Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

3 hours ago, Vy65 said:

Just out of curiosity, where do you draw the line between first and second tier markets?

First tier markets, or "core markets" or "gateway cities for capital," would be NY, SF, DC, LA, Chicago, and probably Boston. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta are right at the top of second tier, but you do not have the same pool of money looking to buy anything and everything here. Although we have started to get interest from foreign buyers who were previously only associated with the coastal cities.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

This really will be a special project and a ground floor unlike anything existing in Houston currently.  Hines is also renovating the ground floor of 717 Texas and their plan is to make it a seamless transition between 717 Texas, Block 58, and Block 42 so they all will complement one another's ground floor experience.

Will these be designed to cater to more than the standard weekday/office crowd? With the redesign of Jones Plaza and longterm theater district plan, I’m curious as to whether Hines might be looking at this area for weekend festival/theater-going traffic. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

First tier markets, or "core markets" or "gateway cities for capital," would be NY, SF, DC, LA, Chicago, and probably Boston. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta are right at the top of second tier, but you do not have the same pool of money looking to buy anything and everything here. Although we have started to get interest from foreign buyers who were previously only associated with the coastal cities.

Fair enough. So it’s not to say that Houston can’t become “first tier,” it’s just a matter of whether the city can begin to attract enough foreign/global investment to be considered a gateway. 

Cursorily looking through CBRE’s materials on this, I find it interesting their cities are limited to the coasts. You’d think Houston or Dallas would crack that list in the next 5-10 years considering market dynamics on the coasts.

There is a lot of money around the world chasing real estate to have something of value in a jurisdiction where it can not be easily confiscated from you.   There are 25,000 empty homes in Vancouver, BC by some counts.  People owning that sort of property don't pick cities for the reason that most of us picked Houston (access to good jobs).  South Florida seems to be the best analog to Houston climate/geography wise, and it's obviously a different ball game over there. 

1 hour ago, mollusk said:

Houston's not a coastal city?  What's that thing down the Gulf Freeway - an overly ambitious puddle?

I don't want to ruin anyone's morning, but when real estate investors talk about "the coasts," they're not talking about the Gulf Coast. Although I think it's a very fine coast.

11 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I don't want to ruin anyone's morning, but when real estate investors talk about "the coasts," they're not talking about the Gulf Coast. Although I think it's a very fine coast.

image.png.3da5498d96707ee5d3303127333bafe1.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just read  a story in today's Chronicle bus. section, front page, about the upswing in interest the Japanes have in Houston business, manufacturing and other types of investments.

This is a perfect example of what I just alluded to in my previous post. They're coming. We have made some wise decisions in the past decade and they're beginning to bear  fruit.

I believe one of the largest air conditioning manufacturing plants in the U.S began operating  this last year all under one roof, in far west Harris  or  Waller county.  

It all adds up.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bobruss said:

I just read  a story in today's Chronicle bus. section, front page, about the upswing in interest the Japanes have in Houston business, manufacturing and other types of investments.

This is a perfect example of what I just alluded to in my previous post. They're coming. We have made some wise decisions in the past decade and they're beginning to bear  fruit.

I believe one of the largest air conditioning manufacturing plants in the U.S began operating  this last year all under one roof, in far west Harris  or  Waller county.  

It all adds up.

Plus I've been seeing the national media give our city a fair shake finally! They are seeing how great of a city Houston is. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bobruss said:

It all adds up.

Do you have a link? I have heard similar about Japanese real estate buyers.

14 hours ago, bobruss said:

It all adds up.

Hmm... I wonder if these companies will support Texas Central Railway in their plan to use Japanese train technology.  

• Like 1

I'm sure there is a lot of talk with the Japanese and their interest to develop the high speed rail in this country. They could really exacerbate it coming to fruition with some investment money and technology.

The thing about Houston that makes it such an interesting market. Just like Marvy said yesterday about real estate. Location, location, location. Main at Main.

We have the location. We have the port and the airports. Our air traffic has seen huge growth both intl. and domestic and cargo tonnage has gone up with it.

