the parking garage portion that they took down bit by bit. Perhaps it is more difficult to implode a parking garage? If so, that would mean a slow start to the Block 42 tower.

It was the northeast corner that came down the slowest.  If I remember correctly, it was due to a problem during the implosion.  This corner held up to the implosion and posed a safety risk thus requiring the wrecking ball.  As downtown residency was still below 4K, they did everything after business hours.

Getting rid of old foundation to lay the new will be over relatively quickly.

Once construction starts on the new building the most annoying noise will be the guy blowing the whistle for the benefit of the construction workers when the crane has a load. Whether you hear that or not depends on where the whistle guy is. 

Beyond that, construction vehicles, lane closure, and street closure is the most annoying part you'll have to live with.

2 hours ago, samagon said:

Getting rid of old foundation to lay the new will be over relatively quickly.

Once construction starts on the new building the most annoying noise will be the guy blowing the whistle for the benefit of the construction workers when the crane has a load. Whether you hear that or not depends on where the whistle guy is. 

Beyond that, construction vehicles, lane closure, and street closure is the most annoying part you'll have to live with.

Thank you for the insight! 

22 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

How was your week? Did you try the white noise?

I enjoy neighbors commenting on these developments. Gives another aspect of the build.

The construction symphony goes on! It's now becoming its own white noise ;). I'm grateful it stops at 5pm, but it makes a tough work day when you work from home... not grateful, however, that it starts up at 7:30am on a Saturday. Even through ear plugs it's my alarm. It took a day break this past Sunday - I wondered why it was quiet – "is it a holiday??" No, it was Theater District Day. And there can't be dust and noise on that day. Kind of like when the demo on the Chronicle stopped during Super Bowl Week. It's progress in front of residents; unsightly and noisy in front of visitors. Enjoy the pics from the end of the week! (taken 8/31)

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 8:16 PM, rechlin said:

AmyP, if that is the view from your apartment, I'd be willing to decommission one of my web cams (here: http://webcam.rechlin.net/garage/) for you to to setup to allow us to monitor the construction progress, if you are willing.

These pics are from the top of the parking garage. I get all the joy of hearing it but not seeing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...