Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, keaton said:

I've moved more to the north now in the Rice, so I can't see the whole block anymore but thinking about a livestream from my window. Any camera experts who can recommend a good one?

I've been very happy with the Amcrest 4 megapixel (halfway between full HD and 4K resolution) camera.  I use it with Blue Iris software which supports YouTube live streaming; I haven't checked to see whether you can do live streaming with cheaper/free software.  Best thing is they are designed in Houston (but built in China by Dahua); Amcrest is based out of the Energy Corridor.

This is the model I've used but they have both cheaper and more expensive models too.  It's currently $92.54 shipped including tax, after the 10% new customer discount:

https://amcrest.com/amcrest-ultrahd-4mp-dual-band-wifi-video-security-ip-camera-pt-black-ip4m-1051b.html

As an alternative, if you have an old cell phone you can set one up to stream to YouTube too.  That won't cost you anything, but the picture quality will be significantly worse.

Another alternative is what I did for my construction webcam.  It's also an old cell phone, but it takes still 3-megapixel photos every 5 minutes and uploads them to my server.  That has the added cost of needing to configure and maintain a server (or I suppose you could use your PC if you leave it on 24/7), and won't give you live video, but even cell phones as old as the 7-year-old Galaxy S2 that I use can take decent photos.  You can see its results here:

http://webcam.rechlin.net/811main/

• Like 7

very impressive.  this build is going up fast and I'm looking forward to it and the Preston and a few others changing downtown and it's awesome skyline even more than the last round that finished about a year ago !  By far, I think Houston has the biggest building boom happening in the U.S. right now, at least changes that are very apparent and visible to those who come to visit.  Keep up the good work developers, contractors, architects and everyone making this the most exciting building boom in many decades !

• Like 8
  • Haha 1