The port of Houston is a much bigger incubator for business than most would realize. One of the things that I have read is that a number of very large plants and distribution centers are making or plan to make the Houston/gulf coast area their central and regional distribution points for the central U. S market, thanks to our location and easy access to the now enlarged Panama Canal and with our comparably lower cost of doing business and living expenses compared with the east and west coast cities. 

If and when the space port actually becomes a reality that will really help the aerospace industry,  and all of its offshoots  thrive.

I'm sure that it will also create another tourist industry down the road.

Having a coastal town like Galveston doesn't hurt with its thriving tourist cruise ship market expanding.

Those people fly to Houston first then drive to Galveston. They all see whats happening here.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

"They could really exacerbate it coming to fruition with some investment money and technology."

I'll assume that you meant 'expedite' since exacerbate means to make a problem or situation worse.

He also didn't leave a space between all his paragraphs, and there are some incomplete sentences. What is happening to HAIF.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What can I say. I was in a hurry and wasn't paying total attention. Besides I like the word exacerbate.

I guess I slept through english grammar  too many times. 

Obviously you got my point. I really hope this doesn't cost me a detention, or force me  to stay after school and write expedite 500 times on the chalkboard.

1 hour ago, Brooklyn173 said:

"They could really exacerbate it coming to fruition with some investment money and technology."

I'll assume that you meant 'expedite' since exacerbate means to make a problem or situation worse.

• Like 3

Does Hines use multiple different architects for office projects? They use Pickard Chilton a lot, right? I wonder what their crowned towers look like.

Edit:

A few:

Houston knockoff (current fad)

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/canal-place

Japan

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/y2

Gag me

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/pinnacle

We know these, nice, of course

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/four-seasons-place

What could have been, The Woodlands

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/town-center-district

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, lockmat said:

Does Hines use multiple different architects for office projects? They use Pickard Chilton a lot, right? I wonder what their crowned towers look like.

Edit:

A few:

Houston knockoff (current fad)

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/canal-place

Japan

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/y2

Gag me

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/pinnacle

We know these, nice, of course

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/four-seasons-place

What could have been, The Woodlands

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/town-center-district

I always liked that Woodlands one, would love to see that kind of warm, inviting architecture on Market Square. Somebody tell Stream.

Cesar Pelli absolutely takes them to school in Kuala Lumpur, I don't even know why they took that commission.

The Japan one might be a preview of what the Texas Ave. retail will be like. Pretty nice.

I doubt the crown will be like the Pinnacle since they probably won't put a rooftop deck that high and exposed. Maybe something like what they did in Atlanta or Oklahoma City. Neither is spectacular.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how Hines orients the new building and top feature.  My bet is that they will make the biggest impact facing west, with a tower situated on a north/south-ish axis as opposed to the BG Place and 609 Main towers, which are on situated on the east/west-ish direction and make the biggest impacts to when viewed from the north (obviously, since you can't necessarily see them from the West).  But, this building will be highly visible form the North, East and West. 

• Like 3

On 5/8/2018 at 11:15 AM, Nate99 said:

Indeed. 

BSW-Houston-1982PRINT_large.jpg

I love it !  Would be so nice to see Houston finally break that 75 story "ceiling" as it were.  Wishful thinking I know, but a couple of big towers between 80 and 100 floors would do wonders for our already impressive skyline and prestige !!

• Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 10:12 AM, HoustonIsHome said:

I'm hoping for a cool crown too. 

Something not too eccentric but modern.

As far as vacancy I'm hoping some of the older buildings can be repurposed to residential ala Texaco/Star. 

Htown I'm with you on the Texas street pedestrian thoroughfare. Love The Rice verandah idea. As for the buildings south of the Enron buildings all 6 or so should be converted to residential. That includes the Exxon, Continental,  KBR,  500 Jefferson, 600 Jefferson/ 1801 Smith, 701 Jefferson Garage, Hell on Earth.... Would be nice if all of them were converted to residential. That should be more than 4M SQ alone.

I take it that Hell On Earth is the old Days Inn hotel sitting vacant for ages.  :D