Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, hindesky said:

Unfortunately this project for the surface lot looks too nice, lots of money being spent which doesn't bode well for a future high rise anytime soon.

I'd guess that the costs sunk in to the parking lot aren't going to move the needle much for a future investment opportunity, whenever that comes around.  I see it more as a nice gesture on Hines' part keeping the place from looking rough like the International Tower block next door was before they started in on it.

In 30 years, those trees could nicely shade the sidewalks. one can hope that we won't find out.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

I'd guess that the costs sunk in to the parking lot aren't going to move the needle much for a future investment opportunity, whenever that comes around.  I see it more as a nice gesture on Hines' part keeping the place from looking rough like the International Tower block next door was before they started in on it.

In 30 years, those trees could nicely shade the sidewalks. one can hope that we won't find out.

one would think the parking fees will pay for the lot for and then some by the time construction begins.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Hey the site works again. Management should create a twitter account to post updates on outages and maintenance periods. 

Just a thought.

It's only partially working. Search and Latest Posts don't work at all. I'm not sure what's going on here but the site is pretty useless as is.

It's $20 per day, no hourly rates or in and out privileges.  They also just started offering monthly contracts - IDK how much those cost.  Nevertheless, it's better than the Toyota Center parking that Houston First is using to substitute for The Catacombs (unless one just likes adding a half hour plus each way to the daily commute for those of us in the NW corner of downtown).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cspwal said:

Why is there a clearance sign if it's a surface lot?  The only low clearance object in it is the clearance sign

You have to remember that there's nothing but dirt and asphalt under there; no concrete. A couple over-sized trucks could do more damage than the extra cost of the sign.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hines and Stream/Essex/Linbeck, itching and yearning to beat each other out of the ground, especially with the lawsuit animosity. I just hope that Hines does something a LITTLE DIFFERENT this time and not another Pickard Chilton, subtle-variation-on-the-same-blue-glass-theme tower. Not that the first two were bad, but it's getting a little repetitive. Or maybe they'll just keep turning them out and it will be like the 21st century version of all of Mies' tinted glass buildings in Chicago.

• Like 3

Didn't the render for 6HC already claim the little wrench? 

I'm still interested in what they could accomplish by incorporating the old Chronicle garage spot in to their project. It might just be more garage, but that still could open up the development of the Texas St. block in to something that doesn't have to incorporate 9 levels of parking in its podium.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Timoric said:

Little wrench anyone? No seriously, I know that it has been stated Houston can't support super talls anymore at the price per square feet we can garner, but what is the smallest we can expect with amount Hines spent, what did he pay for demo and land $30M?

I believe they paid $50m+ for just the land. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Didn't the render for 6HC already claim the little wrench? 

I'm still interested in what they could accomplish by incorporating the old Chronicle garage spot in to their project. It might just be more garage, but that still could open up the development of the Texas St. block in to something that doesn't have to incorporate 9 levels of parking in its podium.

That could be interesting. That spot also could become another residential tower, or I could easily see demand for a highrise upscale hotel to serve this neighborhood. Although it would be attractive to have an office tower without a garage stuck in, I am not sure that $500/SF land is something that you would put a garage on without anything above it. Also, no one is building office towers with floorplates that take up a full block (since these are high-amenity buildings where tenants want to be near windows), so better to have your garage on the same block with you since you can't build anything else vertical there anyway (so as not to block the views) than across the street where you can build something else vertical. If that makes sense.

Hines' original concept for this tower included a very non-parking garage use on the ground floor. But that idea is now gone with the Jones Hall renovation. That's about all I can say on that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

That could be interesting. That spot also could become another residential tower, or I could easily see demand for a highrise upscale hotel to serve this neighborhood. Although it would be attractive to have an office tower without a garage stuck in, I am not sure that $500/SF land is something that you would put a garage on without anything above it. Also, no one is building office towers with floorplates that take up a full block (since these are high-amenity buildings where tenants want to be near windows), so better to have your garage on the same block with you since you can't build anything else vertical there anyway (so as not to block the views) than across the street where you can build something else vertical. If that makes sense.

Hines' original concept for this tower included a very non-parking garage use on the ground floor. But that idea is now gone with the Jones Hall renovation. That's about all I can say on that.

A Carnegie Hall style tower base? That would've been sublime. 

• Like 1