Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Downtown's buildings are huge in termd of floor plates. I wonder how downtown would feel with multiple towers per blocks with alleys in between and narrower streets

Because of the need for garage podiums that isn't likely. Plus our blocks are pretty small. I've been wondering if we should start converting blocks south and southwest of downtown into superblocks. Would allow for more variety in building form.

• Like 3

How do the blocks downtown compare in size to other cities? I kinda like rectangular blocks over square ones. Imo our blocks are not long enough but a bit too wide.

The way they are now make for a very neat and regular core. But I'm a fan of irregular and chaos. That's my favorite thing about a set up like say Boston. 

Are the blocks downtown smaller than uptown Nola? I think the narrower streets there change the whole feel.

In Houston with the order you know exactly what to expect when you turn the corner. I guess you are right, the super blocks in midtown at least mixes things up a bit, but downtown is a bit too orderly for me. You can move a lot more people in and out quicker, but maybe those people should be staying around for awhile. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

How do the blocks downtown compare in size to other cities? I kinda like rectangular blocks over square ones. Imo our blocks are not long enough but a bit too wide.

The way they are now make for a very neat and regular core. But I'm a fan of irregular and chaos. That's my favorite thing about a set up like say Boston. 

Are the blocks downtown smaller than uptown Nola? I think the narrower streets there change the whole feel.

In Houston with the order you know exactly what to expect when you turn the corner. I guess you are right, the super blocks in midtown at least mixes things up a bit, but downtown is a bit too orderly for me. You can move a lot more people in and out quicker, but maybe those people should be staying around for awhile. 

image.png.dfb96a6cca0af7007e6293467464fd35.png

Houston

Wouldnt let me upload New Orleans screen shot, but their blocks vary in size. I found a sort of consistent area that had perimeter of 1426 ft

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

You not only hit the nail on the head, but your logical conclusion is exactly correct. I like the square ones for showcasing singular large scale buildings, but rectangular blocks, with their length, just offer way more variety in building type, and plat layout. This is why I think South and Southwest part of Downtown would be a great area to experiment with this. It doesn't have that need to quickly move people in and out of large scale buildings like North and Northwest. Chicago is mostly rectangular. New York is all rectangular. You can not only stack multiple large scale buildings, but also midrises, and at the same time they can squeeze together and create better street level experience. You just don't get that with square ones with one big building and even with small buildings you can't enjoy a walk for long because you always get interrupted by the street grid too soon.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2019 at 10:35 PM, jmitch94 said:

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but for a super tall to be built in downtown land values would have to skyrocket for it to be worth it to the developer.  

I have to respectfully disagree.  Houston has already surpassed even our wildest expectations in the past decade and there really is nothing holding back the right developer and architect from wanting to make a real statement here, despite land values.  Look at other super talls built in other countries in areas no one ever thought would have such a thing.  And, from their own accounts, land values had nothing to do with the decision to build, only prestige and desire.  Plus, once these giant buildings were built, THEN, land values skyrocketed.  Can be sort of a "chicken and the egg" which comes first issue.  But, I have tremendous faith in Houston and always have.  Haven't been disappointed yet in the direction we are heading and don't plan to be let down anytime soon.

• Like 1

Now on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Under Construction". For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

If any of the above is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.

Sorry @Luminare, are you going to bump every thread to mention the status of said project? I think you should mention what to keep an eye on for updates in the development list thread and for whatever new projects pop up in the future, let us know when you've added them to the map.

In the future I'll help out by including the developer, architect, renderings, location and construction timeline in the first post for said project.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Sorry @Luminare, are you going to bump every thread to mention the status of said project? I think you should mention what to keep an eye on for updates in the development list thread.

In the future I'll help out by including the developer, architect, renderings, location and construction timeline in the first post for said project.

Yeah probably right. Guess I got a bit ahead of myself. I'll post status updates as they go on a per thread basis. Besides might be enough posts in threads to make this Map more visible. I'm going to keep working on the map throughout this week and then post an official thread for the Map itself which I'll being doing updates at the end of each week. I'll ask for it to be pinned at that time.

If you want to remove my posts in those threads to get rid of clutter then I'm fine with that.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Yeah probably right. Guess I got a bit ahead of myself. I'll post status updates as they go on a per thread basis. Besides might be enough posts in threads to make this Map more visible. I'm going to keep working on the map throughout this week and then post an official thread for the Map itself which I'll being doing updates at the end of each week. I'll ask for it to be pinned at that time.

Sounds good. In the meantime I've added your map to the first post in the development list thread. Thanks for putting this together!

• Like 1

Just now, Urbannizer said:

Sounds good. In the meantime I've added your map to the first post in the development list thread. Thanks for putting this together!

My pleasure. Sounds like a good place to put the map for now. Maybe for that general development thread you have we can just comb over those images and give it a refresh once a month.

Just went back and looked at the renderings, and I think the square podium will be nearly as tall as the Rice. This is going to take up a lot of perceived volume from the street, it will look imposing. 

As for a webcam, I haven't heard of one, but then you do have this thread. 

ed3992ef-677d-4435-a0f3-7a528c466719.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

thanks for all the photo updates everyone.  this project is really a site to behold.  you can almost see the changes happening from a distance every day.  Won't be very long and this new skyscraper will rise and take it's place among the most beautiful skyline in America IMHO.

• Like 6